dialysis

Guest Malcolm

Guest Malcolm
I have just been told that my kidneys are failing & will have to have dialysis on a machine for 8 hours a night. Has anybody had any problem doing this in a motorcaraven or does it mean that I have to stop traveling

Not the sort of news one wants. How many times a week will you have to do this? I guess this will limit your range in a motorhome. Good luck

Malcolm I don't have any knowledge on this and, of course, I offer my sympathies, but I have heard of people using dialysis machines and still enjoying motorhoming. Perhaps you will get a response from a fellow sufferer. Regards Neal

Hi Malcolm. You have my sympathy. But look on the bright side, dialysis will improve youquality of life.I am in care work and one of the people I help to look after has Systic kidney disease, he was given two years max to live, he also suffers from learning disabilities. He has been put on CAPD this means dialysis 4 times a day each session takes approx half an hour. The difference within a week was fantastic. He has been on this now for just over a year. They now give him over 12 years life expectancy. His quality of life has improved significantly. Good luck for the future. David

Guest David Powell
I thank the Lord, I don't suffer this terrible thing, but I know someone back to back in the next street who does, I have had two strokes and not allowed to drive for a while, but feel better off than you Malcolm. Ken who lives behind us books his dialysis at Hospitals well in advance when he intends travelling, so that is something to look into. Very sorry to hear of your illness Malcolm, one thing I would hate to have to suffer,I wish you all the best.

Hi Malcolm I understand your problem and sympathise One of our neighbours had a similar problem His wife had to receive dialasis on a regular basis They came to some sort of arrangement - via the doctor - with a hospital near Benidorm; to receive her dialysis there She was sent a limited amount of the required medical stuff, to take with them and had some sort of arrangement to receive further supplies over there So each year they managed 3 months in the sun Thankfully she has now had a transplant and when the recovery time has passed and hopefully she is declared fit enough to travel; they wii resume travelling

Guest Malcolm
Peterc hi thanks for your reply and caring. How did your neighbour get on for health insurance. I am also diabetic and 74 years old so I might have problems there

Guest Malcolm Moore
Hello Malcolm, Had a word with my son who's a blood dialysis engineer (now in New Zealand). He tells me that it all depends if you will be on HD or CAPD. HD involves a very expensive machine (c£20,000) and would need drains and running water etc. Not really practicable in a van (unless you have a Winnebago on a fully equipped US style pitch). However he thinks you are more likely to be on CAPD which is much easier as you will use fluids contained in bags which are pumped into your system. That will be practicable in a van although you will need to carry a lot of fluids around with you and you will also have a lot of medical wastes to dispose of. You will of course need a hook-up for the pump. Probably best to have a word with your local dialysis unit. If you would like to know more, give me a ring on 01795 473807 and I'll put you in touch with my lad. Good luck and hope all goes well.

• 11 years later...
I have been looking for a thread such as this. In the last week I have had the first consultation in preparing for dialysis and it appears that I have to make a choice sometime in the future as to which way to go so I need to be well prepared, any further advice on this subject would be welcomed

You are going to need travel insurance and one that I can recommend as taking pre-existing conditions without any loading is the NFOP. Sorry but cannot help with the practicalities of actually doing dialysis in a motorhome. Best of good fortune to you for not giving up though. https://www.nfop.org.uk/ http://www.nfoptravelinsurance.org.uk/

Hi Malcolm, first their are two types of dialysis. The most common is haemo which involves going to hospital three times a week so makes going away hard, although people do it. The second is peritonal which involves doing it at night at home. However if you can do peritonal you can spend some time doing it manually with no machine so you can go away in the van for as long as the hospital allows, probably about six weeks. It involves some organisation and a van with good payload, you have to carry a lot of liquid around.. If you want to know more pm me as I have no intention of discussing it in depth on here.

Hi Norman ("Hans".) Sorry, no first hand experience (other than, some years back, I worked with a bloke who needed regular dialysis...and he'd set up his back room to something akin to a hospital ward bay!?... 8-) ) That was quite a few years ago though ( 15-20?), and this chap in this link seems to have given things a bit of a go......? http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/News/Martin-takes-dialysis-unit-on-canoe-trip-26082011.htm So any possible driving restrictions aside (?) , if it can be done in a canoe, it can be done in a MH..? :-D Good luck.

Hi Malcolm, I'm sorry to hear of your plight, I have no experience or knowledge of kidney problems or dialysis but felt quite sad on reading your post. I think it's terrific that you've had this awful news and still thinking of continuing with the motorhome, well done you and what a positive person you must be! My wife and I wish you the very very best of luck and more power to your elbow mate.

TRy to look on the brighter side.  Ad Blue, which is used to reduce emissions, uses urea, which is the chemical waste product generated by dialysis - perhaps you'll be able to plug your dialysis drain into your engine and save the cost of buying Ad Blue!

Archived