Difficult decision

horse444

We have just returned from a wonderfull holiday in France & Spain (five weeks), we do this maybe twice a year, but my husband had a heart attack this year (thankfully fully recovered) and it made me slightly aphrensive about our last trip, now I am seriously thinking of selling our Daykota, as we have had it three years and only once had a full week in the UK, and of course it rained, and you might say'so it rained', my reasoning is, we live in a lovely rural position in Scotland with magnificant views, so why go and sit in M/H in rain and wind, when we can sit in the comfort of home., We have looked into leaving it on site in Spain and France long term, but it seems very complicated and not many sites willing to do it. We both love M/H but feel we dont get as much use as we would like, for the reasons stated, and its a long haul every time to dover, for a week or two. Any-one any useful suggestions, I should add am am disabled and cannt walk a great distance, so hill walking etc out of the question, we enjoy reading, swimming, fishing, and of course a nice bottle of wine. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

Find somewhere reasonable to store it in the south of England and then get cheap flights down? Probably cheaper then fuel costs *-) Then you can tour southern England and pop over to France cheaply.........You only live once!:-D

Sorry to hear about your problem, and I can understand your worries, but it would be a shame to give up something you enjoy so much.

You don't say if you drive yourself - if so why not just reduce the distance you go on the continent for good weather - just southern France and not Spain.

You may be comfortable at home but you will be stuck with the Scottish climate.

Good luck anyway -what ever you decide.

:-|

You could sell it, and then hire one when you wish to go away. That way you do not have the vehicle sat idle when not using it.

Alternatively you can hire your vehicle out when not in use, and effectively have it costing you nothing/earn a living from it. (there are horror stories, but use only a small family firm, not a large multi national as these don't appear to care as much)

Have a trawl on the internet, and find a site that does store. You may even find an ex-pat who would be happy to store it on their farm or similar.

Even sell a share of it to someone who does live abroad? A sort of timeshare? Could be a solution, if you again find someone whom cannot afford a new motorhome, but would go halves with you in return for leaving it at their place.

Just ideas! Hope it helps! :-D

There is a CASSOA Gold site 10 miles from Portsmouth in Hampshire called Lucky Lite at a Village called Catherington. It is on the internet. It is approx £600/year, but you can pay per quarter and take the Van home for part of the year (MOT Service etc) although this could be done locally in portsmouth. Access 364 days/year (not Xmas day). Is it any good, well I pay my money per year and am quite happy, I spend approx 3monthe total on the continent.

You should get some discount on your insurance for leaving your motorhome on a CASSOA Gold site.

Hope this helps you, take care and as the Judge said, you only live once

Regards Mike

If you really enjoy it and can afford it then keep it for sure.

We are all a long time ... (sorry can't say that word!) and you cannot take it with you.

Worry less, take reasonable precautions but keep on living life to the full.

P.S. The French health service is excellent, probably better than ours.

C.

If its any help to you,

I had a cople of heart attacks a few years ago, I then had to have a triple bypass, We now do more continental trips than ever and are determaned to enjoy as much as pos, at the moment I have to be checked once a year by Doc and at the moment he says I am as healthy as a 50 year old ( i'm 67), so, try to make the most of life is my way.

Cheers

Thats the trouble with getting older isnt it? have you thought of crossing from South Shields N/castle over to Holland and having a more leisurely trip sleeping on board and travelling into Germany, I know the drive down to Folkstone or Dover is bad enough for us and were just 6 hours drive away. Your older than me but younger than my O.H. I think the trick is take more time and more stops. But I dissagree with the statement about Scotish weather! yes the winter is longer but the summer can be as hot as anywhere down South we have had some lovely hoidays in bonnie Scotland and some very wet holidays South. This country is unpredictable

weather wise no matter where you are. I hope you can keep your van as it takes some beating for a relaxing holiday.

maggyd - 2008-10-12 9:43 PM

Thats the trouble with getting older isnt it? have you thought of crossing from South Shields N/castle over to Holland and having a more leisurely trip sleeping on board and travelling into Germany, I know the drive down to Folkstone or Dover is bad enough for us and were just 6 hours drive away. Your older than me but younger than my O.H. I think the trick is take more time and more stops. But I dissagree with the statement about Scotish weather! yes the winter is longer but the summer can be as hot as anywhere down South we have had some lovely hoidays in bonnie Scotland and some very wet holidays South. This country is unpredictable

weather wise no matter where you are. I hope you can keep your van as it takes some beating for a relaxing holiday.

I was comparing the Scottish climate to the south of France, not the south of England.

I too have had some lovely holidays in Scotland but I wouldn't go there for the heat. ;-) ;-)

Hi horse444, I had a heart attack when I was 57 and was promptly retired from H.M.Coastguard. My condition was stablised with medication I am now 76. Since having the heart attack, I Hired a motorhome and toured New Zealand with a stop-over in L.A. & Hawaii en-route, I still use my motorhome. Strokes is the thing to watch out for now, they sometimes follow a heart attack. So make sure he keeps taking the pills & behaves as he is told by his Doctor. I have had several strokes so I have pills to ward them off as well, but I keep on going just for spite. If you have a bad leg you nurse it along and keep going so tell him to do the same with his heart, you make sure he nurses it along and does nothing daft like lifting heavy weights, nor pushing things, nor running up steps etc. Let him do what ever he wants but do it in slow time, and avoid stress..........all the best, David............

