Which road should I use

watsoa

I am travelling through France to Spain in the next week or so. Has anybody used the N121A from the the south west of France to Pamplona  - or would I be better off using the Autopista from San Sebastian.

Thanks for any advice

Regards

Alan W

Hi, I have used the 121a on two occasions once each way and have found it extremely narrow and some of the inclines are very steep. I always use the N1/A15 now and although you still vave to climb to the same level its on Dual carraigway so theres no need to crawl behind a goods vehicle.

I think that the N1/A15 route is a little further but worth the extra fuel.

Have a good trip

Colin

I travelled on the N121A back in December 07 and the first section was being improved into a much wider road with better curves. They were well on with it last year so should be no problem now. I'd use it in preference to the boring Autovia. If you're going to the Costa Blanca you're likely to be spending a lot on time on the autoroutes.

Guest Tracker

We hope to be on our way South for some winter sun in January and I can't seem to determine which major towns these two routes pass through or near so if anyone can help me sort out the most effective toll free route from Calais to Perpignan and on to Murcia my wallet would be eternally grateful please as time taken en route is not a problem 'cos we have all the time in the world!

Guest Tracker
catinou - 2008-10-23 4:06 PM

Tracker - 2008-10-23 4:03 PM

time taken en route is not a problem 'cos we have all the time in the world!

Now I'm really envious ;-)

Your turn will come but don't wish your life away - it's too precious!

Fastest and cheapest way to south of Spain is via W. France. From Calais, Autoroute to Rouen via Boulogne, there is a toll for part of it but only around 8euros. Then via N routes, Dreux, Chatres, to pick up N10, Tours, we usually use the Autoroute to Poitiers to save time, but N10 though slower is acceptable. From Poiters onto N10 which is dual carriageway for 95% of the way to Bordeaux.\ Then A10/N10 which is free until the last 50kms before the Spanish border (well worth paying only a few euros) Then A63 auto via for about 8 junctions onto N1 tothrough the Tolosa valley towards Vitoria Gasteiz and then to Burgos. There is a toll between Vitoria and Burgos, alternatively follow the N1 road which runs parallel and is almost as fast, though busier. From Burgos down to Madrid and then using the new outer motorway take the A3. this splits after a few hours eithre torads Valencia or Mucia. Driving time from Calais to spanish border about 12 hours, then about 9 to Valcencia and 11 to murcia. Dual carriage the whole route apart from the some stretches on the N10 between dreux and Poiters.

Guest Tracker
Many thanks Ryedaleman I appreciate your help - and welcome to the madhouse where things are rarely what they may at first seem!

No problem tracker. for stop off points we can reccomend following: At Calais park just off the town centre on the quay side. There a dedicated aire but its expensive , gives nothing and is noisy.

St Maure de Touraine N10 north of Poitiers. Parking area in centre of village, shops resturants all within 70m, quiet and free.

Many people stay at St Jean de Luz just before the Spanish border at Camping Larrouleta which is open all year, though we normally carry on to Haro in the Rioja area of Spain a few miles off the N1. Here the site is open most of the year (apart from a few weeks around Xmas) and is walking distance to the town and tapa.

South of Madrid on the Jean- Granada road is camping Aranjuez, now refurbished and in excellent site. Walking distance to the town and its many attractions.

Guest Tracker
Thanks again Ryedaleman. We are no strangers to Calais and we know the parking area you mention but we rend to prefer to find somewhere quiet around either Cap Gris Nez or Grand Port Phillipe depending which way we are going and the others you mention sound useful.

Thanks Tony, I will certainly try the 121a again if they have increased the roadwidth. Last time I travelled on it I found that it was extremely busy with HGVs and I couldn't even get diesel without having to queue behind several of them.

Colin

Thanks ryedaleman for such a very descriptive route to Spain.

We too will be going in Feb and it is the first time we have been abroad with the Motorhome, we are a little nervous so we are very grateful when someone can explain it so well.

I have copied and pasted to print off and will follow it exact.

We will also plan around the stopovers and campsites you have named.

Thanks once again. (lol)

locovan - 2008-10-24 8:17 AM

Thanks ryedaleman for such a very descriptive route to Spain.

We too will be going in Feb and it is the first time we have been abroad with the Motorhome, we are a little nervous so we are very grateful when someone can explain it so well.

