Look out there's a hrey about

Guest Mike C

The internet service provider TISCALI will not allow anyone with the name Humphrey to register with them ...because Hump has a sexual connotation. Joke? no. This is a true story contained in the latest issue of Which. They are going to have some problems with Arsen Wenger the Arsenal FC manager and this could also explain why my old school mate Richard Cockburn is not on Friends Re-united. Have the Thought Police finally taken over the Asylum. Regards, Mike C.

Ah, those were the days - when gay meant happy. But thank heavens we live in a time of continuing progress when we're at least trying to reach out to different people rather than automatically declaring war on them. But, come to think of it, we seem to do that still too . . .

I cant write my address as being from CUMBRIA Have to write C-U-M-B-R-I-A on some web sites Christmas lights are supposed to be called "Winter Lights" to be PC Can we call them Advent Lights as thet should be removed by 6 Jan, or, "Lights to Celebrate the imminent Period of Celebration of the Birthday of our Saviour" ?

Guest Will Redfearn,Wirral Motorhome Club
"Lights to Celebrate the imminent Period of Celebration of the Birthday of our Saviour" ? Wrong!! you've allegedly just offended all non-Christans. Perhaps it should be|".............of an alleged offspring of a spiritual omnipotent being whose existance is under question" Being PC is hard work!!!

Guest Derek Uzzell
If you look at terms of insult that were in common parlance during Elizabeth I's reign and what's available now, it makes you realise how limited and sterile English popular vocabulary has become in this respect. I don't think this trend is universal though as I once saw a vast dictionary of current Russian slang that made my eyes pop from the sheer perversity and complexity of some of the terms employed.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Come now, you should be able to work that out. As this oddly-spelled word seems to have originated in the USA, it makes me wonder how their college students will be able, in future, to graduate 'magna cum laude'.

Archived