Vets - again

Norma

Dr Marie Laurent, rue Alphonse Samain 27340 PONT DE L'ARCHE

02 35 23 19 88. I always visit his practice on the way home now. It is literally two minutes walk from the campsite, although this closes at the end of October usually. There is a very large car park though where motorhomes are allowed to park. He charges me 36€, although this depends on the size of the dog and I take my own Frontline. He is very nice and very thorough. If you go on www.pagesjaunes.fr you can download a map.

Patricia

Many thanks. That is exactly what I needed to know. We've stayed with Philipe many times as Tourville is a main place for our shopping. I've even started running with Les Dampes running group! But I needed to check that the vet is geared up for the passport. Mind you the vet we presently use in Etaples charged us €41 which included frontline!

Norma - 2008-10-30 9:39 PM

Patricia

Many thanks. That is exactly what I needed to know. We've stayed with Philipe many times as Tourville is a main place for our shopping. I've even started running with Les Dampes running group! But I needed to check that the vet is geared up for the passport. Mind you the vet we presently use in Etaples charged us €41 which included frontline!

Yes he is certainly geared up for the passport and we chat for quite a long time each time I visit. He gives the dog a thorough examination. If language is likely to be a problem he does understand a few words of English and has quite a few English clients now. Incidentally Frontline is dearer in France now than in England so you might wish to buy some before you go. I always carry some so that I can apply it each month. You were lucky to find a vet in Etaples that only charges 41€ - when I visited one several years ago he charged an absolute fortune. Unfortunately I also had my daughter's dog with me who took an instant dislike to this vet so I had to make a quick get away! However, I did report him to the French veterinary watch-dog - the charge for two dogs was about 180€. I have been very savvy since and always ascertained the charges in advance.

Hi Derek

I don't want to shoot you down in flames but ... you do realise by doing what you are that you are putting both your and our pets at risk? The timings are set so as to minimise any risks and by going outside of these you put your 'needs' before that of your own dog (I assume it is a dog you have?). Have you thought of the possible consequences of your dog bringing something back in to the UK and infecting others?

It may be cheap to do what you are but is it really the right thing if you 'break' the rules and risk causing problems for others????

Back to the plot ... in Boulogne Sur Mer paid 107 euros for 2 dogs including frontline and worming injections, in contrast, at Ardres (south of Calais) we paid I think around 74 euros for 2 dogs including frontline but with worming tablets. I can highly recommend the vets at Ardres, they speak good English and are very friendly.

Sorry Derek but I agree wholeheartedly with Mel about the dangers you risk both to your dog and to ours, not to mention to yourself too. Also the vet should not just give the medication but also give the dog a thorough examination to make sure that they are fit to travel: they have to sign the passport to this effect. I doubt, therefore, that a vet would do all that and throw in the medication for a small fee of 15€ the equivalent of £12.

Mel B - 2008-10-31 9:10 PM

Hi Derek

I don't want to shoot you down in flames but ... you do realise by doing what you are that you are putting both your and our pets at risk? The timings are set so as to minimise any risks and by going outside of these you put your 'needs' before that of your own dog (I assume it is a dog you have?). Have you thought of the possible consequences of your dog bringing something back in to the UK and infecting others?

My dog has a fully valid passport, with all the injections etc. up to date. I can travel throughout mainland Europe with no problems. My dog arrives in the UK fully protected. To quote from the Frontline website:-

"FRONTLINE Spot On kills adult fleas on your pet within 24 hours and keeps your pet protected for up to 5 weeks in cats and approximately 2 months in dogs."

Whether he has the Frontline 96 hours (which he does) or 48 or 24 hours before he crosses the channel is neither hear nor there.

Patricia - 2008-11-01 12:16 AM

Sorry Derek but I agree wholeheartedly with Mel about the dangers you risk both to your dog and to ours, not to mention to yourself too. Also the vet should not just give the medication but also give the dog a thorough examination to make sure that they are fit to travel: they have to sign the passport to this effect. I doubt, therefore, that a vet would do all that and throw in the medication for a small fee of 15€ the equivalent of £12.

My vet does all that. I'm amazed at the prices that UK and French vets charge. When my dog first got his passport and chip etc. It cost 90€ for everything. I've seen people paying much, much, more than that.

Patricia - 2008-11-01 12:16 AM

I've re-looked at the DEFRA site. The only requirements are:-

"To enter the UK, the passport must show that your pet has been microchipped, has a current rabies vaccination and has had a satisfactory blood test. It must also show a current treatment for ticks and tapeworms at the time of entry"

There is no mention of a 'fit to travel' requirement. If the vet has to make sure your pet is 'fit to travel', are you saying you need to take it to a vet in the UK before you travel, if so how many hours before hand?

Sweden allow the Frontline treatment up to 10 days before entering the country. Are they being irresponsible?

