P&O cancelled sailings

LordThornber

Hello all, yes we are back in Blighty after a lovely stay in Etretat on the Northern Coast.

Some of the more regular users of ferries may help with this one, as we've only, (!) crossed the channel about 20 times or so in 8 years.

Both sailings, going and coming back funny enough.., were cancelled. No reason offered, no excuse nowt. We had to wait 90 mins for the next one, (of course), on each occasion. Not the end of the world stuff I know but more a pain the backside.

I have invited P&O's responses on this subject but I wondered if there were any views out there for me to munch on??

Martyn

Hi,

On BBC Radio Kent news yesterday they apparently canceled 2 ferries due to what was reported as technical difficulties, what ever that means

We had a similar situation with SeaFrance earlier in the year and what seemed funny to me was that when the next boat was ready will still didn't fill it even though we should technically of had 2 boat loads.

Which made me think it was just a cost controlling situation, why run 2 ferries when 1 will do.

LordThornber - 2008-10-13 9:42 AM

Hello all, yes we are back in Blighty after a lovely stay in Etretat on the Northern Coast.

Some of the more regular users of ferries may help with this one, as we've only, (!) crossed the channel about 20 times or so in 8 years.

Both sailings, going and coming back funny enough.., were cancelled. No reason offered, no excuse nowt. We had to wait 90 mins for the next one, (of course), on each occasion. Not the end of the world stuff I know but more a pain the backside.

I have invited P&O's responses on this subject but I wondered if there were any views out there for me to munch on??

Martyn

I think you both might just be right - I'm cynical too! However, I think I heard that the French fishermen were on strike again but I might be mistaken.

I have to say that I travel fairly often and this hasn't happened to me (probably will now!) but I do think the eastern Channel is getting very busy. This may account for empty ferries and LD Lines are going to operate yet another service from Boulogne to Folkestone soon. Still hopefully it will help to keep the ticket prices down. It used to be much more expensive than it is now.

We stopped using Sea France because almost every sailing we turned up for was delayed by an hour or more due to cancellation of that or earlier sailings. And this was before the oil price rises.

It is very rare for a technical fault to stop a ferry sailing so this is, without doubt, a cost-cutting measure and you can expect much more of it, especially through the winter.

Mel E

====

Sorry to upset your whinge but as a former Ferry Master (not P&O) Technical Problems (breakdowns) do occur, if you have a magic wand let the companies know as I am sure they will be delighted not to have to apologise to their contractual freight customers when delays occur.

mirage - 2008-10-13 9:15 PM

Sorry to upset your whinge but as a former Ferry Master (not P&O) Technical Problems (breakdowns) do occur, if you have a magic wand let the companies know as I am sure they will be delighted not to have to apologise to their contractual freight customers when delays occur.

Perhaps as a former Ferry master you could tell us why the ferries never let us know WHY we are delayed, because that is the most annoying part of it.

When I came back from Caen earlier this year loading starting on time, then suddenly stopped. No-one moved for about 40 minutes, and even the marshals didn't appear to know why.

When we eventually drove on board there was a certain amount of debris ( bits of glass etc ) lying around on the ramp so presumably there had been an accident.

For 40 minutes we had been watching a neon sign telling us about the weather, welcome to the ferry, have a good trip etc - so why couldn't they have displayed the reason for the hold up on there.

Why do transport companies, whether road, rail, sea or air, regard customers as freight ???

Sorry, but this thread has brought back bad memories and got me going ! ;-)

I came back from Dieppe just over a week ago and the weather was dreadful. I had been instructed to arrive 90 mins before sailing because of the dog (i.e. at 4am) so I parked for the night in the m/home park just along the road. I arrived on time at 4am to find the kiosk unmanned. Eventually a girl arrived at 4.30. She told me that the ferry the night before had been delayed by 3 hrs due to the storm but our sailing would not face such a long delay. In the event we sailed into the storm 90 late so this was nearing 7am. I had given my mobile number and would have appreciated them telling me so that I could have stayed in bed a bit longer - I had actually spoken to the ticket clerk the night before anyway. When I returned home in England I found a message from France on my phone telling me the ferry would be delayed by at least an hour! Don't they employ people with any sense at all!!

Here's the promised update...

A very nice e-mailed apology has arrived from P&O says that their check-in staff should have at least explained why the ships were cancelled. Very sorry and all that.

The best bit is a 50% discount offer on the same route valid for the next 12 months. So on this occasion not only was it right to complain, it was worth it. Well done P&O.

Martyn

Archived