I have copied and pasted to print off and will follow it exact.

We will also plan around the stopovers and campsites you have named.

Thanks once again. (lol)

Hi Mavis,

As it's your first time on mainland Europe with your motorhome this summary of our trip down to Conil de la Frontera, Spain in Jan 2007 for a couple of months in the winter might be off use to you. I've also included an alternative route through France. Disregard any fuel prices as they will be well out of date.

FRANCE

Sun. 14th Jan.

A very good refuelling place at Calais is the Elf filling station just off Junc 3 as you are leaving the port complex. Take the last exit of the roundabout and the Elf station is on the right. It was closed earlier this year for refurbishing I don't know whether it's open again yet. There's also the Auchan supermarket which will now take the UK plastic.

We travelled 363 miles and stayed on the aire at St Maure GPS N47º 6'42.0 E0º 37'1.0 which is about 20 miles south of Tours on the N10. We used the Peage (motorway) from Calais to Tours. A16, A28 to Rouen, Le Mans and Tours. Totals tolls were €49.90. We have been using the aire at St Maure for many years and it is usually very quiet at night, if you don't want an early call park well away from the "bottle bank".

Mon 15th Jan.

Today we had a 320 mile trip to St Jean de Luz were we stayed at Camping Larrouleta (€15.50 per night) for two nights, we like to have a day off after three days of driving. The site has wifi connection €5 for 30 min.

A very good refuelling point is the Champion hypermarket which is 14 miles south of St Maure on the N10; we paid €0.97 for a litre of diesel.

The N10 is now nearly all dual carriageway to Bordeaux. We did use the Peage from Chatellerault north to Poitiers south at a cost of €5.70 we think it's well worthwhile it to avoid the hassle of going through the towns.

When you reach the Bordeaux ring road follow the signs for Bassin D'Arcachon and Bayonne A 63. I would suggest you stay on the A63 to the Spanish boarder as the N10 gets very congested going through Bayonne, Biarritz and St Jean de Luz.

At the Leclerc hypermarket at St Jean de Luz diesel was Euro 0.99 per litre. In France diesel prices varied from €1.16 on the "Peage" to €0.97 at the super/hypermarkets. Extreme caution should be exercised when refuelling at Super/Hypermarkets as some of them have a very restricted manoeuvring area.

In France the Autoroutes (Motorways) are signed in Blue the N routes are signed in green. The Autoroute is mainly a toll road and the toll sections are clearly signed "PEAGE". Tolls can be paid by cash (€) or the "Plastic". The tolls can work out very expensive over long distances.

Many people use the word "PEAGE" when referring to toll roads throughout Europe.

SPAIN

Wed 17th Jan.

We travelled 270 miles to La Cabrera, which is 60 km north of Madrid.

We travelled via the A63 peage (€2.20) into Spain, AP8 San Sebastian

(€1.45) then A1, Vitoria, AP1 Burgos (€9.15) and A1 La Cabrera. We stayed at Camping Pico de la Miel (€18.50 per night) the site is not suitable for ARV's and the touring pitches are restricted in height by metal overhead frames.

Thurs 18th Jan.

Today we had a 300 mile trip to Camping Cubillas (€14.50 per night) a lake side site 9 km north of Granada.

Fri 19th Jan.

Today we had a 205 mile trip to Camping La Rosaleda at Conil de la Frontera which is about 30 miles east of Cadiz in a non "touristy" area. The site has excellent facilities, well designated pitches of a good size. There are only a few pitches suitable for ARV's. Suitable for long stays with very good discounts (€255 for 30 nights) there's also a very good on site restaurant. Free wifi connection is also available.

MADRID RING ROAD.

With the completion of the Madrid ring road transiting the city is now very easy. It's a very well engineered "Spaghetti" junction; I set the cruise control at 60 mph and maintained that speed for most of the trip round the ring road. For rapid entry/exit to the city there are the R (rapid) routes they are clearly marked "Peaje/Toll"

We used R4 to exit the city and it cost us €7.05 for the 56 km journey well worth the expense to avoid the very heavy traffic leaving the city.

If you are transiting the city from the north (E5/A1) to the south

(E5/A4) just follow this route.

