Difficult decision

horse444

Patricia - 2008-10-14 10:01 PM

This is the UK insurers. Over the years we have used different ones - all well respected such as Comfort, Saga etc. I think the question arose when my husband suffered a stroke and I was reluctant to drive the large m/home then (never thought I would be travelling around on my own in it!) and so wondered whether to drive him home in the car and leave the m/home in France. The insurers, who I think was Comfort at that time, told me I could only leave it for 36 hrs. In the event the breakdown cover people flew my son-in-law and daughter out and he drove it home (I feel a real idiot now). Anyway since then I have checked with other insurers and they all said the same. As they are such expensive vehicles it would be sensible to check, maybe yours will be different. There is an insurer who covers vehicles for 12 months in France who might cover you. I have never used him but his name is Copeland and he has a website. Hope this is helpful and that I haven't worried you unnecessarily.

Patricia

I checked with my insurer which happened to be Comfort. Yes I cannot leave the M/home more than 36hours but the underwriter is willing to help by splapping £140 extra premium and an increase of excess to £1000 as well as loss of cover for personal content!

So Patricia, your little comment might have save me a lot of trouble and maybe the M/home. So you're a star in my book , thanks.

Hi

Can I add my best wishes?

I'm 70, I've had 4 heart attacks since 1992, 2 lots of angioplasty, and right now I'm absolutely fine, taking my medication and not being too naughty. I ride my pushbike, walk up mountains (if they're not too high, I've been told not to go above 2000 metres if I want to stay comfortable.), I drive everywhere, as a chauffeur I do about 1000 miles per week.

We take off in the van at every opportunity, mostly to France, but I still work 14 to 16 hours per day so we can't get away as often as we'd like to.

Be brave, take your time and do everything at your own pace, and enjoy.

My doctor has told me that I should start to think about retirement when I get to 68!

Good luck.

AGD

Archived