towing a car behind a motorhome insurance

Guest Vi

Can anyone help regarding Insurance for towing the car behind the Motorhome, the A FRAME is Insured and a Trailer,but not the atcual car.Yes I know towing is a vey grey area,but you see more and more people doing so.They must have the car insured whilst towing.But where do I get that insurance from.PLEASE HELP.

Vi The obvious answer is the car insurance. Have you advised your car insurance company that it's being towed behind a motorhome? If they can't (won't) help perhaps another insurer can. Regards Neal

Hello Vi Our motorhome is insured with Safeguard which insures the towed Yaris as a trailer - unless it becomes detached and then it is the car insurance - but you need to make sure you notify both insurers that you are towing the car. good luck david

The standard insurance position is as follows: 1. When towing a trailer (which is what the car is supposed to become) the towing vehicle's insurance provides Third Party cover for the trailer. But Third Party ONLY - i.e., if the trailer becomes detached and damages something/someone else. 2. If the trailer is at all unusual (e.g., a glider trailer or a towed car) then it is wise to contact the towing vehicle's insurers and check the Third Party cover is OK. 3. Comprehensive cover for the trailer and its contents has to be purchased elsewhere. Thus for a glider trailer, this cover is provided as part of the glider insurance policy. You will thus need to check with the insurers of the towed car that they are happy to continue providing cover when it is under tow. 4. I used to tow a car (I gave up as it was far too much trouble and hassle) and had no problem getting comp cover confirmed from the underwriters. This was for two different insurers (we switched insurers at one renewal date). I'm afraid this is just one of the hassles of towing a car!

• 8 months later...

Archived