Burstner owners very important info

Brian Peters

Ive just received a worrying letter from Burstner concerning my motorhome windows, i own a 2005 Burstner t-star 710 on a mercedes base. The problem seems to be with the bonding material used to secure these windows together.

The manufacturers (polyplastics BV) state that during tests they found that uv exsposure may loosen the bond and the windows could virtually fall apart during driving.

It is that serious that if i use the motorhome between now and when the windows are made good,i have been advised to fix surrounds of windows together with strong duct tape. If you notice that the bond between the lites of your windows is loosening contact your nearest Burstner dealership now. The repair is a mechanical one using a specially developed screwing system and will be carried out free of charge at Burstner dealerships.The affected vehicles are both Burstner motorhomes and caravans manufactured between 1998 and 2005.

Check out website www.polyplastic-pass.nl., or phone polyplastic on +44 (0) 128 358 60 60. if you have any concerns.Have your chassis number at hand.

Regards Brian.

Although this 'check-your-windows' safety exercise seems to relate only to Burstner leisure vehicles fitted with Polyplastic products, it does make me wonder why this is the only motorhome/caravan manufacturer apparently involved.

Windows made by Polyplastic have been (and continue to be) chosen by many motorhome and caravan builders - my Hobby has them - and one might logically expect the separation problem to relate to Polyplastic windows generally rather than just to the Polyplastic windows that have been fitted to Burstners. I could understand this would not be the case if the Polyplastic windows on Burstner vehicles had been unique to that marque, but I doubt that was so.

I have just imported a 2003 model T605 Privelege only put the plates on last friday.In the post arrives a letter from France with the info sohave to get it sorted.

Thanks for the info Brian as it is good conformation.I will need to get it done next February as I am away for the winter down under and am putting the van in storage to-morrow Monday.

John Dicks

• 8 months later...

As you know Polyplastic and Burstner put out a window recall earlier this year.

The proposed repair unfortunately does not work as the mechanical seal which the double glazing is reliant on is compromised.

In addition the screen print which is the cause of the fault is breaking up and leaving deposits in the double glazing void.

Worst case scenario will be eventual water building up in the cavity.

This will make any resale impossible.

I have requested that Burstner replace windows free of charge and will pursue a legal case if they fail to replace.

Contact at Burstner is Frederic Schmaltz email schmaltz@buerstner.com

Direct tel no 0049785185154

He is a hard man to track down but if you email enough he will reply

Hi, After a lot of 2ing & throwing, with E mails to Burstner and polyplastic, I eventually got my windows replaced at 65% discount through Southdowns at Portsmouth, who although not the supplying dealer, pulled all the stops out for me. It was a hard slog but worth it in the end. I wish you luck with your endevours. Now to sort out all the other problems !!! *-)

Archived