New 12V hungry motorhomes

djchapple

I have a Devon Monaco Hightop PVC and in most respects I am very pleased with it. The automated gearbox, ride and quality of conversion are very good.

However it is very 12V hungry.

It has umpteen lights, water pump, electronic ignition to the hob, electronic ignition and fan for the warm air heater, electric flush for the toilet and a Waeco 12V compressor type fridge.

So with no 12V hardly anything works.

The van has a 11 Amp/hr battery but no solar panel.

If I go down the solar panel route what size and make should I get and from where should I get it?

Am I likely to get a good offer at the NEC show?

I am reasonably knowledgeable about DIY on MHs and the electrical circuits required so I would fir it myself.

ps - forgot the electric step and awning light.

Hi there,

with all that kit on the end of the 12v, and if you do alot of off 240v hook-up camping you could as a first step look to fitting another battery to double the capacity of your camper. It's a lot cheaper than solar panels.

Hi DJChapple,

I have found that with two 110amp/hr batteries and one 80 watt solar panel will provide all the electricity you will need in summer, in winter you really need two 80 watt solar panels with the two 110amp/hr batteries.

I've found the Elecsol batteries pretty good link http://www.elecsolbatteries.com/ , I have one nearly seven years old and one two years old in parallel, they seem to be coping very well at the moment.

If you can park your MH near to your house, it's feasable to fit a 1000 watt inverter to the MH and pipe in some mains to help out with your electricity bills, while parked up and unused. I use a slow pot (180 watts 240vac) and Microwave (550watts input 240vac) in the kitchen at home, all powered up by the MH standing in the drive.

I have read that if you connect the output of the inverter to the mains at home - the electicity meter will start to run backwards - however I wouldn't recommend trying it 8-)

The first three para's do work for me, and it's the only way the wife would pass the finances (lol)

Regards Terry

Guest JudgeMental
I would always spec a new van with 2 batteries. Try this first and see how you get on....if still struggling add a solar panel or alternative power source.

Reducing the electrical load is a better starting point.

On a new MH have all LED lights which consume only one fifth of the power.

(Autotrail today and Swift group in 2009)

Do not have a diesel heater. If you have enough space then a Truma convector with optional air circulating fan is best for electrical economy.

Electric step, hob ignition and loo flush are all short time only so don't seriously come into the equasion.

If you have a microwave then only use it when on hookup. Use gas for cooking.

Flat screen LCD TV if you must.

An 80 watt panel will maintain all this during the summer.

C.

In spain at the moment and have 2 batteries total 140 amp/hour plus 80w solar panel. This gives me all of the 12volt supply that I need. Previous van had the mains/12v charger unit pack up and without solar panel I would have to run the engine every day.

Cost for solar panel fitted by Marquis around £600, expensive I know but the peace of mind is IMO well worth it. I also had a " Battery Master unit fitted to keep the vehicle battery charged with the surplus power from the leisure batteries.

So in summary get a panel fitted and as already mentioned by experts on the forum.

Mike

A lot depends on usage - not just of 12v kit, but of the van itself! If you're travelling most days there's plenty of umph in the engine to make sure batteries are fully charged for the night./

Having said that, in August we stayed on a school field in Warwick for a week without taking the van off site, as the ground was too soft for non-essential vehicle movements. No hook-up, only one leisure battery, but no problems at all. We have a 3-way fridge though - much prefer them to compressors.

ron. - 2008-10-07 4:13 PM

I think the main thing to remember, as already mentioned, is that solar panels are OK in the summer but not up to much in the winter, even in southern europe.

Solar panels are very useful in winter, as quoted in post above yours, fit a battery master and the vehicle battery is kept charged, a major plus with newer vans in particlier which appear to only last two weeks without use.

Archived