MOROCCO NEW YEAR.

vindiboy

HI all,we are planning to go to Morocco in the new year,no firm dates yet but plan to leave england early January 09 .and a slow drive to Spain via France where we plan to dawdle [ weather permitting ] as we usually do .So I guess we will be ready to depart for Morocco beginning February 09. I wonder if any one out there has simillar plans as,as this will be our first time to Morocco it would be good to have some company initially. If interested we could plan to meet up in Spain or wherever as ,as, I said our plan is very flexible. Ive read plenty of bumphf on Morocco and spoken to lots of people who have been solo and on the face of it,it seems ok to do it. So if your plans match ours and would like company I would love to hear from you, HAPPY CAMPING ,MALC, PS we live in the slow lane.

:-D :-D

Hi we are off to Morocco in Jan/Feb. We are going to the Alps on the 19th to 26 December spending New Years eve (my birthday) in Almeria With friends who live in the area and then making our way to Gib/Morocco I would think we will cross about 2nd week in January. This will be our first trip. We may meet up with another couple we met in Portugal last year but no plans finalsed yet .

May see will contact you later by your e-mail

Regards

Paul and Ann :-D :-D

We would love to have company as well, but we are planning to be in Morocco from 1/12/2008 till 10/01/2009.

We've arranged for green card for december and we can't change dates because of other commitments.

We are off to France on Wed 22/10 hoping to reach Spain by the end of the month where we'll spend November.

So Vindiboy if you are flexible enough ( or anyone planning to spend December in Morocco ) we would love to have your company.

Have just read about the subject of taking the MH to Morocco, has made me consider going my self. We found the winter a bit cold and wet in Spain last year and we are now considering Morocco if the weather turns cold again in Spain. I would be grateful for any tips on insurance, are green cards necessary? camping sites and any relevant information. We would also be a lot happier joining up with one or perhaps more couples going there. I was in Morocco some 15 years ago and at no time did I feel secure. So would be pleased to hear from any one considering going in January. And wanting to make up a party.

Petedaniel

I should mention we would want to go in January and in to Febuary

Yes, you need a Green Card. Many insurers will not issue one for Morocco. It used to be possible to buy insurance (3rd party only) at the border but I think at the moment you can't.

You probably need to think about breakdown insurance too, if your insurer will issue a Green Card they may also provide breakdown cover, although this is often of the 'pay now - claim later' variety.

Your vehicle details are recorded on entry to Morocco and you cannot leave the country without it. Your insurance and/or breakdown cover should cover vehicle repatriation or payment of customs duty in the event that the vehicle is written off. Try International Breakdown for motorhomes up to 3.5t or ADAC for up to 7.5t

Moroccan mechanics are pretty resourceful at repairing things, although problems with a modern diesel engine might defeat all but a main agent. Last time we were there we had our air brake compressor repaired at a back street garage, Mercedes UK said it wasn't possible to repair it!

Currently the most comprehensive guide to campsites is J Gandini's Campings du Maroc available from Emile Verhoost, see here. There is a new edition just published.

Andy_C

Andy_C - 2008-10-20 7:33 PM

We are with SAGA - no problem with a fully comp Green Card, but no breakdown cover for Morocco, so we are going with ADAC as we are well over 3.5t...

Andy_C

Hello Andy,

how did you manage with ADAC. Presumably you speak German. I want to contact ADAC to arrange for membership to cover North Africa in general (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia). I dont speak German and when I tryed there web site I could'nt get pass the 1st English screen.

Abb - 2008-10-21 11:16 PM

Hello Andy,

how did you manage with ADAC. Presumably you speak German. I want to contact ADAC to arrange for membership to cover North Africa in general (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia). I dont speak German and when I tryed there web site I could'nt get pass the 1st English screen.

No, I don't speak German. I haven't arranged cover yet as we don't need it till January but I know of at least one Motorhome List member who has done it recently. I believe they paid by Visa card over the phone, there was an English speaking operator available. I have had quite a bit of email correspondence with stefanie.schleifer@adac.de who has good English and will send an application form (in English) and also pdfs, again in English, of most of the information for the breakdown cover.

BTW, you know that the Morocco/Algeria border is closed?

Andy_C

Archived