Opinions about Discover (Barrons as was),York please

AdriaWin

The Discover Group share value was taking a battering while we were at Pickering. Can you check that your van is actually ordered on the manufacturer?. Ask your supplier for its build number then check with the manufacturer yourself.

You did pay your deposit by credit card didn't you?.

C.

Had two 'vans from Barrons at Burtree near Darlington; a second-hand AT Tracker in 2003 and a new AT Cheyenne this year. Had to wait for the Cheyenne but that was advised when I ordered. Had excellent service and attention (and a VERY good deal). Would certainly go back to them again if ever I can afford or want to change the 'van again.

Mike P

AdriaWin - 2008-10-11 2:23 PM

Nexxo - why - could you elaborate ?

Details too long winded for this medium but to summarise..

I was very disappointed with lack of customer appreciation. I had no complaints about the deal I agreed and got. However when all was eventually confirmed their attitude cooled and I felt that their ethics and professionalism did not match mine.

I must say the van is first class. A few niggardly points but probably will try to have these rectified these elsewhere, but if needs must........

geoff - 2008-10-14 1:10 AM

Can't fault them. I bought my s/h van there , got a good deal and they attended to a few minor problems promptly, perhaps your problems could be attributed to a staff member rather than the firm as a whole ?

Undoubtedly Geoff.

However that person, or persons, represented the company to me. I have no doubt that many people will swear by them. I was merely answering the initial question as to any experience of them in the last six months. Had the qestion been about the van then the answer would have been somewhat different.

• 2 weeks later...
discover chorley ,,,i bought a new burstner argos 747 ,door broke july 08 --oct 08 still waiting for parts from them ,,,been fobbed off by them and the service manager keeps making excuses ,,,ill certainly never buy from them again ,never lies lies lies ,,no wonder there shares have fallen ,dont take care of your custumers what do they expect

Adriawin:

I strongly advise you to follow Clive's and Mike-202's advice to be pro-active over this. I'm sure that you don't need to be reminded of the Brownhills episode earlier this year that impacted unfortunately on some people whose new motorhomes had been ordered but not yet delivered when Brownhills changed hands.

My (admittedly limited) experience of new motorhome purchase-contract wording is that, once the contract is signed, the vendor is very much in the driving-seat. Unless the buyer deliberately specifies a firm delivery date initially, the vendor appears to be in a position to drag out the process pretty much indefinitely. On the face of it, a 7 months wait seems unforgivable and I believe you should now insist that Discover Leisure provide you immediately with full written details of what's going on. If a satisfactory answer is not rapidly forthcoming and/or a firm delivery date in the very near future cannot be agreed, you really must consider cancelling your order, demanding back any deposit you've paid. Hopefully it won't come to that, but, if you do need inexpensive expert legal advice on such consumer-related matters, then you might consider joining the Which? Legal Service. See:

http://www.whichlegalservice.co.uk/

Discovery Leisure's regular advert failed to appear in the October and November issues of MMM magazine. There may be a perfectly innocent explanation for this, but it does look worrying.

Archived