Gas Bottles for Chausson

Petra

We recently bought a new Chausson Flash 08 and in the brochure it clearly stated that it takes 2 13kg bottles of gas. No way can we get 2 13kg bottles in the gas locker. Has anybody else had this problem or are French bottles smaller than Calor bottles?

Petra:

Yes, the standard steel 13kg French gas-bottle is smaller than the equivalent size Calor container.

The Caravan Club's handbook (page 627 in 2007/2008 issue) gives the dimensions of a 13kg(propane) Calor canister as 315mm(diameter) and 580mm(height). I've found a reference in my files that suggests that a French 13kg container is 300mm(diameter) and 560cm(height). I'm not certain that the latter figures are 100% accurate and I think the French bottles may go up to (but definitely not exceed) 310mm(diameter) and 580mm(height).

Either way, there's no doubt that the 13kg Calor bottle is 'fatter' than a 13kg French one, and, if a motorhome's gas-locker has been sized so that 2 x 13kg French bottles can only just be shoe-horned in, then the Calor container's extra few millimetres of diameter may prove to be a show-stopper. C'est la vie I'm afraid.

If you want to maximise the amount of LPG your Chausson can carry using UK exchange-only bottles, then you could try using Flogas rather than Calor as (according to the CC handbook) the former company's 11kg(propane) bottle's dimensions are 310mm(diameter) and 560mm(height). On that basis, your motorhome SHOULD be capable of accommodating 2 x 11kg Flogas bottles, but you'd need to confirm this by experimentation to be absolutely sure.

Obviously you could go down the refillable LPG container (bottle or tank) route, but that's not what you asked about.

I believe that confusion arises here because you are assuming the reference is to Calor's 13 Kg Propane, whereas it is almost certain that Chausson are talking about the continental 13 kg Butane bottles. I have the same problem with my Hymer.

I use Handygas [a BP company] 11kg Propane/13Kg Butane, bottles that are 305 mm diameter, in my case these fit, where the dumpier, bigger capacity Calor do not.

Petra

You don't say if the problem is just with the second Calor cylinder, but I assume it must be.  In which case, on your way home, why not try to see if a French cylinder will fit alongside the Calor? 

Butagaz is widely available: most supermarkets will stock it.  It is available propane (blue/silver cylinders) of butane (blue cylinders) and is cheaper than Calor. 

Since you obviously travel abroad, and most journeys start/end in France, getting replacement cylinders presents no problem and, if you keep the Calor cylinder, you can swap that when at home. 

13Kg should keep you going for quite a while, so managing which is the "duty" and which the "reserve" cylinder shouldn't be too difficult. 

You'll need a new pigtail for the French propane connection, but it is the same as the UK butane connection, so easily available either side of the ditch.

Works for us!

Thanks everyone for the replies and info. We thought it might be something to do with the different types of bottles. We had thought about refillable but as there is no LPG in Greece decided it would not be appropriate considering the cost involved.

Wasn't it once possible to get exchange-only gas bottles refilled in Greece?

I'm sure I remember reading a letter in a French magazine from a motorcaravanner who had had this done and had subsequently become concerned about what had been put in his bottles. The magazine reply was "If you can't be sure what's in them, then don't use them" - which I would have thought blindingly obvious.

Guest Tracker
Brian Kirby - 2008-11-02 12:01 PM

Petra

You don't say if the problem is just with the second Calor cylinder, but I assume it must be. In which case, on your way home, why not try to see if a French cylinder will fit alongside the Calor?

Butagaz is widely available: most supermarkets will stock it. It is available propane (blue/silver cylinders) of butane (blue cylinders) and is cheaper than Calor.

Since you obviously travel abroad, and most journeys start/end in France, getting replacement cylinders presents no problem and, if you keep the Calor cylinder, you can swap that when at home.

13Kg should keep you going for quite a while, so managing which is the "duty" and which the "reserve" cylinder shouldn't be too difficult.

You'll need a new pigtail for the French propane connection, but it is the same as the UK butane connection, so easily available either side of the ditch.

Works for us!

BrianYour solution sounds like the simple but effective answer that we have been seeking, so could you advise the size and capacity of the French Butagaz bottles that you use please so that I can check my locker before charging into France with just one gas bottle! I already have a UK butane pigtail and I just need to sure that it will reach from the Butagaz bottle to bulkhead regulator.Many thanks.Rich.

Rich

So far as I can measure the Butagaz 13Kg cylinder, it is 590mm high with its protectice collar on, and 580 to the top of the valve (unlke the Calor cylinder, the protective collar round the valve unscrews) and is about 315mm diameter.  It is out of the van, which helps, but large, heavy, cylinders are not that easy to measure accurately!  I think the only way to be certain will be to try one.

Guest Tracker
Brian Kirby - 2008-11-03 5:15 PM

Rich

So far as I can measure the Butagaz 13Kg cylinder, it is 590mm high with its protectice collar on, and 580 to the top of the valve (unlke the Calor cylinder, the protective collar round the valve unscrews) and is about 315mm diameter. It is out of the van, which helps, but large, heavy, cylinders are not that easy to measure accurately! I think the only way to be certain will be to try one.

Many thanks Brian - at 315mm diameter it will be too big so I think I better think it out again! Oh bu##er! Many thanks for your help.Rich.

Petra, we have a chausson allegro and cannot get 2 large calor gas bottles in BUT...................... we can get one 13kg calor and one 13kg (or 11kg not sure) flo gas container in together. This was great this summer going to europe for 5 weeks as we did not run out.

Obviously you fill up flo gas at a local dealer and not on campsites but it makes sense to use this when on long trips.

When off on short jaunts we use a calor 7kg (or 6) as this then gives us room for storing hosepipe, electric cable etc so gives a bit more room

Hope this helps

Chris

Thanks Chris for info re Flogas, are these the exchangeable UK ones?

At the moment we have a 13kg and a 6kg Calor but are not sure how long they will last. Sounds like the French option may be the best idea and maybe use a Greek bottle whilst we are in Greece.

Check out your local gas dealer.(Dont know if there is one in Crete if that is where you are?) We have a delivery system here and can be delivered to door which is great. He does flogas and calor and both are exchangeable. He will even swap calor for flogas too.

Best option for us as we lasted 38 days in the summer and still got the last bottle being used now after 7 further nights away so not bad.

chris

Archived