Routes to Italy

Brian Kirby

Guest Brian Kirby
Hello All We intend travelling to Italy early next April, returning (latest) end of June. Most likely crossing Newhaven-Dieppe, but failing that ferry or tunnel to Calais. Both routes seem logically to co-incide around Compiegne, so I'm not too concerned with North of there. However, I wonder if anyone could please suggest good routes South from Compiegne (or thereabouts) and, especially, stopping points (reliable aires or campsites that are permanent - or open early) en-route to the Italian border, and beyond if possible. Concerning our route, we wish to avoid the toll Autoroutes as we rate class 2 and the cost stacks up far too quickly! We are not in a rush, like exploring as we go, and prefer not to start driving much before 10:30 or to continue much after 17:30! We'd prefer to enter Italy from France rather than Switzerland or Austria to avoid (especially the Swiss) vignettes. Re Alpine crossings, does anyone please know if the Col de l'Arche via Barcelonette is viable that early? Ditto Col de Montgenevre via Briancon, or Frejus tunnel. Or am I simply better off going via Provence and sticking to the coast behind the Cote d'Azur via Menton and Ventimiglia? Rough itinery is Turin, Levante, then South to Calabria, sticking briadly to the West side of the Apennines and then back up the East side via Puglia to Ravenna (ish), maybe Venice, thence Milan and back into France. I'm assuming there will be no problems with Alpine routes in late June! However, any observations on passes and motorhomes would be most helpful. We have a 6 metre low profile, 2.3 metres wide and approx 2.7 high, 3.4 tonne max. It's a 2.8JTD Fiat, so I'm no too concerned with getting up/down the passes, or with length on bends: just the general road conditions and any known problems with road width etc. Many thanks and regards Brian

Guest Don Madge
Brian, A route we have used in the past is Grenoble N91 Bourg d'Oisans Col du Lautert 2058 Metres Briancon N94 Col de Montgenevre 1636 metres Then on to Turin. This is not a fast route as there are many trucks on it at times. The N91 has been upgraded and the tunnel work at Lake Chambon and Le Grave has also finished. The views are excellent. The Col du Lautaret is usually open in April, if the winter has been bad it could still be closed in April. You can check before you leave and have a plan B. The Col de Montgenevre is a lower col at 1636 metres and should cause no problems except for trucks. Bear in mind the locals will be heading for the ski areas on Friday PM and returning home Sunday PM so try and avoid those times. I would avoid the Barcelonette area that early on especially if the winter has been bad Enjoy your trip. Regards Don

Brian Can't advise you on your preferred choice of route; we turn SSE from Dunkirk and travel through Luxumborg and Switzerland, crossing into Italy via the St Gottardo tunnel. We stick to autoroutes (free ones wherever possible) as we are 9 metres long and weigh 7 tonnes. Just a word of advise regarding Italian roads; off of the motorways (autopista) we have found the roads to be generally very poor. The actual cost of tolls is quite minimal and you can buy a VIA card at the first services to use on the autotolls. Still, the choice is yours; it's all an adventure. Enjoy. Regards Neal

I went to Italy this year via the l,arche pass. It did not open untill about the 25th May.Prior i stayed at Castalane, well worth a visit.Take the drive around the gourge.Good site at Barcelonette.The road over the Alps is ok,many bends on the Italian side.My van is a low profile McLouis363 2.8jtd, no problem up or down.Came back over the Petit St Bernard late June ,ok lot of snow at top, but raod clear

Guest Brian Ramsden
I have used the following route at that time of year more than once, with no problems: From Calais via Béthune & Arras the first stop is Peronne ( Camping Port de Plaisance) as this fits in with the crossing time), then St Quentin, Reims (use the Autoroute round Reims as it is free) Troyes (Lac d' Orient)for aire at Mesnil St Pere or one of the other aires on this lake. then Langres (good Camping municipal Navarre), Gray, Besançon, Pontarlier, to aire at St Point du Lac (try the local Conté cheese - it is worth going this route just for this). Then into Switzerland, but keep to the main road,N9, not the m'way to Lausanne, Montreaux, Sion and Martigny. Then St Bernard pass (tunnel) to Aosta, Châtillon, Settimo, and the aire (sosta) at Santº de Graglia. Then Biella and then south to pick up the motorway - A264 or A4, depending on where you are going. I agree that it is not worth trying to travel on the ordinary raods in most of Italy, they are too congested. Don't miss Venice - the best stopping place is Camping Miramare at Punta Sabbionne, which you reach via Jesolo. You can get the ferry from here to St. Marks. If you go down to Levante, you can stop on the promenade at Bonassola in the Cinque Terre for free. Brian

Guest Don Madge
Brian, If on your return trip you fancy ssome stunning alpine scenery you could try a route through the Maritime Alps. This route we have used twice over the years and I can highly recommend it. It takes in the Route Napolion, Gorges Verdon in the Haut Verdon and the Col d'Allos. Nice/Cannes area Grasse N85 Route Napolion to Castellane N85 Andre les Alpes D955/D908 Colmars D908 Allos Col d'Allos 2247 metres Barcelonnette. Enjoy your trip which ever way you go. Regards Don

Guest Brian Kirby
Dear All Very many thanks to you all for your suggestions. Any others gratefully received - route still under consideration! Apologies for tardy response - been out for a couple of days. Seasons greetings to you all (bit early really, but I suppose you have to start sometime!) Thanks again Brian

Brian, Please excuse me for intruding on your posting. Just to let you know that I have received a disappointing reply from Riversway Leisure regarding the mould on my blinds. I have put a reply on your original 'Remis front blinds, Fiat Ducato steering' posting - 26/10/2005 Regards, Alan

Archived