Statallite Dish's

4petedaniel

Not wanting to spend a fortune and feed up with attempting to line up a dish In the sun /rain/ wind/using a stat finder. Can any one recommend a simple to use Statallite dish that I can install in my MH. that wont cost the earth and will still work in Europe. I am considering the crank down type Priced At £360 To £450 I would like to know if there are any one with good or bad experiance of these .

Petedaniel

In our previous van we had a Teleco Crank-up dish which was a pain in the proverbial. In this van we have a Maxview Semitronic which is much easier to use, press the button to get the elevation and twist the pole and voila you have reception.

I think the gauge fitted onto the pole of the Teleco was out by a few degrees and that was where the problem lay.

There is a website that sells the Maxview for £399 with free delivery, it is www.wizardsatellite.co.uk. This is the link:

http://wizardsatellite.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=89

Just had a maxview crank up fitted on van, only used it once and it was easy to find the satellite. Don't yet know how good it will be in Spain. The one we had on old van was a sat lite and that was good for all major prog's down to the north of Spain. No need to spend fortunes.

Hope this helps.

Have fun Sooty

Pete

I replaced my terestial through the roof aerial with one I bought from a guy in Newcastle under Lyme. The reason I went for this one was the fact that the mounting poles were the same diameter so one out one in. It was as easy as that. If you are cutting through the roof then I would say to go for the one you like the wind up system of. I have a little plastic compass on a hook beside the pole in my wardrobe. This shows me what direction I'm looking for. I also have a map of UK and north France on the inside of the door and it is marked with degrees that you set the dish to when winding it up. There is a pin that moves down a slot in the aerial pole and a scale along side it. It is then a case of rotating the pole by hand until the audible sat finder starts to whine. Fine tune then using the signal indicator on the TV. I find it so easy and it is all done inside the van. I also find a small piece of non slip shelf lining matrerial helps to grip the pole. Hope this helps. :-D

I have a road pro flat sat.it is a wind up system which is very easy to use and also easy to fit.it has been tested in europe ,you can easily watch the tv to see how your signal is while setting up and most importantly not get wet while doing so.

The Roadpro flat sat is made by Camos and is a better piece of kit than the Maxview in my opinion. As the dish is flat it is not as sensitive to wind and it has a lower profile when folded. I have one on my Highwayman and can confirm it works superbly, we were listening to BBC radio 2 at Dusseldorf show in August and had no trouble receiving all the normal UK channels (well not channel five as that's encrypted with SKY and we use a FTA box).

By the way, sorry to be picky but it is a satellite dish not statallite.

D.

Thanks for the info on Road pro Statellite I noticed that in their information they mentioned using a compass to line up the dish. from passed experiance, that It is impossible to get a correct bearing using a compass due to the amount of metal in the van, what was your experiance?

Pete

4petedaniel - 2008-10-14 9:53 AM

Thanks for the info on Road pro Statellite I noticed that in their information they mentioned using a compass to line up the dish. from passed experiance, that It is impossible to get a correct bearing using a compass due to the amount of metal in the van, what was your experiance?

Pete

We put a satellite compass on the ground away from the van, not too far away, and then line the dish up in the general direction inside the van until you get a signal and then tweak it. With the Maxview we have never had to use a satellite finder, it has been so easy to use.

This dish was on the van when we bought it and if we were going to start from scratch we were looking at the Camos or the Tracvision, but at £1500 approx it is a lot of money to spend, so we are delighted that the Maxview works so well.

I to have a Maxview crankup and it works well, however I have found it is also usefull to have a good satalite reciever. I use a Dreambox DM500+ which I bought on a recommendation. It has a built in sat. finder and comes pre-loaded with Freesat, some sky programs and it wil take my Sky card from home.

To establish the correct direction to point the dish I do a couple of things, firstly look around at other 'vans and see which way their dishes are aimed (when abroad its worth checking the number plates of the vehicles in question as Germans, French,Spanish and Italians will either be lining up to Hotbird or Astra 1, we generally want Astra 2). Either by looking at the sun's position in the sky or using a compass establish where East and South are then start off by elevating the dish (with the Camos crankup 9 to 9.5 turns is generally a good place to start). Next point the dish East and slowly turn it towards the South while monitoring wither the TV or your sat finder if you use one, There are (quite) a few satellites further East than Astra 2 but it will give the strongest signal strength if you've got the elevation somewhere near right.

D.

4petedaniel - 2008-10-13 7:04 PM

Do you know where I can get a pro flat fitted and what are the cost i have seen one with a price of £500 including installation.

Petedaniel

Your best bet for finding a supplier/installer is to visit the Roadpro website and look at their list of approved dealers/installers http://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/dealers.aspx . I'd advise you to phone around for prices though as some will charge more than others for installation.

D.

Archived