Alko and Waxoyl

enodreven

Hi,

I have been looking at having the chassis steam cleaned and treated with Waxoyl, do any of you know if doing this would damage the Alko chassis, it is out of warranty so that problem doesn't arise.

The reason I ask is that I have noticed that while the actual ALko chassis appears fine some of the parts connected or running along the galvanised section have started to show light rusting and while I suppose these could be treated separately it would be easier to spray the whole thing.

any advice would be welcome

Braunston

I would just treat the non Galvanised parts with Waxoyl and the entire engine/gearbox and engine bay plus all the suspension and wishbones, brake pipes and the disk brake dust shields.

To the question why Waxoyl galvanised parts, that's simple to answer; because the salt on the road can have a devastating effect on galvanised steel.

With the thickness of zinc used by Al-Ko pitting corrosion can very quickly take hold even on exposed surfaces. Also where components are attached that have poor corrosion resisting coatings like electro zinc, paint or no protection the local zinc present in the chassis galvanising will be quickly depleted sacrificially protecting these components.

If it was the super thick hot dip galvanising of quality marine products then maybe it's not needed but on our chassis with their coatings its a very beneficial thing to use.

Archived