LPG

Guest Don Madge

Guest Don Madge
For info on LPG in UK and Europe see www.boostlpg.co.uk The info on what adapters are required in individual countries is not quite 100%. If you have all three adapters Clawgun, Acme and Bayonet you won't have any problems. When filling up in Germany be aware there are two different types of gas. LPG Autogas and CNG Natural gas. I don't think the filling adapters will be the same, but beware. For those with dual powered vehicles just a reminder about the regulations for LPG and the Eurotunnel. Vehicles fitted with LPG containers to power domestic services e.g. cooking, refrigeration, heating and water heaters are accepted as long as the containers are switched off, weigh no more than 47kg and are not more than 80% full. If your vehicle is fitted with such a container, you must declare this at Check-In. LPG and dual powered vehicles (i.e. vehicles fitted with an LPG tank as an alternative fuel) cannot be accepted for transport by Eurotunnel. At present LPG is cheaper in this country than on mainland Europe so fill up before you go abroad. Regards Don

Don I have a US RV with the standard Acme screw on connection. I have bought an Acme to Bayonet adapter and I think I might like an Acme to Clawgun adapter. Can you recommend somewhere where I can purchase one at a reasonable cost? I have seen them at £43 + VAT which I think is outrageous. Any ideas? Regards Neal

Guest Don Madge
Neal, TB Turbo www.tb-turbo.co.uk/shop/6/10/index.htm Have them at £5.87 French/Italian adapter. Have you filled up yet using your bayonet adapter? They come in two differnet length sizes and two thread sizes. The clawgun adapter comes with two different thread sizes. I know I found out the hard way when I had a Laika 400i with two 60 litre LPG tanks. Regards Don

Guest Will Redfearn,Wirral Motorhome Club
Beware Shell have had a policy of rolling out installation of LPG pumps at its filling stations, however they do not permit the filling of gas bottles and domestic tanks. In have filled up at my local gas depots and some have the appropriate adapters and some do not. Usually they have been lost and not replaced. I have 2 Calor depots near to me, 1 in Liverpool which does not charge me VAT on filling because it is for heating and cooking not motive power and the other in Ellesmere Port does charge VAT. The problem with the Liverpool depot is it costs me £2.60 in tunnel tolls to get there. Calor centres DO have the adapters LPG cheaper in 'Rip Off' Britain you had better keep that quiet!

Guest Derek Uzzell
Neal: You might also try MTH Autogas (www.mthautogas.co.uk) in Gloucestershire as they are RV-literate. Don't know about variations between 'same fitting' adapters, but I've encountered three different French pump-connectors - a simple, easy to use one that always works OK, a pistol thing with lots of parts that's intimidating at first sight but usually co-operates and a push-to-connect, push-to-disconnect devil that may be fine for cars but needs a good deal of care with a user-refillable bottle like mine.

Guest Don Madge
Derek, I came across the push on/off type for the first time on our last trip. I agree it's an absolute pig even with my external filling point. I suffer with arthtitis and I only just managed to get connected. It was at a Total garage, I'll try to avoid them in future. Don

Guest Derek Uzzell
Don: My experience was at a Station-U and it was actually more traumatic than just a connection difficulty. I've got a composite refillable bottle with no stop-fill valve which means, when I top it up, that I need to input a precise amount of gas to avoid filling the container beyond 80% capacity. So I connect up OK, open the bottle's valve and there's all the usual bubbling and hissing as pump and bottle equalise pressures. I press the operating button on the pump - nothing happens and the read-out remains resolutely at zero, so I really jam down on the button and the read-out moves up until it registers the 6 litres of gas I want to put in the bottle. I shut the bottle's valve and push the connector to disconnect: there's an almighty whoosh of gas from the connector and the pump's readout leaps to well beyond 8 litres. Checking the bottle reveals the worst - that it is completely full of liquid gas. I won't recount what happened shortly after - let's just say it did nothing for the Earth's atmosphere!

Archived