Beware of breaking down!

ike

At the end of our holiday in France our radiator began leaking. We managed to get to Dover and called out RAC under the Arrivals scheme. We were transported in stages by three different transporters. During the 2nd leg our van was damaged whilst it was on the loader. It had been rubbing against a traffic cone, which was sitting on the lorry bed, for the duration of the journey. We reported it immediately to the RAC, took photos and noted the job sheet. On returning home we had the damage repaired - £210 - and contacted RAC to recover the cost. RAC refused saying that as no one saw the damage being done it couldn't be proved that it had been caused in transit. Also because my husband had driven our van onto the transporter we were deemed responsible. The "technician" didn't use a winch and as there was only one "technician" in attendance Allan had no choice but to drive the van on, under the "technician's" guidance. We were offered £10 for our inconvenience, rejected this, offered £50, rejected this, offered £105, rejected this and today received a call saying they would be paying the £210. This is the potted version and we had other problems which I won't go into. I sent numerous e-mails and eventually a three page letter to Customer Care before resolving this. To load a 22ft van onto a transporter, which is substantially shorter, requires more than one technician but all three companies involved used only one. Presumably this is to save costs. I don't know if there is any answer to this problem. Should we have refused to drive our van onto the loader? In hindsight, yes. That would certainly be our position should we be unfortunate enough to break down again. And persistence pays off - £210 is certainly better than £10!

Cheers ike

I.M.O you should have refusd to drive your van on due to the fact that the RAC's insurance would probably be invalid should you have a mishap and maybe yours as well. As he RAC were being used as contractors to get your van home, their personnel should be responsibele for loading it onto their vehicle. Imagine what could be the result of you driving it off the side of their truck. It doesn't bear thinking about.

peter - 2008-10-24 3:51 PM

I.M.O you should have refusd to drive your van on due to the fact that the RAC's insurance would probably be invalid should you have a mishap and maybe yours as well. As he RAC were being used as contractors to get your van home, their personnel should be responsibele for loading it onto their vehicle. Imagine what could be the result of you driving it off the side of their truck. It doesn't bear thinking about.

Poor advice im afraid. tried this before in a car (my posh hot hatch in teh 90s) and was told "stay there then mate"

Thought i would test him out, he drove off, left me there, RAC then refused to come and get me stating that I had already been offered recovery.

I done this due to a similare breakdown (bloody Renalults) a few months earlier cusing damage to my spoilers of my GT TURBO costing an arm and a leg to repair.

Well i can shed some light on this as i am a qualified IVR recovery tech.

1. A vehicle - especially large ones - should NEVER be driven on. This is because you have to keep an eye on the overhang which can foul the road as it goes up.

2. An owner should NEVER be anywhere near the vehicle, but in the cab. This is for the owners' safety, road safety, and allowing loading without distraction.

3. Health and Safety does not permit an owner of a vehicle anywhere near the bad at any time, you may fall off, drive off the bed etc.

4. Breaching these would not only be breaching h&s laws, but the entire code of conduct of roadside rescue.

Other interesting things.

Generally, for caravans/motorhomes etc, it is ADVISED to have two people, but it is quite safe and acceptable to use one IF YOU ARE ADHEREING TO IVR STANDARDS. (ie the vehicle is being winched up, and the operator is watching all angles, and moving around checking as he goes)

The damage would have to be present on the damage report, on the recovery sheet given at the time of recovery - if it isnt, you have a claim.

If you contact RAC and ask then WHY all IVR Regulations were not adhered to, why you were asked to drive the vehicle on yourself as a non qualified, inexperienced person not used to loading vehicles onto lorries, and why they had breached every health and safety regulation in the book they might just start playing ball!!

Also get advise from the IVR (Institute of Vehicle Recovery). The technician should have an IVR Passport!

Archived