Ferry to France

Mel B

Just to let you know that Seafrance appears to now be offering the cheapest ferry crossing to France during 'normal' daytime hours, eg: I am going out 8.15 on 17/6/06 and returning on at 17.00 on 1/7/06 - total cost with Seafrance £75.00, we could come back at 19.30 but that would cost an extra £5.00 and, as we have a long drive home, we decided on the earlier time. Up until now we've used Norfolk Line but they were quoting £98.00 for the same trip. The only thing that is more expensive is the cost of taking your pets, dogs cost £20.00 each with Norfolk Line but £25.00 with Seafrance but even then it still works out cheaper even if you have 3 like us. Yes, you can get cheaper crossings but only if you want to come and go at some rediculous hours and I'd rather not be too tired for the small amount of money you save. If you find better offers, no doubt you'll let us Forumites know!

I rarely travel on the ferry I book. With Norfolkline you can turn up and go irrespective of the ferry you book with no penalties and no fuss. Can you do this with Sea France?

Max. Thank you. The "dimwit" comment is laughable coming from someone who clearly does'nt understand the way ferries operate. So to answer your question my comments are as follows. Because I travel off season with Norfolkline anyone who knows anything will know that there is plenty of spare capacity during the Spring and Autum. One day last April I travelled on a Saturday from Dunkerque to Dover and there were less than 20 vehicles on board. That hardly constitutes preventing someone else from getting a booking does it? The reason why I book a ferry is simple. If you simply turn up at the Port without booking the cost is far higher. I have been crossing the channel since the early 70's and I can tell you that very many people arrive at the port days or hours early and travel on the next available ferry which is not necessarily the one they book. I like the freedom and flexibility of motorhome travel. On the other hand if your life and arrangements need to be so regimented that you have to be at a Port at a particular day and a particular time then so be it. We are all different. So don't judge people so readily. Your "dimwit" comment was not appreciated.

Now, now, children . . . ! There is another important reason for departure time flexibility, as anyone who has sat in a traffic jam on the M25 can testify.

Guest Brian Kirby
Re Seafrance and travel on alternative ferries. I asked the question earlier in the year and the answer was that, yes, you can return at alternative times to those booked - provided: a) you accept that a more expensive crossing will require an additional payment, and b) that you advise the desired change at least 24 hours before travelling, and c) that your desired return date is no later than the booked date. d) that Seafrance may make an admin charge for the change In the event, dimwits that we are, we returned one week earlier that booked, followed the instructions and had no problem whatsoever and incurred no admin charge. We simply went to the Calais Seafrance office one day before we wished to travel, changed the booking, overnighted in the noisy Calais aire, did a bit of shopping, and travelled the next day. Please also now be aware the Transmanche Ferries (Newhaven-Dieppe) has just published its 2006 fares - and these are substantially lower than before. Peak period motorhome return (but chack on length etc restrictions) £187. Lowest £120 - mainly midweek up to end March. Pets £15. Not as cheap as Seafrance but, depending on where you live, and your direction of travel, even with a four hour crossing, it can be advantageous. Anyway, I like Dieppe! Bon voyage Brian

We travel by motorhome for the freedom it gives to come and go as we wish, not to worry about ferry sailing times.I am therefore often amazed when on a campsite abroad when someone announces that they would love to stay longer but must leave to make their ferry connection. Not to return for work mind you - but to catch the ferry! They then leave it until the last minute and then drive like maniacs to meet these ferry times. Its complete madness. We alway buy off-peak return tickets for our crossing, go roughly when sheduled and then simply forget about comming home until we are ready to do so, sometimes weeks after the ticket date. As far as the ferry companies are concerned you have paid for a ticket and so long as they have room they will always get you on the next available ship. In over forty years we have operated in this manner and never once had any problems. Furthermore, should we turn up around midday (with our off-peak ticket)the result is the same and we can remember being charged extra on only two occasions. The only thing I would add is that we mostly use this method only on the shorter and more frequent sea routes. Have fun and forget aqbout ferry times. They will either have room or not. If not it just means getting on the next one.

Guest Brian Kirby
Ron Good news! However, I was repeating what I was told by Seafrance, which I assume is the official version, and then what happened. I'm a bit reluctant to recommend others just rely upon my experience because, as you say, it sometimes doesn't quite work out like that, and then people get disappointed. The obvious thing is to check with your carrier, and then you're pleasantly surprised when you turn up expecting to have to pay, and find you don't. The point about returning before your scheduled crossing date related to the contract. If you return before your booked date, you're within the contracted period, and there is an implied obligation to carry you. If you turn up later, you're outside the contracted period and, basically, at the mercy of the operator. Contractually, they are no longer obliged to carry you. Fortunately, as you have discovered, they don't usually fall back upon their contractual rights and make you pay for a single, i.e. they are merciful. Now, if it was a train ticket..............! See what I mean? Brian

