Knaus gone bust....

Guest JudgeMental

Hi Peter -

It is my hope, perhaps rather than my expectation, that the "downtown" won't affect you.

So long as you have no savings and no investments whatsoever; no Uk or Western economy bank accounts; no property ownership in the UK; no State pension in the UK; and spend nothing at all in the UK or any other Western economy; and rely on no public sector services at all, now or in the next decade or so, then you may be immune to the impact of this biggest ever global recession.

A uniquely fortunate, if amazingly unusual, position indeed.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quite correct BGD. I am in fact a tramp with no worldly possesions except what I can steal from the better off, and there will always be plenty of them whatever happens to the economy. Not so many maybe, so I will have to work a little harder. Might even make my way over to your neck of the woods to see if you've anything worth nicking. So keep your eyes peeled for a tatty old Rapido 710 with a trailer of scrap bringing up the rear.

• 3 weeks later...
webbocj - 2008-10-29 2:12 PM

I doubt if any of you own a KNAUS

As I stated up thread, I own a Weinsberg 670MQ which came off the same production line as the Knaus Sun TI (badge engineering).

. . . the dealer will not be able to replace parts (plastic mouldings etc.) will they bolt on a piece of a SWIFT or do I run around with no skirt on one side.

It's unlikely that any 'trim' parts from another manufacturer will fit.

But what if it's not just 'cosmetic' ?

What if it's a part such as a habitation door lock ?

It took six months for a major UK dealer chain to get the correct barrel from Germany when they damaged the original whilst replacing the door handle under warranty.

Fortunately, I could secure the vehicle during that time !

Or something such as a window or piece of interior trim ?

My pal has a Knaus caravan which was vandalised. A brick was thrown through a window and damaged interior panels. Fortunately the dealer had already sourced the windows but has advised him that there is little chance of any interior parts (which were on order) arriving.

The point of the thread was to let other KNAUS owners that there could be light at the end of the tunnel.

Sorry, but (IMHO) it's more likely to be a train.

. . . how many of you have the the FIAT Ducato base

I can take a little consolation in the fact that I don't have that particular problem to worry about. Mine's built on a Renault DC120 Master.

• 3 months later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned on this forum before, but I note from an article in the March 2009 issue of "Motorhome Monthly" magazine that the Knaus Tabbert Group that filed for bankruptcy last year was acquired in January 2009 by the Netherlands-based companu HTP Investments BV. For more details see:

http://www.noerr.com/en/DesktopDefault.aspx/tabid-55/140_read-1842/

Good spot Derek, thanks for that. I take encouragement from the article but accept time will tell if parts supply becomes routine. (Lowdhams tell me that parts had already started to come through from the administrators in return for payment in advance.)

No van is perfect but I am delighted with my Knaus, and to date, the only Knaus-fitted equipment niggles to occur - a broken TV catch, blocked LPG regulator and a roof vent seal have been promptly and courteously fixed by the dealer.

Perhaps the greatest benefit for Knaus owners will be removing a potentially negative factor in the re-sale market if the manufacturer had not been saved from administration.

Bob

• 1 month later...
Usinmyknaus - 2009-03-02 11:47 AM

Good spot Derek, thanks for that. I take encouragement from the article but accept time will tell if parts supply becomes routine. (Lowdhams tell me that parts had already started to come through from the administrators in return for payment in advance.)

My thanks also to Derek for the link (I'm playing catch-up here).

Must have a look into a couple of the dealers when in Germany this year. Should then get a clearer idea of what future parts supply is likely to be once things settle down.

No van is perfect but I am delighted with my Knaus

As am I with my Weinsberg. Glad to see things may be getting back to normal (whatever that is !)

Archived