FORD/DUETTO

Guest John

I am thinking of buying a second hand Ford Transit with AutoSleepers Duetto conversion. Based on secondhand prices it will be in the range of 1995 to 1999. As I intend towing with this vehicle I need to know some basic info: 1) BHP I know this depends on turbo or non turbo, can anyone tell me when Ford went turbo. 2) Unladen weight. 3) Gross train weight. 4) Maximum weight of braked trailer. Anyother information or observations with regard to towing with this vehicle would be much appreciated. I would add, that having spoken to several secondhand dealers and indeed, owners looking to sell their campers, none have been able to supply this info. I asked one person if he would give me the VIN so I could try my local Ford dealer, but he refused, I trust it is still for sale!!!!

Guest Derek Uzzell
The model of Duetto you are interested in was built on a RWD lwb chassis with a 2.5 litre diesel engine that was used in Transits from the mid-late 1980s, initially in normally aspirated form. I can't tell you exactly when Ford introduced a turbo-charged variant, but it was certainly available in 1995, producing 100PS@4000rpm and 220Nm@2100rpm. A more powerful version was introduced around 1999 (not long before the current shape Transit was released). This was intercooled with 115PS and its presence can be deduced by the vehicle having a small triangular intake grille towards the top of one of the front wings. (However, I'm doubtful that Auto-Sleepers ever built Duetto with the 115PS motor.) I believe the 100PS motor can be 'Superchipped' to around 130PS (with a proportionate hike in torque) if you felt so inclined. The normally aspirated motor continued to be available right up to 2000, when New Transit came in with completely different 2.4 litre, all-turbo, Duratorq diesels. I think normally aspirated motors produced from 68 to 76PS (depending on the year) and, to begin with, if a buyer wanted an automatic gearbox, this was the only power-plant offered. Although the automatic 'box has something of a reputation for fragility, this hasn't stopped motorhome owners from having turbo motor-conversions carried out (usually by TB Turbo). Turbo retro-fits are also not that uncommon on Transit-based motorhomes with the normally aspirated motor/manual gearbox combination. Around 1997 Ford began to offer a 85PS turbo/auto-box option. As far as I'm aware the Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of Duetto was 3300kg (though this may possibly have risen to 3500kg for very late models). Not sure about the Gross Train Mass (GTM) - I think with the 100bhp motor it was 5000kg. I don't know what the mass-in-running-order of a Duetto was, but I'd guess at 2700kg with tanks full and two people on board. No idea about the braked trailer limit. I'm startled that Duetto vendors haven't been able to supply you with at least some of the data you want, as MAM, GTM and maximum permissible axle-weights are clearly stated on the VIN plate found in the Transit's passenger-side foot-well. The Transit's VIN number is repeated on the dashboard top and can be read through the windscreen. So, if you can spot a lwb Transit panel-van of roughly the right year and with the right specification (or indeed a Duetto on someone's drive or a dealer's forecourt), you could discreetly 'borrow' its VIN number to get weight info from a Ford dealer. However, Ford dealers won't be able to give you useful details about a Duetto's mass-in-running-order as the add-on weight of Auto-Sleepers' conversion won't be known to them. If you need that information I suggest you write to Auto-Sleepers, or you may find it within the Duetto reports published by MMM (see June 2005 issue for list). The appropriate Haynes manual may also be useful. Assuming you don't intend to tow something unusually heavy (like a traction engine!) I can't see why you should have any problems with a Duetto provided that you opt for the turbocharged motor.

Guest John Davis
Hi Derek, thanks for the info. it has filled in a lot of the blanks. To Roger, I sent an email to AutoSleepers, after about a week without reply, I phoned them and spoke to someone in service dept. the only info he was able to give that he seemed certain about was the overall length of 5.42metres. As I will be towing either our 20ft twin axle caravan gross 1600kgs or my 4x4 off road competion car at gross 1900kgs, I need to be sure of the figures. Like you I thought AutoSleepers would order a fairly standard spec. each time from the factory so the figures I require would be common knowledge to at least one member of staff, I obviously need to find that person. Thanks again.

Guest Derek Uzzell
PS or Pferdestaerke is the Metric Horsepower. 1PS = 75 kgm/s. 1 Brake Horse Power (BHP) = 76.0398 kgm/s. So one PS is about 98.6% of one bhp, hence 100PS = 98.6bhp. (Brought to you by the wonder of GOOGLE searching.)

Many thanks Derek. I always thought the metric loons wanted us to define the power of our engines in kilowatts. Or is this the Germans getting some fresh revenge for the Treaty of Versailles?

Guest Derek Uzzell
I've just looked at a couple of my Ford Transit brochures. The UK one gives motor details using PS, kW and Nm, while the French one uses "ch" (chevaux), kW and Nm. Each French "ch" datum equates exactly to the UK PS figure for the same motor, so it's reasonable to assume that a French 'horse' and a PS are the same. I suspect people who talk casually about motors (like the Top Gear team) use PS and bhp as synonyms and (if they actually knew there was a difference!) would prefer PS, as it's a slightly smaller unit and thus gives the impression a motor has more power. Doubt if anyone except the engineers thinks in kWs and (as they make an engine's output seem puny compared with bhp or PS) the unit will never come up in lads-in-the-pub "I've got a big motor" conversations. MMM occasionally uses bhp when PS would be correct, but I don't know if that's due to deliberate dumbing down or just inexactitude. www.citroen.co.uk/conversion is a useful website if you want to spend a few happy hours converting one unit of measurement to another.

FORD/DUETTO(1) — John — 08/12/2005 19:09:53 I am thinking of buying a second hand Ford Transit with AutoSleepers Duetto .....I need to know some basic info: 1) BHP I know this depends on turbo or non turbo, can anyone tell me when Ford went turbo. 2) Unladen weight. 3) Gross train weight. 4) Maximum weight of braked trailer. Anyother information or observations with regard to towing with this vehicle would be much appreciated. ------------------------------------- I have a Duetto TD 1998. Output is indeed 100 HP at 4000. Gross Train Weight is 4650Kg (4300-non turbo)and max braked trailer weight is 1750 Kg (1400 nt). MAM=2900 Payload=361. All this from Duetto handbook. As a towing vehicle the tranny is superb. Even with a big van on you only notice it on steep hills etc from the weight. The later vans post 2000 are not as highly regarded especially in the engine department and expect to pay £20,000 for a '99 low milage Turbo Duetto.

Archived