belgium markets/sites

whyman

Despite visiting several Belgian Christmas Markets we've only stayed in walking distance of one of them and that's Brugge.

Picture one shows the location and picture two showing the proximity to the town.

Their is a good Aire to the south of the town, as shown, but you will need to cross a busy main road.  From there, its a really nice walk/wheel into town and I can't remember seeing anything else that you would find an obstacle for you.

If you're going with someone else, and are concerned about crossing the road, you could get them to drop you off at the coach park (by the entrance to the park) then park up at the aire before they leg it across the main road.

219266289_BruggeAire.JPG.7274ccd0681ceac7a8586d1d509b1106.JPG

157680491_BruggeAire2.JPG.2d0d63a06959940d0de76c7f9d503713.JPG

you could stay in a campsite and park up on the main road in front of above aire, no crossing the road then. The road parking on that road is a mix of a lorry parking and car parking, and there were a few motorhomes as well.

We were there at the weekend and stayed here

http://www.campingmemling.be/

Nice, with a pub, bakers, supermarket within a 5 minute walk.

Hi, handyman

We were at Camping Memling from Thursday to Sunday, pity they have started to charge for the Wifi as it used to be free now its €1 per hour

Braunston

handyman - 2008-10-28 8:19 AM

you could stay in a campsite and park up on the main road in front of above aire, no crossing the road then. The road parking on that road is a mix of a lorry parking and car parking, and there were a few motorhomes as well.

We were there at the weekend and stayed here

http://www.campingmemling.be/

Nice, with a pub, bakers, supermarket within a 5 minute walk.

You did not indicate the level of mobility of the person concerned so forgive me if this is inappropriate to their needs. If you stay at Camping Memling in Brugge, the no. 11 bus can be taken to the City Centre from the stop about 5 minutes' walk from the site. They run every 20 minutes from 0700 to 2020 (I think Monday to Saturday but check with the site staff). Sunday it's every hour from 0700 to 1300 then every 20 minutes from 1300. Return is by the same number bus from "Markt" (square). There is an hourly evening/night bus but the times are too complicated to write here! There is a useful leaflet on bus times and routes available from the campsite office which they keep up to date and should provide all you need. You can buy tickets on the bus - about 1.60 Euros I think - or you can buy them from Del Haize supermarket with a 20% discount. The office also has a very good leaflet on Brugge, with a handy street map and things to do and see by day and by night.

There's a Del Haize, Carrefour, Lidl and Aldi supermarket all within 10 - 15 minutes walk from the site and there is a sports centre close by which can be reached by pleasant, generally level, woodland paths or by street pavement.

A person with even minor mobility problems could find walking along Maaise Steenweg - the early part of the jouney to the City Centre on foot, difficult because the narrow pavement is VERY uneven and frequently steeply angled mainly due to vehicle access ramps for residential and business premises, so the bus would be much the better option.

The staff at Memling speak good English and are helpful. The site is popular so I recommend booking in advance if you are on a fixed schedule. Hard standings are available but you need to be gregarious. The grass pitches can get waterlogged but are generally more generous in size.

Bob

Slightly off topic but is the Aire at Brugge still there, I was under the impression that a new one had been constructed nearby and that the old one was just standard parking now ? I only ask as if the disabled person goes there and its gone it will cause them difficulty,. Malc. *-)

Hi,

The old Aire is now a pay and display parking area for motorhomes and directly across the road next to the marina and along side of the Coach park is the new Aire, and last time we used it 2007 it was €12/night and you had to pay extra for the dump and water, so we chose camping Memling as its €20/night but it includes showers water dump etc and some security,

Camping Memling has under gone quite a make over in terms of hard standings, I can remember the times when it rained you had to park on the roadways, now it has quite a number of hard standings albeit they are the mat type where the grass grows through them so you may not notice on first inspection. and if you do use it the site office is only open in the mornings 8 - 12 if they are closed just drive on and find a suitable pitch and sign in the following morning

vindiboy - 2008-10-28 9:42 AM

Slightly off topic but is the Aire at Brugge still there, I was under the impression that a new one had been constructed nearby and that the old one was just standard parking now ? I only ask as if the disabled person goes there and its gone it will cause them difficulty,. Malc. *-)

Wow thats excellent news, I had been putting 15 euro's and got corrected by others who had been there and the price had gone up to 22, I wonder if they are doing it seasonally!!

Thanks for that, can tell my friends who are going in December not to go else where now.

Mandy

Archived