Spare Bulbs ? How many

enodreven

Hi,

Just sorting out getting ready for our trip to Spain and i have been looking at my collection of spare bulbs, does anyone know what constitutes a set, is it just one of each type ? what does the French/Spanish law require

any advice would be welcome

Hi, Just out of interest as you never know it could happen

If you were pulled over for a bulb would they expect you to change the bulb yourself,

Or could you call your breakdown company, and if you did call the breakdown company would they (the breakdown Company) charge you or is this just part of the breakdown cover

Anyone know the answers

Oh and by the way double check that you do have the correct bulbs in your sets as some of them don't always have the one you will need included and its bit late to find that out in the middle of the night in darkest France ???

My 2004/5 Ducato front cluster needs each side

1 - H7

1 - H1

1 - W5W

1 - PY21W (amber coloured)

I can give you the rest of the bulbs for the rear but they will change from vehicle to vehicle.

Just as an aside, Aldi have recently had emergency bulb kits in for about £4 and they include Xenon bubls to replace the normal halogen ones. These are not High intensity HID lamps but direct replacements for the more normal Halogen types and they do give more light output. They had a variety of kits in including H4 and H7 type bulbs.

D.

Hi, Dave

Thanks for the info just been around to our local Aldi and they don't have any, when I asked the manager he said they may get them back in a few weeks, I will check another Aldi just in case they have some left

Thanks

davenewell@home - 2008-10-05 11:50 AM

Just as an aside, Aldi have recently had emergency bulb kits in for about £4 and they include Xenon bubls to replace the normal halogen ones. These are not High intensity HID lamps but direct replacements for the more normal Halogen types and they do give more light output. They had a variety of kits in including H4 and H7 type bulbs.

D.

By all means carry spare bulbs in Spain, but don't worry at all about the law on them here.....the Police NEVER check.

Honestly, never.

Maybe 10% or more of all vehicles over here have one or more bulb not working.

The Police only check three things if you get a pull: your driving licence, ID, and proof of insurance.

They don't look over the vehicle at all.

Also of course, all the shops and garages here stock spare bulbs.

Some time ago I sought advice from the Caravan Club about this regarding France.

The CC's touring handbook states that spare bulbs are an essential (ie. legal) requirement for vehicles being driven in France. I believed this was not the case, so I asked the CC the following question - Assuming there was indeed a legal obligation for drivers to carry spare bulbs, which specific vehicle lights should those bulbs relate to and how many spares bulbs were required?

I never received a reply from the CC, so I attempted to confirm the position by consulting a copy of the French Highway Code. My resultant understanding is that (unlike recently introduced regulations regarding reflectorised-waistcoats/warning-triangles) there is no legal requirement for drivers in France to carry spare bulbs for their vehicles. Nevertheless, it is strongly recommended that drivers do carry spare bulbs and the tools needed to replace failed bulbs at the roadside.

If you are stopped by French police because of a failed light-bulb, having a replacement bulb immediately to hand, plus the tools and capability to fit it, doesn't automatically mean that you won't be fined for driving with defective lights. However, it will mean that, after the fault has been rectified, you will be allowed to continue your journey. Otherwise, there's every chance the police will insist your vehicle goes no further until the failed bulb has been replaced.

As there seems to be no French legal requirement to carry spare bulbs, which spare bulbs (and how many of each) one should be advised to carry really boils down to which lights on your vehicle are obligatory and which aren't and (assuming we are all driving UK-registered motorhomes) this will be defined by the UK's Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations. It's a mite complex and will vary from motorhome to motorhome - all I can suggest is that common sense should prevail.

Braunston:

I've not researched the spare-bulb situation for Spain (the CC Handbook states that spare bulbs are an essential requirement) and I'm uncertain what the position would be regarding breakdown insurance.

My own policy provides up to £175 of cover for roadside assistance in the event of breakdown, but doesn’t define what actually constitutes a 'breakdown'. Not sure if being stopped by the French police for a duff light-bulb would count. In any case, on many modern vehicles - my Transit for example - replacement for some bulbs is a garage job rather than a simple roadside task. Why don't you ask your breakdown-insurance provider, as it's an interesting point?