Brian Yes, I do see what you mean and I would not disagree with what you said. However, I am not talking about the situation in contractual theory but in practise. The problem with contracts is that operators have to include every known clause to cover themselves in these days of liable litigation. By the same token, if asked, the ferry operators would probably deny that a slightly laid-back situation existed - but in practise it does. Try P&O but, by clause 5/431-6+2, dont blame me if.............. Have fun Ron

Guest Brian Kirby
Hello Ron I think the real answer, as with many things in life, is to plan for the worst, but hope for the best! My cautions address the first part, your comments the second. P&O is a very different story at present. Do they stiil exist? Does anyone know who owns them? Will they continue operating ferries? It's a funny old world, isn't it? Take care Brian

As of this moment the answer is yes, yes and yes. Believe it or not people are starting a queue to buy them! It's quite worrying, I may have to change my approach. Regards Ron

Some years ago I travelled regularly Dover Boulogne on the Sea-Cat [Terible crossings on those catamarans but thats another thread]. We were always booked to return at 2130 or so but a few times returned well in time to load on the earlier crossing. They always refused strongly to let us on and we watched the sailing go almost empty [I kid you not] and then joined the masses for the overflowing last boat home. We explained to them many times that by taking us early it gave them extra space that they might sell later in the evening but 'orders is orders' was all we ever got off them. They were one of the first lines to go under of course. What ever happened to 'open' returns - they were very popular years ago.

Guest Brian Kirby
I know this is drifting a bit, but Seafrance did tell me that they do open i.e. undated, returns. However, they went on to say that I'd get a better rate for the ticket by buying a return for my latest feasible return date and then, if necessary, changing the crossing for an earlier one as outlined above. Of course, none of these "wrinkles" are apparent from the web site - you do have to give them a ring, and probably catch the right person as well. However I have found them flexible, helpful and friendly, so it's worth a try. Regards Brian

The last thing you want after a long drive is a fuss and pallava at the ticket office coupled with the element of uncertainty during your drive about whether you will be let on. With Norfolkline you simply turn up. The guy in the booth amends your booking and you travel on the next available ferry. You dont even have to get out of your van.

This posting was supposed to be about the cheapest crossings to France!?!?! It seems to have got hi-jacked for other means. Anyway, to add to this, unfortunately some of us can't easily change which return ferry we take as we have dogs and they have a very imited 'window' when they can be imported back to UK after they have had their vet checks etc. I dread the occasion when for some reason we can't get back on a ferry (such as bad weather, breakdown etc) as we could end up not only having to stay longer than intended but if the time is too tight, end up having to pay for the vets again and then wait at least another 24 hours before we could come home. Those of you that can please yourselves when you return are very lucky and I can't wait to join you all!!!

Guest Brian Kirby
But Mel, a) you've joined the highjackers, and b) you seem to have declared your intention to commit dogicide! On the brighter side, Dover Calais is, in reality, very rarely closed by bad weather. French fishermen though, that's a different story! Regards Brian

Nah, not dogicide ... but retiring early-cide! We're putting a plan into action now that will hopefully allow us to leave work in 2 or 3 years time and live off the capital we've built up in our main home. We're currently buying a second property - a new small bungalow in sunny Scunthorpe - that we can eventually use as a base in this country and as it's new it'll have minimal cost for upkeep (renting it out in the meantime). If it all goes to plan this will allow us to release enough money from our current property, and pay off the mortgage on the new one, to give us enough to live on until we can start to draw our pensions, and yes we have allowed for buying at least one more new (or good secondhand) motorhome ... there are somethings in life that are just such a necessity nowadays!!!! As we don't have sprogs, just dogs, we can pretty much do what we want with our dosh. We can't predict the future, all we can do is just plan as much as possible and hope for the best. If it all works out we'll be in heaven ... well touring around Europe probably! I wish everyone could do this, I know we are lucky to even be able to consider it.

• 3 months later...
Yes you can turn up earlier, and take a different boat. We have done so many times both in this country and from the French side.We have never been charged any extra. We have even telephoned the day before and changed the travel date to a day early.

Norfolkline appear to have changed their policy. When I booked with them a couple of weeks ago they insisted that although I could change the day without charge, sailing during a more expensive period of the day would incur an 'excess' charge. We'll see...

[QUOTE]Machloop - 2006-04-05 11:35 PM Norfolkline appear to have changed their policy. When I booked with them a couple of weeks ago they insisted that although I could change the day without charge, sailing during a more expensive period of the day would incur an 'excess' charge. We'll see... [/QUOTE] That’s strange because when I contacted them their email said they now make a small administration fee to change the booking so I would be very interested if anyone has managed to change their booking no charge. We have not booked yet because last year we were unable 3 times to travel for health reasons. NN changed eached time no charge. I think I have also read on their website that they now charge. Motorhomer

Archived