Silliest Spares Price Ever?

Bill Ord

Just returned from a two month trip round France and Spain and on the way the Shower room door handle on my Rapido 924F became reluctant to close properly as if the internal spring in the lock had weakened. On examination at home my diagnosis proved correct and though I could see the return spring for the lock I was reluctant to strip it to try to effect a repair. So I rang the spares department at Brownhills at Newark and spoke to a very pleasant person who promised to phone me back with the price as they didn't have one in stock. As promised I was contacted within twenty minutes to be told that the price was £355, yes that's not a typo. The very pleasant person said it must be a mistake but it was the price quoted by Rapido on their web site and she would pursue it with Rapido at Mayenne to check and get back to me. Today I was contacted by Brownhills spares department and they confirmed the £355 price and the very pleasant person said she was surprised, they used to carry them as stock items at £200, again no typo but they didn't have one in stock at their other branches. The lock looks just like any ordinary domestic door lock but the lock insert is quite slim but I may be able to source one from a hardware store but everything in B&Q is too large. I've made a running repair by attaching an elastic band from the handle to the towel rail and it works fine but I do want a replacement lock. I can't imagine anybody paying these prices for parts so what is the point? It won't even work as a "rip off" because it's just too outrageous.I believe the spring weakened because the handles are quite heavy and cause small movement on the handle when travelling so causing premature aging of the spring. Let's have your silliest parts price quotes please. I don't blame Brownhills, if Rapido are asking these prices it must be because they don't want to supply spares, shame as otherwise I'm really happy with the vehicle.

Bill Ord

Guest Tracker
If it's just a spring Bill, maybe a handle from B&Q might contain a spring that you can modify or maybe a local engineering firm could make one for you or re-temper the original if it is not broken at a sensible price?

Thanks Tracker, the spring is in the lock mechanism and can be seen when the lock is removed from the door but it seems as if the lock will have to be forced open to gain access. I have had the same thoughts as you as to re-tempering and it may be to only recourse in the end. I'm afraid that forcing open the lock may be terminal for the lock so I'll leave that as a last resort.

Bill Ord

Guest Tracker

If the van is not very old how about a pleading letter to Rapido - don't know about you but I have no pride when it comes to saving money!

Or visit the showroom armed with a screwdriver and a friend to employ distraction techniques as one form of highway robbery deserves another (only joking - honest)!

Bill,

What I think you have is a European syle door latch, narrow profile. They are incredibly dificult to find in the UK but available with ease in France and other European Hardware stores as comonly used. Give a Locksmith a try as they may be able to source. I am only guessing this is what the lock is from pictures of interior on rapido website.

Bill Ord - 2008-10-23 4:23 PM

I can't imagine anybody paying these prices for parts so what is the point? It won't even work as a "rip off" because it's just too outrageous.

You're overlooking the one exception - if one of these doors gets bent in an accident, the insurers will pay and stick it on everyone's premiums, which is how vehicle body repairs have become so absurdly expensive. Ripping off insurance companies is seen as "victimless crime," although of course we all pay.

Tony

rapido 924f shower room door lock wichIhad the same problem with.the internal spring has not weakened only come nuclipt.I took mine apart with a little force bending the notches round the sides of the lock to lever it open. if I can do it I am sure a locksmith could. mine has work again for the passed year or so.best of luck.

Good point Tony but it really makes me wonder at Rapido's attitude with prices like this as it doesn't do anything except harm to customer relations. I've had a locksmith out today and he couldn't repair the lock as the lock is not screwed together but has the sides of the lock turned over on itself. No doubt it could be opened but there is no guarantee that it will go together again. While I've still got a semi-functioning lock I'll keep looking for a replacement. I've been looking at French web-sites but not much luck so far. It's finding a lock that will be a direct replacement that's the problem as I don't wish to damage or alter the door. I'll keep the forum informed if I get a solution as I can't be the only one with the problem as it does seem that it is the weight of the handles "chattering" on the springs during travelling that is the cause. Aluminium handles will lessen the problem so that will be on my wish list when I replace the lock.

Bill Ord

Archived