Money for Morocco?

AnnPaul

Guest Tracker

If you are going with Desert Detours Ray will be able to advise you everything you need to know.

My understanding is that Moroccan currency is best bought from a bank in Morocco and paid for in cash Euros or Sterling.

Logic would suggest Sterling in favour of Euros as there seems little point in having two exchanges when one will suffice - but that's only a guess and I could so easily be wrong?

Do let us know how you get on as we are going on the tour in February!

We used our Nationwide Flexaccount Visa card in ATMs throughout the country with no problem, all major towns will have one or more of the national banks, usually with an ATM outside. It's a good idea to make sure the bank is open when you use the ATM, just in case of any difficulty. There are often ATMs at the big supermarkets (Marjane, Acima, and Makro) as well.

FYI, credit/debit cards are not widely accepted for shopping, some of the larger tourist shops will take Visa, all the big supermarkets and some of the smaller ones will too. Few petrol stations will accept card payments (despite some showing the Visa sign!).

When we went a couple of years ago there were currency exchange kiosks in Ceuta, and at the border, where cash could be changed, I recall that some people had trouble changing Sterling, no problem with Euros

Andy_C

Andy_C - 2008-10-27 12:41 PM

When we went a couple of years ago there were currency exchange kiosks in Ceuta, and at the border, where cash could be changed, I recall that some people had trouble changing Sterling, no problem with Euros

Andy_C

For some months there has been no cash exchange [or insurance] at Border.

Ray

Desert Detours

If you mean Ceuta town then yes, there are exchange kiosks at the ticket "touts"........sorry "Ticket Agents". But a grap rate,.......surprise, surprise.........

I think you are crossing about the same time as us.........you know our number/email........we can sort tickets/cash for you.

Ray

detourer - 2008-10-28 1:10 PM

If you mean Ceuta town then yes, there are exchange kiosks at the ticket "touts"........sorry "Ticket Agents". But a grap rate,.......surprise, surprise.........

But probably no alternative for the independent traveller I guess, unless they go on to Tetouan?

I think you are crossing about the same time as us.........you know our number/email........we can sort tickets/cash for you.

Ray

Thanks Ray, that's good of you, but I think we will be about a week behind you...

Andy_C

AnnPaul - 2008-10-28 10:26 AM

Hi having now decided to go to Morocco in January, where is the best place to buy the currency for Morocco? I know we can use Visa etc but will need some cash for everyday living.

regards

Paul and Ann

Hi you can usualy get a good exchange rate for dirhams in Gibralter or dare i mention him again Carlos

Archived