Is there a serious issue about headlamp bulbs though?

I'm told that many UK-pattern headlamp bulbs (in particular the combined H4 type) are offset differently for the UK and are very hard to get in Europe. I've never tested it myself because I've always carried spare bulbs both at home and abroad.

By the way the universal 'sets' are often pretty useless because they don't necessarily contain the bulbs you need for your own vehicle! I carry spares that I know fit all my exterior lights, a couple of each is generally OK but it doesn't take much working out to adjust that up or down once you've listed all the types you might need.

Whatever the regs I can honestly say that having these to hand has made my life much easier on more than one occasion over the years.

Surely replacing any 'Road Legal' bulbs should NEVER be a 'Garage only' job ? thats like saying only a garage can check/top up your oil level or water. I understand that vehicles have 'moved on' since the 60's .But we are talking basic safety skills here. I remember when 'Sealed Beam' headlights meant that if an element blew, you DID have to go to a dealers to get a complete new headlamp....but that was back in the 70's. They didn't last long simply because they were very expensive to replace,and too many people were driving around with only one headlamp(sound familiar ?). I have had some that were 'Difficult' to change but never impossible (yet !) come on Guys ! don't you hate 'one eyed Jacks'

especially now the winter is here ? :D :D

Hi, Rayjsj

I can assure you that to replace the headlight bulb or any other bulb in either of the front headlight clusters on a 2003 Ducato needs several tools and you need to have a reasonable amount of dexterity,

I certainly know some very competent drivers who are not mechanically minded who would have a lot of difficulty in changing any of the bulbs.

Albeit I do agree that this does seem strange as i would have thought by now they would have made the changing of bulbs easy on all vehicles

Rayjsj - 2008-10-05 7:24 PM

Surely replacing any 'Road Legal' bulbs should NEVER be a 'Garage only' job ? thats like saying only a garage can check/top up your oil level or water. I understand that vehicles have 'moved on' since the 60's .But we are talking basic safety skills here. I remember when 'Sealed Beam' headlights meant that if an element blew, you DID have to go to a dealers to get a complete new headlamp....but that was back in the 70's. They didn't last long simply because they were very expensive to replace,and too many people were driving around with only one headlamp(sound familiar ?). I have had some that were 'Difficult' to change but never impossible (yet !) come on Guys ! don't you hate 'one eyed Jacks'

especially now the winter is here ? :D :D

My cars and van are easy enough to change, but they're old.

I know several new cars where the headlight bulb change is a dealer job, either the bumper has to be removed, or the engine drip tray, or the inner wing stoneguards, and then maybe the headlight as well.

Neillking:

You've been advised wrongly about 'UK' headlamp bulbs.

There are international technical standards that finely define vehicle light-bulb specifications and (for example) there's no difference in the basic specification of a H4 bulb used in a RHD vehicle with left-dipping headlamps and a H4 bulb used in a LHD vehicle with right-dipping headlamps. The direction of the dipped beam is controlled either by the headlamp's outer lens or by its reflectors - all the H4 bulb does is produce light.

If you purchase an 'ordinary' H4 bulb anywhere within the UK and another 'ordinary' H4 bulb anywhere outside the UK, both bulbs will have identical specifications and can be used interchangeably in any H4-bulb-accepting headlight. I've deliberately used the term 'ordinary' because one of the technical standards relating to an H4 bulb is that its wattage be 60W/55W. However, provided that the wattage remains 60W/55W, it is permissible for the light-output of a H4 bulb to vary (eg. the H4 'Xenon' bulbs mentioned earlier by Dave Newell). Clearly it's not a great idea to have an 'ordinary' H4 bulb in one headlight and a 'Xenon' H4 bulb (with its greater light-output) in the other, but there's no technical problem doing this and (I think) no legal prohibition. It is possible to obtain bulbs with the H4 base-fitting that employ much higher wattage (eg. 120W/100W). But such bulbs don't comply with the H4 standard and are marketed with the caveat that they should only be used off-road.

