changing money on the ferry

jondiane

Last couple of times crossing from dover to france have noticed the exchange rate is better on the boat then i got at home.is this always the case and could we exchange all are holiday money there, or do they have a limit or is there a commison to pay. (?)

Hi we have just returned from France via Newhaven Dieppe on LD line. The exchange rate from their money changing machine read 1.20 euros for a pound,I assume you would get the same rate from their bureau, also if you used sterling to buy food from their cafeteria the rate of exchange read 1.30 euros to a pound. The later seemed very good although I thought food etc to be expensive.The exchange rate for cash I thought very bad. We have been using our new Nationwide Debit card all the time away ,its proven to be the best option [ for us ] as we had NO charges added to transactions or cash withdrawls and the exchane rate

was very favourable to us each time used. Happy Campng ,Malc. PS L D.lines to Dieppe was very good,and there is a good AIRE just outside the Dieppe Ferry Terminal,visible from the deck of the Ferry, It costs 6 euros a night with all services except electric. Dieppe is a super town with a huge market on Saturdays, Fresh fish and sea food is on sale daily on the harbour every morning ,straight of the boats.

Agreed, the Newhaven-Dieppe route is good, and so are the ships.  However, every time I have tried to use it since LD took over the operation, the fares have been very high compared to Dover-calais, so do check.  Then if you don't like the price, tell them so, and the penny may eventually drop!

I agree with Brian on the price of the LD Ferry being more expensive than Dover, But, as we live in Southampton the long drag to Dover and the high cost of diesel when we left in August made it worth while going from Newhaven Some figures if any one interested. Newhaven Dieppe return was £207. Dover Calais return was £90. Distance to dover from soton 180 miles .Distance to Newhaven from southampton 80 miles. We wanted to start our tour of France in Brittany so Dieppe put us closer to our start destination. Did we save much money, I doubt it,I'm still broke but I missed the Hell of the M25 and the other motorways between Soton and Dover,and strangely enough the day we returned from Dieppe 15 th Oct. Callais was closed due to a French [ God bless em. ] strike. How lucky was that ???? (lol)

For those who regularly venture off that little island at the top left of Europe, there may well be another option to explore:

Open a current account at any (eg the one who offers you the best deal) of the euro banks, in France, Germany, Spain.

Send a decent slug of money across into it electronically, using your UK banks slowest (and thus cheapest) transfer method, at a time when the GBP/Euro rate is in your favour.

Draw cash from your Eurobank account using the supplied cashpoint or Visa debit card, anywhere in Euroland, usually (but NOT always, so check which other eurobanks have a free-cash reciprocal arrangement with your eurobank) for free.

Also this should mean that any of the petrol stations that often only have a Euroland credit card pump working late at night, can still be used by you.

AND if/when your UK bank goes bust, you've got at least some dosh in a euroland non-UK bank (which all have much better account-holder protection anyway).

Banco Santander is one option maybe well worth considering: very big, very international now, and their cautious approach to lending has kept them very healthy through this recent financial collapse.

In fact, they are now buying up so many busted UK banks, that you may well find you've now got a Santander Group account in the UK already!! :D

Just had my Nationwide credit card statement in Euro rate given 12.10.08 was 1.2772 thats close to the interbank rate at the time same would apply for ATM withdrawls in euros

Get a Nationwide credit card and flexi account and save shed loads of money just withdraw as you want it.

Colin Frier

Archived