Palace of Versailles - MH parking?

snobbyafghan

When we went back in 2005(!) we managed to park on one of the roads nearby but I seem to recall it was a bit pricey. As for the Palace, yes you have to pay to go in and, although you can get into the grounds and the parade ground (I think that's what it is!) at the front, to get into the formal gardens you have to pay.

Don't know about parking, but we visited several years ago, arriving about noon. We paid to visit the palace and found it beautiful and because all the rest of the world was having lunch the four of us had the hall of morrors to ourselves for a while - until the Japanese tourists streamed through. I swear they only stopped for a moment to take a photo and they were gone. I suppose if you more that quickly you can do Europe in two weeks!

You might find this website useful:http://www.chateauversailles.fr/en/. There is an email address to contact them. Entrance prices are given and vary according to which areas you want to visit but seem to be about 16€. There is one day a year when all French museums are free but it would probably over-flowing then. The information is quite detailed (i.e. some paying toilets are free if you are under 12!) and days when closed (i.e. Mondays and differing periods for renovations etc.) but not a lot of information about parking. Lost out way once and found driving around Versailles a bit of a nightmare in a large m/home.

snobbyafghan - 2008-10-09 8:01 PM

Anyone know what are the parking facilities like at/near Versailles? I'm just talking about parking for a visit - not overnight. Also, do you have to pay to get in the Palace?

Doug

I know slightly of track here but a excellent site withing walking or cycling distance is Hutopia, from there you can also get a cheap train ride right into Paris. One thing found when staying there they were amongst the most friendly and helpful people we came across, also have a wonderful market. Oh and yes there is a large car park right outside the palace. Sorry to deviate. If of any interest have a lot more details I can look up in my diary. Carol.

Archived