Anyway, the main point is that, if a H4, H1, H7, etc, bulb fails on a vehicle, any equivalent H4, H1, H7, etc. bulb you can lay your hands on should provide a direct and uncontroversial replacement.

Ravjsj:

The Ford handbook for my Transit includes a section on light-bulb replacement that contains the following advice:

"Note: Replacing a bulb on vehicles with air conditioning may prove to be difficult as several parts have to be removed first. Therefore it is recommended that you have the bulb replaced by an expert."

Now (as I believe I've said before), I've got the mechanical skills of a Formula One mechanic and the manual dexterity of a neurosurgeon, but I don't rate headlamp-bulb replacement on my Transit at the roadside as a practical proposition. I have explored changing the headlamp-bulb on the light that isn't masked by air-con components and that was bad enough, so I'm definitely not going to be attempting a roadside bulb-change on the other headlamp when it's visually plain that significant engine parts need to be removed to gain the necessary access.

Obviously it's not "impossible" to replace my Transit's headlamp bulbs (I never said it was) - just bloody awkward and time-consuming. Realistically, if I were stopped by the police at night with a failed headlight bulb and they suggested I carried out an on-the-spot bulb replacement, then I'd politely refuse.

I fully agree with you that it should be reasonably quick and easy to replace bulbs in vehicle lights that legally need to be operative and I don't enjoy knowing that this isn't so with my Transit. But there's not a lot that I can do about it.

Hi,

Just contacted my breakdown company and explained the situation and while the first suggestions was can I change it myself ? when I explained that i was unable due to the complexity they confirmed that they could see no reason why i wouldn't be covered and that if required they would send out emergency assistance, which I think sounds like a very fair response

hope that helps

Braunston

I've been following this thread and I have now found out after checking my van that the spare bulbs I have won't do the job. I've got two H4 bulbs that are now surplus to requirements.

So it now seems I'm looking for

1 - H7

1 - H1

1 - W5W

1 - PY21W (amber coloured)

Plus other for the rear light clusters which I think I have.

Thanks to Braunston I will be legal when I hit the road in December.

I would be interested to know where you got the details of the bulbs from because I started a thread on the Motorhome List and the details would be useful posted there.

Thanks Braunston for a very useful thread.

Don

braunston - 2008-10-04 9:47 PM

Hi,

Just sorting out getting ready for our trip to Spain and i have been looking at my collection of spare bulbs, does anyone know what constitutes a set, is it just one of each type ? what does the French/Spanish law require

any advice would be welcome

The simple answer is enough to replace everyone of the road lights.

This may not be and probably isn't a legal requirement but it is a common sense requirement.

Derek Uzzell - 2008-10-06 7:04 PM

Don:

Aren't the bulb-types for your Timberland's lights listed in the base-vehicle's Owner's Handbook, as that's the case with the Ford Transit handbook relating to my Hobby? Or is that a silly question for motorhomes that are Fiat-based? ;-)

Hi Derek,

The bulbs listed in the handbook I have are for the previous model. About par for the course where Fiat are concerned.

I've got a list of bulbs I need it's just a matter of finding somewhere to buy them.

My local Fiat dealer is about as much use as an ash tray on a motor bike.

Don

Most Motorists Shops, including Halfords, usually stock a wide range of car bulbs.

I have never had much trouble getting the bulbs.

My problem has usually been finding out which one to buy (easiest) and then finding out how to get into the lamp to replace it (harder).

• 5 weeks later...

We are new to having a motorhome and when we bought the new Fiat Ducatothis year I asked the supplier about spare bulbs as we were going to France Spain and Portugal. He sent me to their own shop who sold me a prepacked set of bulbs. After reading the comments in this forum I am not sure now if I have the correct bulbs. I cannot check against the manual because the one supplied with the vehicle is for a previous model.

Can anyone let me have a list of necessary bulbs for the front lights and indicators of a 2008 (manufactured Feb 2007) Fiat Ducato. I could then check this against my pack and if necessary buy the lamps I do not have.

