Anyone done the Danube?

Vernon B

The adverts by River Cruise Companies have caught my eye recently and I wondered whether some of their itineraries might make a good motorhome tour.

One of them based on the Danube takes in interesting places like Regensburg, Passau, Melk, Durnstein, Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest - so you're going through Germany, Austria, Slovakia, and Hungary. Does anyone have relevant experience including knowledge of camp-sites and m/h facilities along that route? My 2001 edition of Caravan Europe suggest sites are a bit thin on the ground.

Need to start planning for 2009 if only to keep warm

Cheers

Vernon

You could try the ACSI DVD, the 2009 one should be out in January. The 2008 version ( 8600 campsites in 29 countries ) is still available from Vicarious Books. It's fully searchable, many filters so you can view only those that you are interested in, and a very good route planner is included showing exact locations of every campsite.

Phil.

Yes, followed the Danube from Germany into Austria through Hungary and into Romania and finally to Cernavoda near Constanta on the Black Sea. Can't remember exactly when we went either 2002 or 03. Can remember we kenneled the old dog at a town near the Austrian Hungarian border.

We didn't book any sites, just went with the flow. It was an interesting trip though, I think we took 6 weeks in the springtime.

Hi,

We did some of the Danube this year and enjoyed some parts of it.

We travelled east from Linz in Austria the most attractive part was between Melk and Krems known as the Wachau region with the pretty village of Durnstein being a main stopping place for the cruise boats We camped at Rossatz on the opposite bank - there is a foot ferry across and we counted six cruise boats moored there at 8AM in the morning!There are several campsites and a couple of stellplatz in the area.

We also drove from Esztergom to Budapest in Hungary where some parts are attractive.

Like the Rhine it is very industrial in places.

We also visited the Danube near its source between Sigmaringen and Rottweil in Germany where the Donautal is a pretty route.

The sites we stayed at are listed on our website (see link below) and we will be adding more photos and our detailed itinerary over the next few weeks.

HTH

Steve

Archived