Auto Trail have laid off 25% of workforce

Mel B

If I want to be depressed I can find plenty of places. In my opinion the Media have caused some of this, with their daily hyping of the situation.

So in order to avoid the doom mongers on here I will avoid this forum for some time. which will no doubt please some of the more depressing members on here. It's all yours guys. get misserable together I'm off to a more positive thinking forum, :-(

LONDON (Reuters) - Blue-chip shares soared 5.3 percent by midday Wednesday as investors were buoyed on the hope that the U.S. Federal Reserve would cut interest rates to spur economic growth and quell fears of a global recession.

By 12:06 p.m. the benchmark FTSE 100 climbed 210.91 points to 4,137.29, after rising 1.9 percent Tuesday.

Come on guys, there is always a silver lining or good news to be found between the bad surely?

*-)

Of course you could take a view buying a new motorhome on a "58" plate will put you in a minority in say 3 years time when all the doom and gloom merchants have buried themselves. Dealers might be inclined to give you an exceptionally good part exchange.

peter - 2008-10-28 11:14 PM If I want to be depressed I can find plenty of places. In my opinion the Media have caused some of this, with their daily hyping of the situation. So in order to avoid the doom mongers on here I will avoid this forum for some time. which will no doubt please some of the more depressing members on here. It's all yours guys. get misserable together I'm off to a more positive thinking forum, :-(

Shame, this.  Peter is clearly worried, and we've been jangling his nerves.  The media has also been emphasising the gloom, almost to the exclusion of everything else - until the great Ross/Brand fiasco that is - so perhaps the warnings have been a bit overdone.

However, I do not believe anyone on here sets out to depress others.  Warn them, yes, but not depress.  If you're still listening, Peter, I think you've simply got the wrong end of the stick.  BGD has his political agenda, and wants a bit of fun at the present government's expense, but his underlying motivation, I'm sure, is to put folk on their guard.  In rejecting that as scaremongering you have perhaps given the impression your head is in the sand (exposing....?), and that apparent resistance has made attempts at getting the point across increasingly shrill.

The point, surely, is that when such big economic events take place, it is always the little people (i.e. the likes of us) who suffer.  Rather than depressing the reader, what I think we have all been trying to do is to alert folk to some of the less obvious dangers that lie ahead.  The politicians (even the opposition ones) won't tell how bad it really is, or is likely to get - even if they know -  because they don't want to be accused of talking us into a full blown recession.  The media, it sometimes seems to me, are trying to achieve just that, because goading the politicos is fun for them and because it promises a period of high drama reporting.  Yes, we can make things worse if we all panic and stop doing all the things we normally do.  Some, those who suffer redundancies or financial loss, will be forced to do just that, but the rest of us shouldn't suddenly cut back.  Doing that will indeed deepen the pit.  However, it serves neither us, nor anyone else, if we loose big slabs of our hard earned cash to bankrupt companies, dodgy investments, or foolish banks.

Vigilance must be the watchword.  We need to be as sure as we can be that when we spend we are spending with sound, reputable, companies and buy sound, reputable, goods.  That reduces the chances of us joining the ranks of those who loose badly, without prospect of recovery.  That is what we doomsters have been trying to get across.  What we really need, is a flight to quality.  Be careful out there!

Thanks for your heartfelt concern Brian, but appart from maybe having a bit of a job selling my house when I clear off to Austria in a couple of years, I don't give a rats a**e for the downturn. I am neither owed or owe any money to anyone for anything whatsoever and buy what I can afford to pay cash for. So you can sleep easy in the knowledge that I am neither depressed or on the verge of throwing myself out of a tower block window.

But thanks for your concern it is much appreciated. :D

peter:

Although Curry has 'hot' connotations, the correct spelling is Currie. I wasn't aware that an affair with Edwina had been an obligatory part of John Major's job description (as you seem to be suggesting), though once she had her eye on him I suspect he was a goner.

The Wikipedia entry relating to the Major/Currie affair is entertaining for those with a salacious imagination and one may wonder whether the wording is deliberate...

"The affair began when she was on the backbench, and Major was the government whip under Margaret Thatcher. After Major's rise to Chief Secretary to the Treasury, the relationship ended, but the two remained friends. Currie maintains that she ended the affair when it became dangerous and impractical, due to the presence of bodyguards who would need to be avoided."

Archived