Free first gas bottles

vindiboy

Iv'e just been to .FLO GAS at Romsey, [bELBINS ] Hampshire and obtained 2 x 11 kg Propane bottles for £40- 40 £20-20 each and a 6 kg Propane for £15- 40. no charge was made for Hiring the bottles. Won't bother with refillbles now. Happy Camper .Malc. (lol)

Guest Tracker
So what will you do if or when the gas runs out and you are several hundred miles away from the supplier, or is there a list of convenient Flo Gas suppliers who will exchange bottles for you?

Having spoken to a gas bottle supplyer who stocks Flowgas, I was taken aback on how many outlets Flowgas have. They appear to have bought out and own many other gas brands which allows a Flowgas bottle to be swoped with any of the groups brands.

I do have a list of these other brands but it is too long to mention.

One thing is for certain though, I cant see any problem being able to change a Flowgas cylinder, with one major exception that is Club sites who still only stock Calor gas.

Guest Tracker

There is no right or wrong way - just different and if it works for you that is great!

But with Calor prices at £16.40 and £21.90 I don't personally feel that the savings is worth the effort.

I can get Calor at many filling stations, showgrounds, caravan sites, and garden centres too which are all very handy and often on route when away from home so the savings in cost is probably even less if you do not have to go off route to find your next gas bottle.

I have a free Gasflow (as opposed to Gaslow) for anyone who wants to collect it on their through Cumbria. I have only bothered to replace it on one occasion as the refill was so much more expensive than Calor (at that time). I have now swapped to Gaslow so it is certainly surplus to requirements.

H i Tracker ,you are very lucky to be able to get Calor Gas at those prices in your area.I suggest you don't buy Calor Gas in Hampshire as if you do you will pay 5-6 pounds more for each cylinder as Southampton area is supplied from Calor at Millbrook and they control the prices for our area and can only be described as a rip off. Travel a few miles to Dorset and the price becomes similar to what you are paying where you live, as Dorset is supplied from Poole Calor,why there should be such a difference in price area to area only smacks of profetering as far as I can see. FLOGAS is available all over and there is a published list of suppliers available from FLOGAS.

Guest Tracker

These are the suggested Calor gas website prices and confirmed by my local garden centre.

I generally find that filling stations too seem to stick with these prices and if I am quoted a silly price I tell 'em to stuff it where the sun don't shine and I go elsewhere - as long as we are not desperate of course!

vindiboy - 2008-10-23 2:27 PM

H i Tracker ,you are very lucky to be able to get Calor Gas at those prices in your area.I suggest you don't buy Calor Gas in Hampshire as if you do you will pay 5-6 pounds more for each cylinder .................

Hi vb I believe that if you are being charged more than Trackers quoted prices you are being wrongly overcharged as they are the recommended national prices for Calor see

https://secure.calor.co.uk/OrderCalorCylinders/default.asp?PageType=propane

Bas

Flogas has an excellent website (www.flogas.co.uk) that includes a search capability to identify Flogas agents within the UK. Stockists of gas-cylinders can be found, as can Flogas autogas outlets. (A brief check using my postcode suggests that the information is accurate.)

The website also lists the Flogas LPG containers that are available and their suggested prices. Note that, for certain Flogas BUTANE cylinders, the connection-valve differs in diameter from Calor's. As Ocsid highlights, when comparing prices be aware that Flogas markets 13kg(butane) and 11kg(propane) containers, whereas the Calor equivalents are 15kg(butane) and 13kg(propane).

Regarding 'free first gas bottles', the Flogas website carries the following caveat:

"Gas cylinders 11kg and below without a suitable exchange will be subject to a 'Non returns' charge of £29.99 (inc VAT per cylinder. Please note that any Flogas cylinder 11kg and below (excluding the Leisuregas 9kg & 11kg) can be used in exchange for this cylinder."

I visited a couple of local Flogas suppliers a while ago - a small hardware store and a tool hire company. The former would have charged the "Non-returns" fee, but the latter would have overlooked it. I suspect that Flogas agents may be less picky than Calor ones about this, though it's academic as far as I'm concerned as I've never had any difficulty getting hold of buckshee Calor bottles. My understanding is that (at least where Calor is concerned), when the non-returns fee is charged, the money goes directly to the gas supplier and the retailer makes no profit from it.

When it comes to widespread UK availability of gas bottles, I'm sure that Calor remains the best bet. Certainly there are more Calor stockists near to me than Flogas ones and, particularly if I needed the smaller size containers (4.5/3.9kg or 7kg/6kg) commonly used by UK motorcaravanners, I'm reasonably confident I could exchange Calor containers easily locally any day of the week, but pretty sure this wouldn't be so for Flogas. So, if you are the sort of chap/chapess that a) has a motorhome with small gas bottles, b) uses lots of gas and c) tends to be optimistic and/or absent-minded about how much gas you've got left in your bottles, then it would be wiser for you to opt for Calor rather than Flogas.

I suppose it's worth reminding forum members that Calor suppliers will only exchange Calor bottles and that Flogas suppliers won't accept Calor bottles for exchange. Also that no UK-marketed gas bottle can be exchanged abroad.

Archived