Whitby

armstrongpiper

armstrongpiper - 2008-10-31 11:33 AM

Does anyone know of a place to park the M/H within reasoble walking distance of Whitby (ie a mile or so)? My wife and I love to eat at the Magpie Cafe, but have always had to drive home afterwards, but now we have a M/H we fancy a walk to bed instead.

Neil B

Plenty of car parking in Whitby out of high season but I assume you wish to overnight. You can park at the abbey and walk down the steps to town. Their are a lot of carparks in the town just follow signs, most are together in one street. Enter town turn right at the sailing ship, we always park in the one on the right near Co-op where their are m\h bays and you can stay overnight.

rupert123 - 2008-10-31 12:35 PM

we always park in the one on the right near Co-op where their are m\h bays and you can stay overnight.

Have you verified that overnight stays are permitted? The information I have is that Scarborough District Council's parking regulations do not permit sleeping in vehicles.

Andy_C

Andy_C - 2008-10-31 5:14 PM

we always park in the one on the right near Co-op where their are m\h bays and you can stay overnight.

Have you verified that overnight stays are permitted? The information I have is that Scarborough District Council's parking regulations do not permit sleeping in vehicles.

Andy_C

Last time I was their it was foc from 6pm to 9am or £6 for 24 hours

rupert123 - 2008-10-31 11:20 PM

Andy_C - 2008-10-31 5:14 PM

Andy_C

Last time I was their it was foc from 6pm to 9am or £6 for 24 hours

Sounds like it's one of those car parks which doesn't display the relevant regulations. You may be able to park for 24 hours, but if the Council's Off Street Parking Regulations state 'no sleeping in vehicles' you run the risk of a fine for non-compliance.

I have to say that we have used similar places overnight and never had a problem, but it's as well to be aware of the issues.

Andy_C

we have overnight ed in 24 hr car parks at whitby lots of times .  say you are fishing if any one asks .      stopped at sands end car park also . there is a  lido on south cliff can check out that car park .there are car parks near coop try them also .

We stayed overnight at the car park next to the abbey in Whitby about 4 years ago. It was early May.

We bought a 24 hour ticket - there would not have been any stated restictions to sleeping otherwise we would not have stayed. There were quite a few cars there overnight - we parked amongst them.

I do remember that the police drove through the carpark at about 2300 hours, needless to say they did not check up on our intentions.

Cattwg :-D

armstrongpiper - 2008-10-31 11:33 AM

Does anyone know of a place to park the M/H within reasoble walking distance of Whitby (ie a mile or so)? My wife and I love to eat at the Magpie Cafe, but have always had to drive home afterwards, but now we have a M/H we fancy a walk to bed instead.

Neil B

You seem to have a few replies regarding the parking, may I slightly off thread recommend you try the Khyber restaurant just on the bend up the hill past the Magpie Cafe, best fish & chip meal we have had in many a long time in a spotlessly clean restaurant directly overlooking the sea, well worth a try and no queue, have a good stay. Carol.

Many thanks for your responses. We'll be 'giving it a go' soon. Could you please tell me where exactly is the Co-op referred to - is this the shop beside the Railway Station near the harbour?

Nice to know of an alternative place for Fish and Chips, but I'm afraid we are 'hooked' on the Magpie Cafe, as my wife is addicted to Lobster and you don't get better for this than the Magpie!

Neil B

The Co-op is the shop behind the railway station.

As regards overnighting in car parks, the Borough of Scarborough Off Street Parking Orders state that cooking, camping and overnight parking is not permitted on any of their car parks. I don't know about signage in the car parks along the marina there, as I haven't looked specifically. However, I have seen numerous signs dotted around Whitby banning overnight camping in motorhomes.

I think the car park right beside the Co-op actually belongs to the shop, rather than the council, so will, presumably, be subject to the Co-op's rules rather than the council Orders.

I think the car park at Whitby Abbey might be the property of English Heritage, If so, that would also be subject to different rules.

As mentioned by Andy, though, be sure or be prepared to move on.

Graham

Archived