SEAFRANCE FERRIES

veedubber

Hi

Attractive rates are currently available for return tickets for motorcaravans for travel May/June 2009. booked through the Caravan Club.

These are subject to no refunds or amendments.

Experienced ferry users have told me that they often turn up at the departure port, even many hours prior to their booked sailing time, and ask to travel on the next ferry. This request is often granted at no extra charge.

Would this type of ticket, booked now, prevent this degree of flexibility (subject to availability of space) ?

I've just booked with the CC Dover/Calais at a very good price.

In the past I always booked the first ferry in the lowest price band for that day, and as is the case often turned up early in time for the more expensive earlier crossing, and without exception space permitting both on SF & P&O was put onto the earlier ferry. I never asked to go earlier so it was the operator who changed the booking not me and I was never charged extra. There was only once when they said there would be an extra charge, so I said no thanks I'll wait for the next ferry and was put on the earlier one at no charge. They seem to not want you hanging around.

My experience is the same as Starvin Marvin. The Dover ferry companies, including Norfolk Lines, policy would appear to be "There's room on the next ferry, so why allow this chump (sorry, customer) to block up the queuing lines when he can be put on the next ferry and out of our way". May not always work, of course.

Have done this twice (got an earlier ferry) This sept turned up at Dunkirk LD Lines on sat lunch time and got next ferry, was booked on sunday morning early. L:ast year did the same thing Got a ferry a week earlier than booked to come home Due to rotten weather,! No charges either time LDLines good ferry less than two hours journey, for those of you that use Dover. Prefer to go from Portsmouth (only ten mins from house ) can be in Cherbourg in the time it takes us to get to Dover. Yes it costs more, but think fuel costs now. we worked it out that it is cheaper in the long run, as we are usually going to Brittany first stop.and a lot less hassle

Can we get LD lines to run from Portsmouth?

PJay - 2008-10-21 3:14 PM

Have done this twice (got an earlier ferry) This sept turned up at Dunkirk LD Lines on sat lunch time and got next ferry, was booked on sunday morning early. L:ast year did the same thing Got a ferry a week earlier than booked to come home Due to rotten weather,! No charges either time LDLines good ferry less than two hours journey, for those of you that use Dover. Prefer to go from Portsmouth (only ten mins from house ) can be in Cherbourg in the time it takes us to get to Dover. Yes it costs more, but think fuel costs now. we worked it out that it is cheaper in the long run, as we are usually going to Brittany first stop.and a lot less hassle

Can we get LD lines to run from Portsmouth?

LD Lines do run from Portsmouth to Le Havre (am booked with them to travel in January). I didn't know, however, that they also run from Dunqerque. I thought that route was limited to Norfolk Lines.

We have arrived at the dock (Dover & Dunkerque) early several times and been put on the next available ferry with Norfolk Lines. When arriving early at Calais on one occasion when we were traveling with Sea France we were asked for an extra £83 if we wanted to leave on the next ferry 2 hours ahead of our scheduled sailing time (the original fare was £33), we declined!

LD run from Le Havre to Portsmouth and to Newhaven. You also book through them for the Dieppe to Newhaven service run by Transmanche. Excellent ships. LD are soon starting a service from Boulgne to Dover (I think although it might be Folkestone). I have often been taken on an earlier ferry.

I have made several crossings recently, with SeaFrance and P&O, all booked directly with the ferry company.  For years we have arrived early and got on without a charge.  The rule with SeaFrance was "Up to 2 sailings early, on for free". 

That has changed with SeaFrance now.  Up to 2 sailings early, the fee is £10.  It started as 10 Euros for the return voyage, but is now £10 there too!

P&O are still free, at least they were in August.

Hi to PJay, Mr Grumpy, Patricia and Mom.

Many thanks for your advice. I am becoming somewhat wary over reports of additional charges for variations in ferry times with Seafrance.

The prospect of LD Lines starting a service from Dover/Folkstone to Boulogne is intriguing. I may just wait to find out about that before booking elsewhere.

If you travel 2 or 3 times a year then the Sea France Carnet is very good value for money as all sailings are fully amendable without charge and even if you just turn up at the port they guarantee to get you on one of the next 2 sailings.

It costs £64 return for each of 3 returns but you are allowed to transfer one of them to a friend. So you are only obliged to use 2 of them. It gets even cheaper if you want to have more sailings.

There are certain dates such as Easter, Whitsun or August Bank holiday weekends that you would have to pay a supplement, otherwise you can travel any day at any time.

Phil.

Hi Philman & paul2.

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, a carnet would not be appropriate for me as I am only free to make the one trip per year. Otherwise, the advantages are plain to see.

It seems as though last minute changes are subject to supply & demand, and I guess that if a ferry is due to sail below capacity, then by allowing a ticket holder for a later crossing to travel, the ferry company then has increased it's chance of selling the space thereby created on the later crossing.

It seems as though variations without additional cost are very much "pot luck"

Booked for SeaFrance through the C&CC direct on line earlier this month. £26.75 one way Dover to Calais on the 11.00 ferry 8/1. Via SeaFrance web site same sailing time not available because the ferry is full! It would have cost us £56.75 anyway!

We did the same last year, but in May and the price has risen by 5p, but we now have a bigger van so that's fair enough! We also got on an earlier ferry outbound for a packet of Jaffa Cakes! (we tipped the ticket man!)

Coming back in July it was £36.50, again through the C&CC, but we got "upgraded" to an earlier sailing for 10 Euros and no hassles.

Well worth booking through either club in my opinion.

Guest Tracker
Just been quoted £46 Sea France Dover calais for 6.5 mtr van return mid Jan to Mid March - choice of several days and on that basis does either club really save you money?

Hi Tracker, Ike and AdriaWin.

Many thanks for your information.

All rates described are attractive, and fairly comparable.

The Caravan Club inform me that SeaFrance tickets booked through them are amendable for a £10.00 fee. (Despite the booking web-site stating that they are not amendable). I expect that additional charges would apply if the amended sailing was priced at a higher rate than the one originally booked.

At the moment, I can book a return ticket for travel May/June 2009 for between £36.00. and £52.00. depending on the time of sailing.

Last June, I had to pay P & O £102.50 one way, for a crossing at short notice following disruption of my schedule.

"Despite the booking web-site stating that they are not amendable"

I'm always mystified by this. I nearly always book on-line and often direct with Sea France. Every time I've done so the process allows me a choice of times and a choice of fares, two of which offer amendment at a fixed low cost or nil cost. But unsurprisingly the very cheapest fare is usually non-amendable. Maybe the clubs simply don't quote that one? Or are they genuinely getting a special deal? ... That's certainly not my experience so far.

In over forty years of cross channel motorhoming with P&O we very rarely keep to the right sailing date. Most times we are weeks out let alone hours. Only once have we been charged a ten pound admin fee.

I've never understood the need for companies to levy a charge for not meeting your sailing time, apart from profiteering, as they either have room or not. If they have space you are obviously not depriving anyone of their slot, if they don't have space you just wait until they do.

The other advantage is that a no set ferry time avoids the idiot rush to Calais that you see some people involved in to 'catch the ferry'.

Archived