Manual v Auto

libby

This may be a good time to convince the 'gear stick' fanatics that auto boxes don't have all these recent problems.

As I said many months ago who in their right mind wants to waggle a stick about when its gear changing time? I've got better things to do when I drive thankyou.

Gone are the days when as children we played at driving cars in the street, making those progressive raised pitch sounds as we moved up & down through the gears. Things have changed like fly by wire aircraft journeys. Simplicity is the key to life.

Autos are easier on the mind, the elbow and knee joints and make for much safer driving. One of the things the yanks are good at, they got it right years ago when they decided to make most things auto.

And don't say its cheaper to be manual either, speed adjustment and how you drive is the way to an economic journey.

More costly to repair some might say. Did I hear FIAT mentioned?

Hope you liked that?

libby - 2008-10-10 12:18 AM

This may be a good time to convince the 'gear stick' fanatics that auto boxes don't have all these recent problems.

As I said many months ago who in their right mind wants to waggle a stick about when its gear changing time? I've got better things to do when I drive thankyou.

Gone are the days when as children we played at driving cars in the street, making those progressive raised pitch sounds as we moved up & down through the gears. Things have changed like fly by wire aircraft journeys. Simplicity is the key to life.

Autos are easier on the mind, the elbow and knee joints and make for much safer driving. One of the things the yanks are good at, they got it right years ago when they decided to make most things auto.

And don't say its cheaper to be manual either, speed adjustment and how you drive is the way to an economic journey.

Hope you liked that?

Totally agree with this auto much better for everyday driving. I do not have one on van because not made in auto when I purchased early this year.

If you are on a site that is muddy a rear wheel drive torque converter automatic will take off so smoothly it will maintain traction much better than a manual. And on the road why have a stiring stick in the gear box? just sit back and let her roll smoothly along. If you need a hasty overtake just kick the "go" pedal to the floor and away she zooms. If you have to stop facing up hill gentle pressure on the "go" pedal holds her in place, with no hanging on to the hand brake, and having to release it at the right time as you let the clutch plates in, and she will not stall on you. Two pedals, one for "go", one for "stop" can't go wrong really. All nice and easy. Have not had a manual for years, if you go to Australia or USA they only have automatics.

The modern automated manul box is a brilliant bit of engineering and every bit as efficient as a stick shift. So now its just down to personal choice. Some of us prefer to be more in control and have something to use our left foot for. It depends if you enjoy driving or just want a conveyance.

C.

libby - 2008-10-10 12:18 AM

Hope you liked that?

As one of those apparently considered by Libby ( and others) not to be in my " right mind" I am quite happy with a manual gearbox, and find it "easy on the mind".

Mind you, I don't "waggle the stick around" I just put it directly into gear

( maybe that's where others went wrong ?).

I agree with Clive that it's just a matter of choice and I certainly wouldn't insult people for choosing an automatic transmission.

In fact, if and when I reach the stage where I find it challenging to change gear and steer at the same time, I may well go for an auto myself.

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Got auto on the car, and have to agree, driving is so much more relaxed, couldn't get in on the van at the time though, but did have auto clutch fitted, as i have a problem with my left leg, still have to waggle the stick, even so, an improvement for me at least, can't wait to get a fully automatic van though

Pete ;-)

Trouble is cost of gym membership to replace all that execise has to be taken into acount :D

But seriously, I have driven the Ford and Renault auto's for limited times and found them good, but I have seen a post of problems getting onto leveling blocks with automated manual, any experiences?

Renault claim the Quickshift6 autobox on my van is 8% more fuel efficient than the equivalent manual because the robotised box is better at optimising gears than a human driver. I certainly can't complain at 29.3 mpg from a 7 metre-long van that runs close to 3.5 tonnes all the time. It's also very relaxing to drive and adequately quick for my purposes. Disability means I have to have an auto, but even if I had the choice, I would not go back to a manual.

The Renault is switchable to "manual mode" for use as a sequential shift but I have never bothered as the auto is just too easy.

Bob

Colin,

Just seen your post. Yes, I find a different technique is needed as the clutch cannot be slipped and if I try to creep onto the ramps then lots of unpleasant burning smells tell me it's a bad idea. Given enough such abuse the gearbox will set off a warning bleep and if necessary, the robotics will stop playing and shut the sytem down.

My new technique is "rev it and go" which is exciting and with practice, produces a satisfactory outcome. I have only once gone right off the end of the ramp.......

