Overnighting at Calais - Aire or car park?

snobbyafghan

I see that the aire at Calais is on the other side of town from the ferry port and costs €7. I just want to rest up for 4 or 5 hours after driving from the south and before getting the ferry. What is the attitude to parking up in the ferry port car park - anyone know?

Doug

This crops up on a regular basis Doug and a 'search' will reveal various people's opinions.  The direct answer is that it's not a problem at all to park on the dockside.

Some people like to move on to a site, some like to have a cuppa and crash out as soon as they hit French soil.

There have been reports about the noise level at the dockside with vehicles loading and unloading but we've stayed there a few times and never had a problem.

W2G

We have used both and prefer the docks. Have had more noise on the aire at the other side of the docks. You will find a huge car park at the entrance to the check in area and it is free. I think it is at the roundabout and the exit before the port entrance. When we have been there were loads of motorhomes and caravans.

Have fun and a good journey back.

Sooty

snobbyafghan - 2008-10-07 8:26 AM Thanks W2G - When you say "at the dockside" do you mean in the car park? Doug

Yes, as Sooty says it in the car park by the Booking Office.  Vast car park and usually has a fair number of motorhomes an caravans to keep you company.

1222018365_CalaisOvernightParking.jpg.5cab936749cde9f9cbe1ae8c92ec3594.jpg

We have used the car park at the ferry terminal many times and found it quieter if you can park in the middle there is also a motorhome parking area at the City Europe which a lot of us use no facilities but safe and quiet and handy for some cheap wine from Carrefour and last fill of diesel at the 24/7 Carrefour under the car park

kelly58 - 2008-10-07 1:44 PM

We have used the car park at the ferry terminal many times and found it quieter if you can park in the middle there is also a motorhome parking area at the City Europe which a lot of us use no facilities but safe and quiet and handy for some cheap wine from Carrefour and last fill of diesel at the 24/7 Carrefour under the car park

We have never been able to enter the Fuel station at Cite Europe with our motorhome because of the height barriers but always park up for the night near the Gendarmerie.

Way2Go - 2008-10-07 12:23 PM

Yes, as Sooty says it in the car park by the Booking Office.  Vast car park and usually has a fair number of motorhomes an caravans to keep you company.

Furthermore, as another thread indicated a while ago, you'll find a MUCH shorter queue for the UK Immigration booths than if you come straight in from the motorway - but that also applies of you come in from the "town" side too.

Thanks everyone. We are staying at a great Aire tonight near Vierzon (3 € including hook-up and separate bays) but are thinking of going to Calias tomorrow via Versailles. I'll try the the car-park at the port I think.

One more question. Is it easy to find the "fags n booze" stores at Calais?

Doug

We've just returned from Calais and spent the last night on the Aire. We#re now experts in the whereabouts of Seafrance and P&O ferries!!!! An interesting place, and though we had expected it to be noisy,once we got to sleep, not a problem.

Aire was good, easy walk into town, and enough facilities locally if required. We also noticed a number of vans parking on a car park on the way from the Aire back into town, but that appeared to be more noisy, as it would have had traffic probably on all four sides. A goodplace to explore Calais,although I have to say we weren't particularly impressed by what we saw.

Incidentally the payemnt for the Aire was interesting. We went to the Camp Municipal instructed, only to find it closed (Sunday) until 3.pm. When we went back at almost 3.30 it was still closed, so we rattled the door,and Monsieur le Warden came out half dressed and munching his sandwich......we paid our dues,then stuck the ticket on the rear window of the motorhome as we parked cab inwards, so the rear window was the 'front' for visual purposes, and next monring just as we were about to depart, we noticed a ticket stuck under the wipers.....we simply took both tickets in to the reception on the way back to the ferry, but wonder what would have happened if the office had been closed then...would they have facilicites to find us once back in Uk and claim non payment?.

We also found an amazing difference in Ferry prices - we had only booked a single on the outbound trip, and that was via the caravan CLub. When we came to return, as we didn't have access to the internet, and the CC office was closed being Sunday, we thought we'de go round to the Seafrance & P&O Offices, to see what last minute deal we could get.Bearing in mind we expected to pay around £40/50 for a single, we were astounded to be told 'no deals', only standard fare 150 Euros. Rather than fill the ferries, they obviously prefer to leave you to go the next day, when via the CC we got a £50 single ticket. Bad Finaical management I would have thought - surely better to get money direct than have an empty boat, and have to accept a 'third party' fare the next day!

Back in the USSR now, folks ( sorry, mean UK, obviously). The car park at the ferry terminal last night was fine as W2G will confirm (he was with us, wasn't he?) apart frpm a 15 minute interlude when 3 car loads of British youth arrived together and did their inimitable thing but they didn't stay. We also visited Cite of Europe shopping thingy first.....Gawd awful so far as I'm concerned but if you like shopping presumably great...!

Thanks for all the input.

Doug

Archived