city vans

Poppy

Interesting vehicles, they are slimmer than your average A class, but they aren't always much shorter, if at all. We've seen them at shows a few times now and to be honest some of the finishes leave a bit to be desired, however, for what they are, if they suit your needs, then they appear to be fair value.

Poppy - 2008-10-26 5:03 PM

Anyone seen them? What do you think?

Hi,

Dave Hurrell thinks it looks like a parcel delivery van., I must agree with him.

Vicarious Books have one and for their trips to shows it is ideal. They have not sold as well as Pilote hoped.

Don

Mel B - 2008-10-26 5:13 PM

Interesting vehicles, they are slimmer than your average A class, but they aren't always much shorter, if at all. We've seen them at shows a few times now and to be honest some of the finishes leave a bit to be desired, however, for what they are, if they suit your needs, then they appear to be fair value.

Mel,

They are just under the 6 metre mark.

Another point I remember is the lack of headroom over the kitchen sink.

Don

City Van is made by Pilote.  For 2009 there will be 6 vans in the range, all Fiat based.  Of the 6, three are listed as 5.68 metres long, the others being 6 metres.  All are listed as 2.07 metres wide, x 2.75 metres high.  All have 4 belted travel seats, including driver and front passenger, the GVW/MAM is 3,500Kg, and the free load margin varies between 780 and 720Kg.  Five have a "cycle garage", the other a rear lounge.  The front has been slightly re-styled to achieve slimmer "A" pillars, and the driver's door will now be an optional extra (1,500 Euros in France), as will be the "A" class drop down bed (1,200 Euros).

I'm surprised at the comment about finish since vans from the Pilote stable have usually been quite well finished.  However, only you can judge whether the finish is reasonable for the price.  Looks are a matter of personal taste, but it is a little individualistic.  On the road prices are quoted in France at between 41,800 and 54,300 Euros.

Most of the range was on display at the NEC a couple of weeks ago. They are essentially mini A-Class vehicles, but much shorter and more manageable than almost all other A-Cless with, as Brian says, models at 5.68m and 6.00m long, which compares very favourable with my Renault Master van conversion at 5.89m long. Being a bit wider (2.03m vs 1.99m for the Renault van) they can fit slightly batter sleeping arrangements.

I personally have no problem with their lookswhich is a purely personal taste, and the option of an A-Class drop down bed turns them into an uncramped genuine 4 sleeper with 4 nelted travel seats.

HOWEVER, the finish did leave some things to be desired. I handed a couple of broken pieces from one van to one of the salesmen after a fairly cursory visit - and that was on the first morning of the show! But at the price, what do you expect?

They are built by Pilote and reflect the cheaper fit and finish of most Pilote cheaper models in my experience. Only the Le Vayageur range owned by Pilote promise great finish. but the prices are very other worldly!

Mel E

====

Well the finish would put me off. Maybe the reason they haven't sold over here.We have a hymer van whichwe LOVE apart from the lounge.New short list is euromobile profila. Advantages, build quality,price,ford transit base.Disadvantages, over the cab bed, mainly access really, we would have to try it but the bed is saidto be a good one.Next Hymer 508.Fab van but on a Fiat base and with a loading margin under 500 kg.My guess is if weighed the 5% tolerance would definately come into playas its very much a luxury van. Liked the look of the small rapido EXCEPT for Fiat engine and again loading margin.The new Hymer exis has failed in the lounge department I think.They have really missed a trick here.Too like our 522.City vans looked likely.Fiat base OF COURSE but load margins, size layouts etc. looked good. Don't want quality issues though.

We did a van test for the other magazine ;-)) of the CityVan 57G when it first hit our shores.  It would be inappropriate of me to place our findings here, but suffice to say, if you are at all interested in the first model (I haven't seen the 2009 models), please take a very careful look before you buy.  Look for things like positioning of power points and light switches, headroom when washing up, positioning of tables when eating.  Make sure you run through a "full day in the van" in your mind.

Saw a couple of them at the recent show up in Barcelona in early October - and liked them.

I believe the ones we saw were "2009" spec.

Once I'd got over initial prejudice, I warmed to the external look of them a lot.

Looked very nice in silver. Quirky but good.

They do still seem to be the budget end of the Pilote range, but they were certainly priced to sell here in Spain.....from memory from about €35,000 on the road here.

Certainly one I'd consider in terms of value-for-money if I was going to buy a new MH.

(but I'm not, 'cos personally I don't believe that buying any MH new ever represents good value for money).

Archived