From E5/A1

Take M50, Head towards E90 A2 Zaragoza M45 A3 A4

Head towards R3 Valencia E901 A3 Valencia A4 R4 A42 R5

E5 A4 Cordoba Exit 46.

Or for rapid route follow signs R4.

These instructions might seem complicated but they are easy to follow. If by any chance you do get lost just follow any A4/R4 Cordoba sign.

There are plenty of night stops as far as Madrid/Aranjuez and Valdepenas after that they are few and far between.

We often stop in the truckers truck stops or the Car parks of the large restaurants/hotels.

If you want to free camp the Shell Garage at KM 191 on the A4 north of Valdepenas is a very good spot. Well off the road and plenty of room.

If you want a camp site in the area I can recommend Camping Despenaperros at Santa Elena. Leave A4 at KM 257 enter the village and follow the camping signs. If you arrive in the dark be careful as you enter the site as the entrance is offset to the road. The gate is wide enough but you will need to take care.

The road signs can be a bit confusing as they are in the Basque Language as well.

In Spain the motorways are called Autovia and Autopista, normally the Autovia is free and the Autopista is a toll road. The Autovia is signed A, while the Autopista is signed AP. There could be some exceptions.

ANOTHER ROUTE THROUGH FRANCE.

In many places the route follows the Peage so if need be you can hop on and make up time if you so wish.

Calais to Laigne en Belin about 280 miles An aire in the village which is just of the N138 about 12 miles south of Le Mans GPS N47º 52'41.9 E0º 13'38.0

Laigne en Belin to Cavignac about 240 miles and aire in the village just off the N10 about 20 miles north of Bordeaux.

GPS N45º 5'57.8 W0º 23'16.7

Cavignac to St Jean de Luz about 130 miles Camping Larrouleta www.larrouleta.com GPS N43º 22'12.52 W1º 41'10.40

I would suggest you use the A63 Peage at the end of the N10 as that road can get very congested through Bayonne & Biarritz to St Jean de Luz.

If you plan to use the Aires in France I would suggest you have a look at "All the Aires France"

http://www.go-motorhoming.co.uk/all-the-aires.htm it lists 1600 aires and is a very good buy.

For campsites I would suggest Caravan Club "Caravan Europe 1" see http://tinyurl.com/6ekfca

Safe travelling

Don

Hi I have done the trip over 40 times so I know it pretty well I agree with the N10 in france but after Bordeaux continue south on the free motorway

and take the road to Pau and use the tunnel in to Spain via Husca. Zaragossa,Treuel, Albercete Mucia. Never Paid a penny in tolls But make sure the tunnel is open in the winter I used it last febuary and it was a bit cold but ok

Petedaniel

Some more useful websites are:

www.campingcar.com lists aires in france by region.

www.campingfrance.com, lists campsites in France

www.vayacamping.net, lists campsite in Spain.

Dons route uses the new motorway between Rouen and Tours, which shaves about 1.5 hours off the driving time across France. Using this you could also head towards Samur where there is an aire on the banks of the Loire. Another in this area site open most of the year is at La Fleche, which is another favourite for Brits and Dutch travelling south. It's also a lovely site on the Loir (no e it's a different river) right in the town.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

Used the N121A from Pamplona on our return trip from Spain - it was not a pleasant experience. Although the scenery is wonderful, they are upgrading the road in several places with long delays at several points. Several of the areas which are near to upgrades under construction have very poor road surfaces with some very deep potholes.

I think that I will wait for at least 3 years before I use this road again - by then it should be really good.

Alan W

I'm a technical eejit but I've just managed to print off Don's route. I clicked on printer friendly version, then highlighted the bit I wanted as a quote and printed that off. There's probably an easier way and if so someone will tell you, I'm sure. Try "quoting"/printing a small passage first of all to see if it works.

ike 

Hi Alan just a small addition to Dons route etc. which is excellent is that the Aires mentioned for Cavignac comes under the aires St. Savin - St Mariens in Camperstop '08 page 278 and map page 14B4 showing just a stop but in actual fact including French Passion there are more stopping places than campers to use them, something like 20+ so you really are spoilt for choice.

All the very best on your trip I too will be heading South from Jan 8th. for a bit of winter sun, never know, small world may see you on the road.

(lol) (lol)

Archived