Spain - speed limits

Keith T

An article in the recent Burstner Owners Club mag states that there are new speed limits in effect from 28th Jan 2008 for camper-vans up to 3.5t .These are stated as Autoroutes 100 kph, dual carriageways 90kph, and other roads 80kph.

It states this information came from a French motorhome mag......

Anyone know if the is/was correct,and if so, is it likely to spread arcoss other European countries.

UK changed ours a couple of years ago, so it will stay the same! Only exceptions are car derived vans, but there a few of them around! So if you have a little berlingo two berth, you are on normal car speeds in the uk.

Up to 3.5t you are 70mph on motorway, 60 on dual carriageway, 50 on single carriageway, 40 in a 50, 30 in a 40 and so on. 30 zones remain 30.

This drops again once you go over 3.5t, to lorry speeds. ie 60 on a motorway etc.

(just had to edit my fat finger mistakes!lol!)

Rainbow-Chasers' - 2008-10-12 8:07 PM

Up to 3.5t you are 70mph on motorway, 60 on dual carriageway, 50 on single carriageway, 40 in a 50, 30 in a 40 and so on. 30 zones remain 30.]

.......Thats not how I read it, I'm afraid, nor do MMM ( see page 247 October issue) which states up to 3050kg ULW (which will cover most of the 'up to3.5t' m/h I guess), it's still 70 on motorways and dial carriageway, 60 on other roads [both where not subject to lower restrictionsof course],ie same as cars......

I'm afraid Rainbow Chasers has got hold of totally incorrect information. There has been no change in the maximum allowed speeds of motorhomes up to 3.5 tonnes MAM/GVW/MPTLM and none is currently planned. The allowed maxima are the same as for cars.

For motorhomes over 3050 Kgs (3 Imperial tons - which tells you how old these rules are) unladen weight (the weight without any load, drivers, removable tools or fluids (except engine oil and coolant)) the maximum speeds are reduced by 10 mph on motorways and dual carriageways. There has been no change in this for donkey's years and none is planned.

For vehicles towing any sort of trailer, the limits up to 3.5 tonnes MAM are the same as for cars (60 on M'ways, 50 on dual and single Carriageways), including the ban on the use of the outside lane of 3 or more lane motorways.

Hope that makes it clear!

Mel E

====

Mel E - 2008-10-12 11:33 PM

For vehicles towing any sort of trailer, the limits up to 3.5 tonnes MAM are the same as for cars (60 on M'ways, 50 on dual and single Carriageways), including the ban on the use of the outside lane of 3 or more lane motorways.

Hope that makes it clear!

Mel E

====

Maybe these speed limits when towing should be emphasised to caravan drivers. I never cease to be amazed at the speeds at which many units overtake me on motorways. I usually drive aroung the 60-65 mark and many caravans whizz past, some probably even breaking the 70 law, even in quite high winds. Admittedly modern stabilisers seem to be very efficient, but having 'lost' a caravan on a motorway many years ago - through no fault of my own - I still find it quite unnerving.

For motorhomes over 3050 Kgs (3 Imperial tons - which tells you how old these rules are) unladen weight (the weight without any load, drivers, removable tools or fluids (except engine oil and coolant)) the maximum speeds are reduced by 10 mph on motorways and dual carriageways.

Not quite right - for motor caravans over 3050kg unladen weight, without a trailer, and not exceeding 12m in length, the motorway speed limit is the same as for cars, 70mph.

There is a useful table on the Devon and Cornwall Police website

Andy_C

Andy_C - 2008-10-13 10:54 AM

For motorhomes over 3050 Kgs (3 Imperial tons - which tells you how old these rules are) unladen weight (the weight without any load, drivers, removable tools or fluids (except engine oil and coolant)) the maximum speeds are reduced by 10 mph on motorways and dual carriageways.

Not quite right - for motor caravans over 3050kg unladen weight, without a trailer, and not exceeding 12m in length, the motorway speed limit is the same as for cars, 70mph.

There is a useful table on the Devon and Cornwall Police website

Andy_C

You are quite correct, Andy. What I actually meant to write was that on single and dual carriageways the maximum speed is reduced by 10 mph, i.e., to 60mph (DC) and 50 mph (SC). The limit on motorways is, of course, still 70 mph.

As t'was I who persuaded Devon & Somerset Police to correct their web site some 3 or 4 years' ago (it gave incorrect speeds for motorhomes up to 3050 Kgs unladen weight), I really shouldn't make such an error, should I?

Mel E

====

Archived