The go anywhere people

libby

Its very entertaining to read the comments from those who just seem to go anywhere and appear to find it so easy, such as the answers to visiting Venice recently.

Don Madge seems to the most travelled, he has an answer for almost anything that crops up.

Yes we are fortunate to have people like Don and others on the forum who are always willing to find time to pass on the experience of years of motorhoming, to the help of everyone. When touring Scotland last year, and the help I have already received on our proposed trip to Greece and Italy next year, is invaluable I think that this kind of help you get for whatever the question of the folk on the forum is outstanding. Carol.

libby - 2008-10-14 12:04 AM

Its very entertaining to read the comments from those who just seem to go anywhere and appear to find it so easy, such as the answers to visiting Venice recently.

Don Madge seems to the most travelled, he has an answer for almost anything that crops up.

I would say that, health permitting, it is easy to go anywhere - you only need to be able to drive. I think it's just a matter of confidence.

I know some people are reluctant to 'drive on the other side of the road' but once you've done it you wonder why you worried about it.

And these days, with supermarkets, shopping is no problem - you haven't got to ask for anything and you just look at the display on the till to see how much to pay.

I personally avoid driving into cities ( in U.K. as well ) and have found most continental roads quieter than here, especially France. ;-)

Yes, I would agree with Malc D. It is really only a matter of confidence plus good health and time. And of course money - but you certainly do not have to be wealthy!

Driving on the right is not a problem and direction signs are usually at least as good as in the UK. Shopping is easy and if you stay within the Euro Zone there is only one currency to deal with.

In our experience the are people helpful and friendly and making an effort to speak a little of the language of the country being visited pays dividends.

For our continental travels we usually just buy medical insurance, book the ferry and go! Campsites and aires (with their equivalents in other countries) are widespread and plentiful.

If you are very hesitant I would suggest a continental rally, with for exampe the C&CC, as a "toe in the water experience".

Cattwg :-D :-D

On reflection, it could be said that it is so easy now that it is much less exciting.

Many years ago, the RAC used to provide us with a sticker for the inside of the windscreen showing continental road signs which used to be different from our own.

As we also used to have to queue at borders to get into each country it seemed much more adventurous. We used to have an envelope ready at each border crossing containing the 'next' countrys' currency.

Nowadays you are not necessarily aware,(for a short distance anyway), that you have entered another country, and of course you can use the same currency almost everywhere.

It's a bit like the change in crossing the channel. On a ferry there is still a feeling of 'going abroad' whereas through the channel tunnel you just get on a train, it goes dark for 30 minutes or so, and you get off again !

;-)

Archived