MTH Autogas - Forest of Dean

Guest Tracker

all I need to purchase is the cylinder and the filler apparatus? ... The original changover device will still function as normal and doesn't require changing/updating ?

Excuse me butting in but you may need a new high pressure hose because some refillables including Gaslow use the 21.8LH fitting not the POL (UK-Calor Propane) fitting. The change-over should be OK.

My set up was two 6kg calor bottles with manual changeover.

Earlier this year I replaced one Calor with a similar Gaslow cylinder plus external filler point. Cost £200. Six weeks in France so far and its saved about £80 altogether fewer site fees and about a tenner a time in refilling costs. We only tend to stay about three nights in one place so battery state is not a problem.

About half the supermarkets in France have LPG and some bigger service stations. Top up when you see one.

I just keep the Calor as a back up until I guess its a bit low then run it out. Replacment about once every three years I should think.

With no Interchange dedline to keep us at home the Gaslow bottle should finish paying for itself next year.

neillking - 2008-10-30 10:39 AM

"6kg bottles are only £69.95 ". Assuming these are the new type of cylinder(?) and not the old no-gauge type I'm horified to hear that Waudbys are now so desperate.

Hi neil, not to challenge you but just to say I don't believe it is desperation on the part of Waudby's, as they have always been very keen on their pricing of Gaslow stuff (and other motorhome goodies). I would have got mine from them only our local supplier was nearly as keen and also gives 5% discount for Caravan Club members which made the all in cost taking into account carriage costs slightly cheaper, that is still the case today with the latest type of cylinder so Waudby's are not the only company to be able to sell at those prices.Bas

Mmmm, maybe. I haven't spoken to them myself but I did look at their Gaslow cylinder webpage and it illustrates the old pre-2008 cylinder without gauge, we used to sell those ourselves at 69.95. The newer ones are dearer, dearer SRP and dearer trade. Also as a trader I know the Gaslow trade price structure intimately and believe me 69.95 for the new cylinder would be economic suicide!!

neillking - 2008-11-01 11:51 AM

Mmmm, maybe. I haven't spoken to them myself but I did look at their Gaslow cylinder webpage and it illustrates the old pre-2008 cylinder without gauge, we used to sell those ourselves at 69.95. The newer ones are dearer, dearer SRP and dearer trade. Also as a trader I know the Gaslow trade price structure intimately and believe me 69.95 for the new cylinder would be economic suicide!!

Hi Neill,I just visited Waudbys and checked out the prices, they are selling the latest 6kg bottle for £69.95.I mentioned your comment about "economic suicide" and they replied "no comment". :-D I've known Don Waudby for 31 years and he's is a very shrewd Yorkshire business man.I'm not at all impressed with the so called float gauge. The actual gauge clips on the side of the pipe not like gauge on my MTH bottle which is connected to the float. In fact I have one of the Gaslow gauges in my hand right.I can't see how Gaslow can claim any sort of accuracy with a gauge that just clips on to the bottle.RegardsDon

The clip-on gauge is simply a magnetic read-out of the position of the internal float. Own own experience is that it does work as claimed from 50% down to 18%. There were some sticking problems with some of the first consignment but since then the performance and reputation of the gauges has been good.

Archived