Calais region Aires with electricity

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Going to France for a long weekend, October half term. I need access to electricity some of the time to charge the batteries of my electric bike. which Aires have electricity in the north coastal region?. Likely stops are, Bolougne, le Touquet and St Valery sur Somme......

Is there a nice safe Aire at Bolougne? as we have visited but have never stopped there.

Unless someone can provide advice about specific aires de services in the region you plan to visit, your best bet would be to use the campingcar-infos website to check out what's available in departements 62 and 80. I think the only service point at Boulogne itself may be at an Auchan supermarket.

It also needs saying that, if you intend to plug in a charger to a 230V service-point and this ties up the 'borne' completely for an hour (ie. prevents it providing water), then you won't be popular if anyone else wants to use it. You might be better off in terms of security and provision of 230V services by choosing to overnight on an inexpensive campsite.

JudgeMental - 2008-10-03 11:25 PM

Going to France for a long weekend, October half term. I need access to electricity some of the time to charge the batteries of my electric bike. which Aires have electricity in the north coastal region?. Likely stops are, Bolougne, le Touquet and St Valery sur Somme......

Is there a nice safe Aire at Bolougne? as we have visited but have never stopped there.

Their is one just south of Bolougne, Equihen-Plage N5040.787 E00134.117.

One at Le Touquet Paris Plage N5032.142 E 00135.593

JudgeMental - 2008-10-03 11:25 PM

Hi;

There is an aire at Le Portel, just to the west of Bolougne. We have stayed there twice. In our opinion it is safe but not in the most picturesque of locations in a built up area next to the Football/Sports centre. There is an elecricity box on the wall with several outlets, a few vans were plugged in on our visits but we never used it. Its all free.

You can also park just up the road in the small carpark by the lighthouse which is a better location but obviously you wouldn't be able to use the leccy then *-)

>CC-INFOS Link<

pete

Hi Judge

Have you tried looking to Marinas / Being ex sailors we know it's possible to park up at quiet a few of them. Usually for free. but may have to pay for electric hook up.

Found two in in the latest aires book (in English)

both at le touquet paris plage Sat nav N50.32.142 E 001.35.593 Price E6.50 for 24hrs

N50.31.585 E 001.35.907 Price the same

We just got back last week from France, and noted that a lot of the supermarkets are putty up height barriers usually 3 mtrs, but one was only 2.3mtr! and that was for getting fuel!. Also noticed that price of deisel was higher than petrol. our local Tesco is cheaper.!

Hope the weather is good (*but being half term probably not)

I had problems changing my French gas bottles at one supermarket because she couldn't see the vehicle so she refused at first to serve me. I had to point out that their height barrier (for fuel) was much too low for a m/home! In the end I got the gas but on pricinpal did not visit the supermarket.

I returned from France on Friday and in all places the diesel was cheaper than petrol. I paid about 1.29 euros and petrol was about 1.40 to 1..50.

I also stayed at Le Touquet in early June on the yacht aire where there was probably electric at the borne but not on individual parking places. I was also told by someone that the electric hook-ups have gone from the other aire by the riding school.

Surely it's rather unreasonable to EXPECT to have free Aires supplied with electricity paid for by someone else!

If electricity is needed then there are plenty of campsites offering it - at a price.

Today the world is stuffed full of free loaders.

Guest JudgeMental
djchapple - 2008-10-06 11:32 AM

Surely it's rather unreasonable to EXPECT to have free Aires supplied with electricity paid for by someone else!

If electricity is needed then there are plenty of campsites offering it - at a price.

Today the world is stuffed full of free loaders.

Are you having some difficulty with the english lanquage? and no need to shout either...... Where in this thread does it say anyone expects to use an Aire for free or get free electricity *-)

Furtermore not many sites open in the winter 8-)

I'm with the Judge on this. Cos I'm looking for exactly the same only 2 weeks later.

Can anyone confirm that the hookups at the Hippodrome Le Touquet have gone for good. They had certainly been disconnected in late Jan 2007 when the refurbishment of the site started. Not visited since. Both aires at le Touquet charge on weekends and public holidays when the marina aire can be chock a block.

