Chausson Allegro 97

lesandy247

Guest Tracker

Are you experienced vanners and familiar with the pros and cons of various layouts?

I've never had or driven one but it looks good on paper, however the 4000kg GVW might be an issue if you are close to age 70?

Are you familiar with, and can you live with, the typically continental half dinette and the limitations that this design places on comfortable lounging?

Are you familiar with the Ducato gearbox and water ingress issues?

Guest Tracker
lesandy247 - 2008-10-20 8:37 PM

Water ingress issues - are you talking about Chausson specifically?

No not Chausson or any other converter - but engine bay water ingress on the latest Fiat/Peugeot cabs.

I notice that Which Motorcaravan published a report on an Allegro 97 in the April 2008 issue, which may be worth you reading.

Assuming you are planning to buy new, then you may need to beware of quality-control issues. My own personal view of Chausson as a manufacturer is that their build-standard can be very patchy. I made this point to a Chausson dealer friend in July who then told me he had recently rejected two new vehicles - both Allegros - that had been delivered to him in a totally unacceptable condition. We were looking over one of the entry-level Ford-based Flash models at the time. This seemed to be OK (though some of the 'behind the scenes' detailing was pretty crude), but even this had arrived with the mattress for the fixed bed missing!

I considered buying a new Chausson in 2004 and soon gained the impression that the French company wasn't particularly interested in the UK market and that after-sales customer care might not be high on their priority list.

Sorry to be negative, but I wouldn't choose one.

Hi.

Just to add my experience.

I purchased a new Chausson Welcome 75 delivered in February2008.

To date 5000 miles, only problem a broken locker catch.

Previous M/H a new Laika 7R which I kept for 8 years.

Replacement cost for the similar Liaka was approx £44K

Accepting that most units (Toilet,Heating,Water,Cooking,etc) are all similar within this price range and most M/Hs are based on Fiat/Ford I have to say the supposed difference in quality was not justified in my mind.

I have a M/H with a large garage which take my 125cc scooter with comfort.

The fixed bed lowers to a accessable height when on site.

The payload is more than enough for two and the rear axle has 100kg spare when the M/H is loaded.

Air Conditioned cab and cruise control £37K.

Good local dealer.

Apart from the Fiat reversing problem I am happy with my decision.

Archived