The gearbox system has a special button which is "mud/snow mode". This is relatively big and sits in the middle of the dash, reminiscently reassuring in the style of "Don't Panic" a la "Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy". However, it is a fig leaf, 'cos it does not help at all in mud. In my experience it just encourages people to dig deeper into the brown stuff while waiting for a farmer's tractor. It does seem to help on wet grass though.

Bob

Struggling a bit here chaps. What is an Automated Manual box and a Sequential box, are they the same? Are they both like the alternative change system on my BMW whereby you just push/pull the gearstick forward and back to select the gear you want?

Is the gearchange itself immediate or a slouch? Merc or Fiat?

I might learn something here!

ron. - 2008-10-11 1:12 PM

Struggling a bit here chaps. What is an Automated Manual box and a Sequential box, are they the same? Are they both like the alternative change system on my BMW whereby you just push/pull the gearstick forward and back to select the gear you want?

Is the gearchange itself immediate or a slouch? Merc or Fiat?

I might learn something here!

Yes, no, maybe :-S , don't know what your BMW has, the 'new' system is to have a manual gearbox and clutch and attach a load of 'gubbings' that do all the clutch and gear changes. If we take the Ford system(on last model tranny), there is a set of buttons on dash and couple on wheel. To drive off you press the 'forward' button (or double press the reverse) you are now in 'auto', if you want to change gear you press up or down button once to 'wake it up' then you push up or down buttons to change gear as you wish, the changes seem pretty seamless and quick. You also have a 'heavy' button and 'snow' button these should optimise clutch and gear changes to suit. The renault is controlled by a gear lever, push left to swap auto/manual, push forward/back to change gear, pull right for nutral, right and back for reverse, they are in effect sequential as you have to go up and down throu the gears, I haven't tried multi changing to jump a gear.

In simple terms a traditional automatic gearbox has about 3 or 4 automatically selected gears and a hydraulic torque converter. The torque converter provides an infinetly variable range of ratio,s and speeds and is what gives the older "Automatics" that smooth take up and smooth gear changing. The down side of the traditional automatic is that it has more losses so does not achieve as many miles per gallon/litre and a manual box.

Modern automated manual gearboxes have lots of gears 5 or 6 typically, and a clutch but the whole lot can be operated via a computer controlled set of hydraulics / phneumatics / solenoids so that driver only has two pedals, STOP and GO. The advantage is that the "brain" ensures that you are always in the correct gear for every occasion. Initial starting take up however is frequently not as smooth as the older traditional automatic box with a torque converter. Most if not all of these systems allow the driver to select a nearly manual mode where some button or perhaps a paddle on the steering wheel can be used to change gear. No clutch pedal though.

Take away all these brains + solenoids & hydraulics etc and fit a pedal to the clutch and you have a normal manual box. So they are equally efficient.

The biggest difference to me is that the connection between the driver and the road always feels that more remote. I like to know that once I have selected a gear and released the clutch that it wont change or disconnect the engine from the road until I ask it to.

Our next MH will have a stick shift by choice. I test drive the automated version first.

C.

Having driven traditional autos (commonly referred to as a slush box in USA) and the modern automated manual boxes I'd go for the latter every time. Trouble is I can't afford a new enough van to get an automated manual box :-( :-( . The Sprintshift was one of (if not ) the first and was not brilliant IMHO with a jerky shift, especially at low speeds. The Durashift from Ford (now discontinued sadly) was excellent as is the quickshift from Renault. I'm looking forward to trying the new Fiat Comfortmatic.

D.

Guest Tracker

As with most things there is no right or wrong - just different - but it was a worthy try at a wind up Libby as it did get a few going!

Well done gal!

Tracker,

Sorry to dissapoint you but your Gal 'Libby' is a variation of Billy !!!

A name I grew to dislike at the age of 5 when my first teacher saw fit to ask me to stand up and sing in front of the class, in answer to the song "Where have you been all the day Billy Boy etc .................. Oh how I hated girls !!!

Libby (Billy)

Guest Tracker
libby - 2008-10-11 9:38 PM

Tracker,

Sorry to dissapoint you but your Gal 'Libby' is a variation of Billy !!!

A name I grew to dislike at the age of 5 when my first teacher saw fit to ask me to stand up and sing in front of the class, in answer to the song "Where have you been all the day Billy Boy etc .................. Oh how I hated girls !!!

Libby (Billy)

Apologies Bill!

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2008-10-11 10:19 PM

Funny how some people have this weird idea that you are more in control with a manual box. As grand prix cars now have a selectable auto box this seems a somewhat outdated notion now.

Probably correct....but I prefer a manual as long as I have cruise control as well.

Archived