Le Portel at Boulogne is in my opinion not good I decided to move off in Feb this year. It just looked too rough for me. There were a number of old motorhomes parked but these where from someone who was using the aire to park stock. There was also a number of people who just appeared to be "nosing" around. Finished up parking overnight at the Tunnel. The site at Auchan is passable but no electricity

Le Treport is good but you pay for it and it may be too far for you.

Whats the aire like at Gravelines?

I've some sympathy with djchapple's comment as, in my view, the worst thing a French municipality can do is provide 230V connections (free or otherwise) at camping-car aires de services.

The aire at Forges-les-Eaux was mentioned earlier. This used to be free but now there's a parking charge. According to an entry on the campingcar-infos website the reason for the charge being imposed was because the free 230V hook-ups were being overly exploited.

Another aire (which I'm not going to name) that has numerous free 230V points and a 'pay for water' service pedestal has a sensible maximum parking capacity of 20 motorhomes. The campingcar-infos website mentions an instance of 32 motorhomes managing to shoe-horn themselves in and of caravan 'travellers' also using the aire because of electricity being available free. We visited it last month and 17 motorhomes were there. Most were using the 230V points, but none 'bought' water.

Stayed at Le Portel last week , there were over 30 Mh,s there , seems to be safe and quite at night , also there 4 hook up,s first come first served , always the French. Another good thing there is an Intermarche super market 200 yards away and the garage stayes open all day diesel was 1.25 euro.If you like muscles do what the french were doing go down to the beach and pick your own

Guest JudgeMental

In season we always stop at sites. When we use Aires we are never bother regards electricity as we have 2 batteries and an inverter so it is not normally a concern.

I was at Honefleur Aire in the spring and we observed it was a bit of a bun fight there to get electric... with long leads and adapters required to share supply and to be honest we are not that desperate or confrontational lol

This was only a casual request as one charge of bike battery is probably enough for a long weekend anyway, plus I can charge of the inverter on the move if necessary.

One thing, there is a tiny minority at play on this forum that help foster the unfriendly reputation it has elsewhere. Thanks for all the unprejudiced and helpful replies! :-D

JudgeMental - 2008-10-06 5:47 PM

no need to shout either...... )

What is this about "shout" - how can you shout when writing?

Regrding the aire at Le Portel, the electricity is only connected for a short period, determined by a time clock which has not always been reset to Summer Time or Winter Time. The periods it is theoretically available are on the notice board, but, if my memory serves me write, it was only 2 hours from around 7am to 9am.

Guest JudgeMental
BrianR - 2008-10-07 8:53 PM

JudgeMental - 2008-10-06 5:47 PM

no need to shout either...... )

What is this about "shout" - how can you shout when writing?

Iternet etiquette dictates that when one uses full words in capital letters in forums etc...It is regarded as shouting.

By example: BE QUIET & LISTEN TO ME WHILE I AM INTURUPTING YOU!:-D

starvin marvin - 2008-10-06 10:59 PM

I'm with the Judge on this. Cos I'm looking for exactly the same only 2 weeks later.

Can anyone confirm that the hookups at the Hippodrome Le Touquet have gone for good. They had certainly been disconnected in late Jan 2007 when the refurbishment of the site started. Not visited since. Both aires at le Touquet charge on weekends and public holidays when the marina aire can be chock a block.

Hello Starvin,

We use the equestrain centre alot I can definately confirm that the electricity spots have gone .

There is one Borne only Iam sorry I can't tell you how much as we never used it but I have posted a piccy of it I just can't remember on what thread if I find it I will bring it back for you .

Of course there is always the campsite in Le Touquet Le Stoneham .

We have used alot nice and clean really quiet run by nice people only to happy to help .Toilets and showers little park and a boules area .

The site shuts in Nov and opens again in Feb I remember this as its always open just intime for the Le Touquet Quad racing.

The prices are not to bad if I remember correctly .

Archived