Insurance

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

Sorry to ask but as the search facility does not work any more this seems the best way to find out.

Has anyone had an insurance claim in the last year or two and if so how was it handled and paid, were you happy with the outcome, would you stay with the insurer, and most important of all who are the good guys and who are the not so good guys when it comes to general service and claims.

I have had fair enough service with MCIA, now Lifesure, over the last 10 years or so but I am lucky enough never to have needed to claim - so far - and although the premiums remain competitive (£291.00 this year) now that renewal time approaches I might consider a change if a better deal beckons.

The main names in the frame seem to be, and in no particular order, Shield, MCIA/Lifesure, Caravan Guard, Comfort, Saga, Sureteam, and Safeguard.

Thanks

Hi Tracker- I have also been with MCIA/ Lifesure for many years, and found them VERY competitive and helpful. Perhaps like you I have never had to make a claim, but as a matter of policy I always get 2--3 other quotes, and realize what a fair deal I am getting. Thier annual medcal/travel insurance takes some beating also. The UK / continental breakdown cover they offer via Europe Assist at £65 per annum also is very good.

I just hope things stay this way as I understand insurance next year will increase signifantly to help cover the cost of this banking crisis. chas

Guest Tracker
Thanks Chas, we too have the good value annual travel insurance and when the warranty on the van expires we will probably have their breakdown and recovery package too - unless I can get a better offer!

Tracker - 2008-10-11 2:03 PM

Sorry to ask but as the search facility does not work any more this seems the best way to find out.

Has anyone had an insurance claim in the last year or two and if so how was it handled and paid, were you happy with the outcome, would you stay with the insurer, and most important of all who are the good guys and who are the not so good guys when it comes to general service and claims.

I have had fair enough service with MCIA, now Lifesure, over the last 10 years or so but I am lucky enough never to have needed to claim - so far - and although the premiums remain competitive (£291.00 this year) now that renewal time approaches I might consider a change if a better deal beckons.

The main names in the frame seem to be, and in no particular order, Shield, MCIA/Lifesure, Caravan Guard, Comfort, Saga, Sureteam, and Safeguard.

Thanks

Hi Rich

How was the Honeymoon ?

I changed my insurance last year had been with the same firm for 15 years but when we bought the new van premium shot up, so I decide to shop around and found the best deal for me was with Caravan Guard, the only thing I did not do was ask for protected no claims something I always ask for, I had a claim of them in July last year as I lost my vehicle in the floods, It did take a month to receive the payout as they had not managed to retieve the Motorhome of the camp site, and when I asked could they not get the assesor to view it on the site I received a phone call the next day and they decided I had waited long enough and settled my claim without seeing the vehicle.

When I bought my present Motorhome I re-insured with them and was informed I could not take protected for three years, that was in October last year, I have just renewed this week but managed to get my protected no claims back, they also gave me a discount for having fitted reversing sensors, this would apply if you fit a reversing camera, and I stil have only paid £290 not at all bad in my opinion.

Terry

Guest Tracker

Hi Terry,

In the true tradition of the forum it's time to go off topic again! It was good to meet you at Pickering and I am pleased to report that the honeymoon was great thanks, with the beautiful Trossacks autumnal shades at their finest when it was not raining - which was at least two days of the ten we were away! Really missed the van as it was a bit of a drag having to go back to the same place every evening! Married life has settled down now and it is just as good as it was before the big day except that there is a bit less in the bank than there was!

Cheers

Rich & Dot

We too are with Safeguard and we have registered a claim. Safeguard do indeed include European breakdown cover as a non-deletable option. Their sister company Budget Motorhome Insurance (both are owned by Swinton) do, however, offer cover without brakdown included, though I can no longer find Budget on the Internat and suspect they may have been closed down.

Our claim? I reported an accident in which a German Carthago and I hit offside wing mirrors in Scotland as the German was certain he was going to claim and I wanted to make it clear that, in my opinion, he was to blame, though, in his view, it was all my fault. In the absence of independent witnesses and with the repair costs of wing mirrors less than the excess (let alone the enhanced premium next year) I suggested we each pay for our own repairs at which he told me he was going to the police (this after a spot of racial abuse!).

He has 6 months to claim and during this period, renewal came up, with an enhanced premium. I am assured that, if no claim is made or paid, that I shall get the extra premium back after 6 months. Safeway did not handle the claim, but their claims company (AXA, from memory). So far,so good. We shall see.

Mel E

====

Archived