:-D thank you all very very much for the great advice, its helped greatly, we are going to look into leaving the m/h somewhere down south or in France, my hubby is realy very good, and does everything to the letter that the doctor tells him, and although we did dicuss selling it and buying something abroad, I know he realy didnt want too, but would have for my sake, but as you all say, the freedom with m/h is great, so we will do some research, great so many nice people take the time to try and help, THANK YOU :-)

We find we can't get abroad as often (or for as long) as we would like - so, for the foreseeable future, we take off as and when we can - even if it is only fr a couple of nights and only a few miles away. There's more to a motorhome than long trips to the continent and always something new to see and do just around the corner!

David

Leaving it in Spain would be a great idear as so many Spainish homes away from the beaches, have realy big storage spaces and would be pleased to rent out a area in the hope of making a bit on the side,

But the problem would arise when the MOT was due.

I would love to leave my MH there if I knew a way around this problem

Petedaniel

I don't know about Spain and can only speak from experience about France. If you leave a vehicle in France for three months it has to have French insurance and to do that the vehicle has to be registered in France. This is not too expensive an exercise and the good news is that the MOT (Controle Technique) is only every two years once the vehicle is 4 years old, not three. This is a more relaxed affair than in the uK and my car has gone through three times now with UK headlights with just the stick on beam benders.

As far as I am aware you cannot leave a UK registered and insured vehicle in France, for instance while you come back to the UK, for more than 36 hours, even in a locked garage.

4petedaniel - 2008-10-13 10:39 AM Leaving it in Spain would be a great idea... But the problem would arise when the MOT was due. I would love to leave my MH there if I knew a way around this problem Petedaniel

I didn't keep any details but was told that you can (could??) get UK MOTs in Gibralta.

You say that one of the considerations is the long haul to the Channel port, for just a short time in France. Why do your trips have to be short? We usually go for about 3 months, twice a year. Is there a reason why you can't do this? Provided you keep it to 3 months, and don't spend more than 6 months in France in any one year, you shoudn't have a problem with the NHS or the French tax authorities.

Hi Margaret

Just to say , we keep our MH at Lucky lite farm, and can recomend it as very secure and solid ground, so no sinking in mud. There is water and electric available for tempory use. One disadvantage you may find is that you can not stay in your vehicle overnight. Ther are camp sites around though. You can also leave your car there while away, should you wish to do so.Dont give up yet, we still travel to France and Spain and we are both in our 70's

Enjoy life while you can. You don't kow whats around the corner!!

Pauiline

Patricia - 2008-10-13 10:51 AM

As far as I am aware you cannot leave a UK registered and insured vehicle in France, for instance while you come back to the UK, for more than 36 hours, even in a locked garage.

We were planning to leave our UK registered and UK insured Motorhome in the drive of our holiday home in France while we're travelling in Africa for two months.

Please please Patricia, where did you get this information from? Is it an insurance issue or a French prohibition of some sort?

I'm grateful to you for having brought this point to light. The thought never crossed my mind to inform my insurance that I will be leaving the M/home in France while I'll be away from France. We'll see what the insurance have to say tommorrow and report back.

Many thanks Patricia.

This is the UK insurers. Over the years we have used different ones - all well respected such as Comfort, Saga etc. I think the question arose when my husband suffered a stroke and I was reluctant to drive the large m/home then (never thought I would be travelling around on my own in it!) and so wondered whether to drive him home in the car and leave the m/home in France. The insurers, who I think was Comfort at that time, told me I could only leave it for 36 hrs. In the event the breakdown cover people flew my son-in-law and daughter out and he drove it home (I feel a real idiot now). Anyway since then I have checked with other insurers and they all said the same. As they are such expensive vehicles it would be sensible to check, maybe yours will be different. There is an insurer who covers vehicles for 12 months in France who might cover you. I have never used him but his name is Copeland and he has a website. Hope this is helpful and that I haven't worried you unnecessarily.

Patricia

bob b - 2008-10-14 9:54 PM

I think that in Margaret's situation, I would sell the motorhome and buy a caravan. It would be simpler to leave that in France / Spain than a motorhome.

Seems to me this is good advice. Insurance might be an issue but it is possible to find a company to do this. I have had one in France for several years and the insurance was only just over £100 per year plus the site fees of course. If you want to drive it over there though, which we didn't, technically you have to register it in France (all French trailers have to have separate number plates to the tow vehicle). This could be a complicated procedure though because of gas alterations etc. Legally now all vehicles in France for over three months, even with the owners, are supposed to be re-registered. Thought the EU was supposed to make things easier!!

Guest JudgeMental

There's not much difference driving a large car/4x4 then a motorhome. so don't see how this helps......as its still a lot of driving. Plus you loose the convenience of the mororhome

I suggested leaving the van in south of England because of the insurance issues.

Archived