Derek I'm afraid I don't have my dog's passport to hand but I think you will find that there is a page for the French vet to fill in about being fit to travel. Also the Frontline is given to control ticks, not fleas, and the ticks in France are particularly dangerous to dogs (and humans too) and unlike the ones found in the UK (afraid all the details relating to this disease are also with the passport). I know a French vet went into graphic detail on how to ascertain whether the dog had contracted this particular disease in order to visit the vet in time to save the dog's life.

However, I agree that Frontline treatment would be equally effective if given before this 24/48 hour rule. I can only presume that the reason for this rule has something to do with the worming procedure in that the time is critical for eradication of the worms (again a particular species that does not exist in the UK) and before further infestation can occur. I am sure that there is an explanation on the internet somewhere for this timeline. Or are the authorities being particularly pernickety?

However, I agree with you that the pricing is scandalous, not so much the vet as I am there usually a good 20 minutes, but the cost of the medication and above all the £30 on the ferries when the animal stays in the m/home or car and I have to find the electronic tag myself - the staff only fill a form in!

Patricia - 2008-11-01 1:43 PM

Also the Frontline is given to control ticks, not fleas, and the ticks in France are particularly dangerous to dogs (and humans too) and unlike the ones found in the UK (afraid all the details relating to this disease are also with the passport).

Absolutely right. So having the Frontline applied 24 hours before I leave home and travel through Spain and France is surely better than waiting until I get to Calais!! Prevention is better than cure.

But what about the tick/worms? I am no vet but I imagine that the restricted time-slot is to prevent re-infestation once the treatment has worn off. There is also definitely a page in the pet passport called 'Clinical Examination' where there is pre-printed declaration that the vet has to sign which states "The animal is in good health and able to withstand carriage to its destination.".

Ask yourself one question - if you were challenged at the port/chunnel or wherever as to the validity of your pet's passport, and they double checked with the vet, what do you think would happen when it became apparent that you had told porkies? Maybe not very likely but they do do checks form time to time.

From what you've said you do, I'm beginning to think that letting my dogs out at either the ferry port or the chunnel on our way back to the UK is not safe as they could end up sniffing where a possibly infected dog has been ... if they picked something up would you look after them for me and pay the vet bill????? Never mind the distress it would cause ... I'll stick with doing it the 'officlal' way. The worse case scenario is that due to questionable vet 'approvals' allowing any pets back into the UK could become much, much, more difficult and expensive. :-|

Mel B - 2008-11-02 6:30 PM

But what about the tick/worms? I am no vet but I imagine that the restricted time-slot is to prevent re-infestation once the treatment has worn off. There is also definitely a page in the pet passport called 'Clinical Examination' where there is pre-printed declaration that the vet has to sign which states "The animal is in good health and able to withstand carriage to its destination.".

Ask yourself one question - if you were challenged at the port/chunnel or wherever as to the validity of your pet's passport, and they double checked with the vet, what do you think would happen when it became apparent that you had told porkies? Maybe not very likely but they do do checks form time to time.

From what you've said you do, I'm beginning to think that letting my dogs out at either the ferry port or the chunnel on our way back to the UK is not safe as they could end up sniffing where a possibly infected dog has been ... if they picked something up would you look after them for me and pay the vet bill????? Never mind the distress it would cause ... I'll stick with doing it the 'officlal' way. The worse case scenario is that due to questionable vet 'approvals' allowing any pets back into the UK could become much, much, more difficult and expensive. :-|

As it happens I have been stopped at the English port and had my pet papers checked several times. I suspect there would be some awkward questions i.e. how did you cover all the miles from Valencia in the time slot as marked in the pet passport without breaking speed limits for a start. I don't actually know how far Valencia is from Calais but I think you would be pushed to do it in under 48 hours. They have certainly checked my dog's passport very carefully.

As Mel says it is to be hoped that this sort of thing is not discovered, or very widespread, otherwise the scheme that was put in place after many years of campaigning could be in jeopardy.

Here is the latest DEFRA factsheet, dated Oct 16th.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/factsheet/factsheet3-081016.htm.pdf

There is no mention of 'section IX - Medical Examination' needing to be completed.

I've done a Google search and it appears that this section is only used for 'commercial animals'.

You'll see it specified on this European Commission website,

http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/liveanimals/pets/comm_intra_en.htm

Found this on DEFRA's website:-

Section IX: Clinical examination

Fitness for travel

Whilst the entry for clinical examination is not required to be completed for the movement of dogs and cats to other EU countries, some transport companies may still require owners to produce evidence of an animal’s fitness to travel.

Veterinarians may, therefore, complete section IX of the passport if they wish to do so. Alternatively, the following statement could be used as a guide if issuing a letter to a client regarding an animals fitness to travel.

That expains why it's not mentioned on the factsheet.

I paid about 32Euro if I remember rightly for Frontline and tablet which I thought very reasonable, a young couple we were talking to took the Fontline and the tablet with them they had bought them off the internet and they paid 20Euro. I worrie d for a couple of weeks about finding a Vet and yet it was very easy our Tom Tom was alerting us all over germany and in France I just asked someone with a dog on site and they recomended one they did make an appointment for us but we just went early and managed to go straight in no trouble.

Archived