Thanks everyone for a good forum

Geoff Tuckley - 2008-11-07 2:31 PM We are new to having a motorhome and when we bought the new Fiat Ducatothis year I asked the supplier about spare bulbs as we were going to France Spain and Portugal. He sent me to their own shop who sold me a prepacked set of bulbs. After reading the comments in this forum I am not sure now if I have the correct bulbs. I cannot check against the manual because the one supplied with the vehicle is for a previous model. Can anyone let me have a list of necessary bulbs for the front lights and indicators of a 2008 (manufactured Feb 2007) Fiat Ducato. I could then check this against my pack and if necessary buy the lamps I do not have. Thanks everyone for a good forum

Geoff

Not clear if you have a motorhome based upon a Ducato, a panel van conversion of a Ducato, or a Ducato van.  However, so far as the Fiat manual is concerned, I'd suggest you go to the parts department of a Fiat Commercial dealer and give them your vehicle VIN.  Then show them the supplied manual, and ask them if they can supply the correct one.  Since the wrong one came with the vehicle the replacement should be FOC, but even if you have to pay it is not that expensive, and the correct manual is somewhat indispensable.  That will tell you about the standard bulbs for the Ducato.  The dealership should have supplied the correct set for the standard van.  If he did not, get that replaced by the dealership as goods wrongly supplied.

If your Ducato is the base for a coachbuilt motorhome, the converter's manual should relate to the year of conversion of your van.  Therefore, go back to the motorhome dealer who supplied it and insist he provides you with the correct manual since, as with the Ducato manual, the correct manual is indispensable.  Whether the manual correctly lists all the lights added by the converter can only be verified by checking t'other against which.  However, it is very unlikely that any blister pack of lamps will suit a coachbuilt motorhome, and in this case you will have to check the pack contents against both the motorhome manual, and the vehicle, to be sure.  I don't think there is any way around this, motorhomes commonly have completely different rear light clusters, high level marker lights, and side marker lights, from the base vehicle, and A class vans frequently have different head, side and indicator lights as well.

As regards legality, Michelin agrees with Derek, that carrying spares is not a legal requirement for France.  However, from the same source, it is a legal requirement for Andorra, Bosnia, Czech Republic, Spain, Hungary, Croatia, Macedonia and Slovakia.  Since all those countries except Spain and Andorra also require daylight running lights, the chances of being stopped for a defective light - and then found wanting - will be increased.  Simplest remedy, check what is required, and then get the appropriate lamps.

There's now NO legal requirement any longer to carry spare light bulbs in your vehicle in Spain.

The requirement was removed last month.

If you read Spanish , this is a report on the decree from Pere Navarro which changed this law:

http://www.lasprovincias.es/alicante/20081008/mas-actualidad/espana/habra-multas-llevar-luces-200810081501.html

I'm not saying it ain't a good idea to carry spare bulbs....or just go to a shop here and buy another one if one of yours blows.....but it ain't a legal requirement any more.

You might want to print off this news to show to anyone in Spain who tells you different.....

BGD - 2008-10-05 3:51 PM

By all means carry spare bulbs in Spain, but don't worry at all about the law on them here.....the Police NEVER check.

Honestly, never.

Maybe 10% or more of all vehicles over here have one or more bulb not working.

The Police only check three things if you get a pull: your driving licence, ID, and proof of insurance.

They don't look over the vehicle at all.

Also of course, all the shops and garages here stock spare bulbs.

Then you have been very lucky I have been stoped four times twice for bulbs failing But the good news is that the guardia will if asked change it for you. I have even managed to get them change a tyre for me the rules are that one of the two Guardia in a car should be ! (a first Aider and the other a mechanic )they are more helpfull than any other police that I know of.

Pete

Ps I have just read the change in the law that you submitted There is a good point there in the fact what is the point in carrying replacement bulbs if you do not have the tools to change them.

The trouble with Spain is the law changes almost from week to week and you may find somepolice officer who does not know the new laws and for drivers it's a on the spot fine

pps I have a ford Fiesta and still dont know how you even get to the rear lights

Archived