Internal cab screens - advice?

Tony Jones

We're looking at internal "silver screens" (small letters - see "hoover" and "biro") for Roxie, and found these two online:

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/insulation_int_ext.htm

http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/InnerScreenListing2007WebPageFormat.htm

Has anyone used either of them? Do they do the job (ie keep cab cool in summer aqnd warm in winter)?

We had exterior ones for Hannibal, but don't really want to take up the space they'd need, or have to go outside to put them up (let alone pack them away wet!)

Thanks!

Tony

Tony:

On my Transit Mk 6-based Hobby I've got cab-glass interior screens from Van Comfort.

I don't use the screens during the day in summer as the Hobby also has Remis concertina cab-blinds and these reflect sunlight adequately. There's no reason, though, why the screens shouldn't do just as well.

At night - whatever the season - I use the interior screens AND the Remis blinds AND hang a thick curtain behind both - but (unless the weather is hot and dry) a good deal of condensation still forms.

Each original side-screen needed to be cut into two sections to allow fitment behind the Remis blinds' mounting-frames, but I had anticipated having to do this. The screen for the windscreen came lacking a cut-out for the rear-view mirror, which I was assured by Van Comfort was a one-off error. As we were remodelling the side-window screens, having to alter the windscreen one too was a nuisance, but not disastrous. (Van Comfort sent me several metres of edging-tape free of charge.) It's worth saying that the material used for these insulated screens makes alterations tricky and I wouldn't like to attempt a DIY windscreen 'screen' because of its sheer unwieldiness. The Van Comfort screens came in a single draw-string storage bag that, for greater convenience, I now use just for the windscreen screen, with a 2nd DIY-made bag storing the (in my case) four side-window screens.

Received wisdom is that, if you wish to minimise heat loss through the cab-glass and minimise the chance of condensation forming, then an exterior screen of the type you've used in the past is the better bet, as interior screens, by their very nature, cannot be as efficient. The advantages of the latter type are, as you rightly say, that they are normally less bulky and easier to fit, and (the most important thing for me) that they can be put up and taken down without going outside the motorhome.

Hi Tony,

After researching on here and elsewhere we decided on Van Comfort Isomatten screens and they have been very good to use and excellent value for money. Delivery was spot-on too. They are a very accurate fit for all three sides of the cab. We use them in conjunction with our Remis blinds and they make a huge difference during the day in keeping the van cool (if we ever see any sun). At night they also help a lot with keeping in the heat but they do not fully eliminate condensation. In practice we leave them in place once on site and on the day of departure just drape them over the bed to dry off and accept that with internal screens we have to wipe any residual condensation off the windows before driving.

We opted for internal screens over external for security reasons as we use Aires. We wanted the option of being able to pull the blinds off and drive away without going outside.

They roll up tightly and live in a supplied tubular, string pull bag. Suggest you ask them to measure the pack-away size of the kit for your cab style - they were very helpful to me before I ordered mine so I was confident I could easily stow the mats for travel.

Bob

Thanks everyone.

I phoned the VanComfort people on Friday, about 4.45, and placed the order, which the nice man said would be despatched Monday and should arrive by Weds.

In fact they arrived Saturday morning - how's that for service? - and are just what we need.

Thicker than just a sunshade, but lighter and less bulky than external screens, and as far as I can see very well made. Roll up tight into a canvas bag.

Still need to find somewhere to stow them, but for now they're in the bathroom!

Thanks again,

Tony

Internal reflective screening works fairly well but if I remember correctly the frequency changes once the sun's radiation travels through the glass to the interior, therefore all heat is not reflected.

They do certainly prevent hard surfaces heating up that are in direct contact from the sun's direct rays.

Archived