Base vehicle servicing

Don Madge

I've just had my 2003 Fiat Ducato serviced/MOT'd by my little man down the road. It had done 56,000+ miles and passed with flying colours.

Due to the age of the van (five & half years old) I had the coolant (anti freeze) replaced also the brake pads. I'm not heavy on brakes and there was still a lot of meat left on them. One observation was one of the pads had started to come away from the backing; I hate to think of the consequences if the pad had come adrift when we were braking at speed.

I don't want to alarm anybody but it might be worth getting the pads checked on your van if they are over five years old.

Don

Brake pads crumbling before they are worn out is not that uncommon, especially on lightly used vehicles. Moisture can get into the pad friction material and cause rust on the metal backing plate. Definitely worth getting them checked regularly. Another problem that occurs with brakes on lightly used vehicle is the calipers can seize up meaning only one pad is doing the work. also lightly used brakes can form a "glaze" which reduces their performance so its a good idea if you're gentle on the brakes to periodically use them a bit harder, perhaps even drive for a short stretch with your left foot gently applying the brake. This will heat up the pads and discs and burn off the glaze.

D.

Many people get caught out trusting main dealer servicing. Most vehicles have 10,000mile service intervals..many even longer. Usually they alternate between a lubrication service, just an oil and filter change, and then a so called main service. Most people don't realise they do not remove the wheels to inspect pads or linings. So when the pads need changing at say 40,000 miles, it nearly always needs discs too. If you have alloy wheels they may even have problems getting them off. and could be paying £100 an hour for the privilage!

I have the wheels removed every year( or more if the mileage requires) the pads removed coppersliped and replaced. similarly the brake drums on the rear are taken off cleaned and reassembled. At the same time the brake pipes, hoses and wheels bearings are inspected adjusted and greased.

Don Madge - 2008-10-31 2:14 PM
Brian Kirby - 2008-10-31 12:46 PM And the cambelt, Don?  Had that done?
Brian, That was done last year along with the brake fluid. Don

Excellent!  I'd only have worried that you'd done all the other bits, and then had your engine disintegrate because the cambelt broke!

I remember buying by mail-order a set of Mintex road/competition brake pads for one of my Mk2 Golf GTIs in the hope that these would improve its awful brakes. When I removed the pads from their box, the friction material on one had separated completely from its back-plate and, when I tapped the back-plates of the other three sharply, they also fell apart.

I phoned Mintex and was told that there had been a manufacturing problem and it was agreed that they would send me a replacement set with an improved method of bonding. I expressed my concern about what would have happened if the friction material had detached from the back-plates after the pads had been fitted, but the Mintex spokesman wasn't particularly worried, saying that the two parts would have been securely contained within the brake calliper. Hmmm...

Archived