Xmas 2008 & Winterising

wee_squaw

Newish/inexperienced motorhomer and new to this forum site..so pls excuse... :)

Looking for suggestions on where to spend Xmas in our Swift Kontiki L. We always seem to end up around Chamonix - which is so...well...non-exciting..although I always love the scenery down there..it's about as British as you find!! We want to be somewhere scenic, cultural and well...different!! Not totally, utterly cut off though as we'll have our 7 month old baby with us!!

Also, when people talk about winterising their motorhome? Wouldn't our van already be winterised to an extent?? (W Reg) Not sure what context others are talking about this in....We don't have external blinds for example - but have inside ones - which appear to be the heat-relective/insulate type - how do we know???

HELP< HELP, HELP...it's all so overwhelming...

Also, how can we find out which mountain passes are open?? Whilst we are still here in uk??

xx

THANK YOU!!!!

Hi wee Squaw welcome.

Suggest you invest in external blinds they are much better in cold climates and stop any condensation almost 100%. If you have external under slung water tanks, also suggest you lag them with a product called "selotex" used in the building trade to insulate walls. Selotex is very light and can normally be stuck on the tanks with "no more nails" or the like.

Hope this helps

Paul and Ann

HI wee Squaw,

Most of your questions,if not all, can be answered by going to the following sites.

a) 'Motorhome meets skiing' which is damned good, as a lot of people have contributed their knowledge to it and b) 'Motorhome list' This webbsite seems to deal with quite a few things. If you go into the home page. Select 'travel info site listings' and then select 'winter skiing' you will get a really comprehensive breakdown of winterisation plus campsites and Aires and other bits of information.

Hope this helps but you have not got a fully winterised van. The british don't seem to make them especially outside watertanks. The underslung waste water is no problem. Leave the outlet tap open all the time and put a bucket or plastic container under it so your waste water just drains into it. You then tip it out. If it freezes up, turn it upside down and give it a bang on its bottom and a giant lollypop will drop out.

We have been Motorhoming in the Alps during winter for about 7 years with a variety of vans and thoroughly enjoyed it. More information can be found on 'Motorhome Facts'. Scroll down until you find a section on sports ( motorcross and skiing. Click on Skiing and you will find all us 'Nerds ' on there. You will also find some links to some Bloggs which are also quite informative. You will have ten free shots at interaction after that you will have to subscribe which is £10-00 and a better value for money your unlikely to get.

Any questions email me: geminiandrew32@ntlworld.com and I will be pleased to answer them

Cheers! Keep em waxed............. Ned (lol) (lol)

wee_squaw - 2008-11-02 5:44 PM

Newish/inexperienced motorhomer and new to this forum site..so pls excuse... :)

Looking for suggestions on where to spend Xmas in our Swift Kontiki L. We always seem to end up around Chamonix - which is so...well...non-exciting..although I always love the scenery down there..it's about as British as you find!! We want to be somewhere scenic, cultural and well...different!! Not totally, utterly cut off though as we'll have our 7 month old baby with us!!

Also, when people talk about winterising their motorhome? Wouldn't our van already be winterised to an extent?? (W Reg) Not sure what context others are talking about this in....We don't have external blinds for example - but have inside ones - which appear to be the heat-relective/insulate type - how do we know???

HELP< HELP, HELP...it's all so overwhelming...

Also, how can we find out which mountain passes are open?? Whilst we are still here in uk??

xx

THANK YOU!!!!

No suggestions as to where to go as I to always go to the Chamonix area, however the caravan club sites books list all the opening times for the passes. These are not 100% accurate but will give you a good idea. In the alps if a pass is over around 1700 mtrs expect it to be closed until around mid April.

Hi ,

Hows about a site with the village right on your door step .

You need to try Prolognan La Vanoise . All I can say is it was magical, all the local facilities at your finger tips. Hot bread delivered to your van door as the other suggest's try Batch's website and look it up . Once you google the places you can see and add your name to the local snow dump alerts which also keep you updated with the lift opening dates .

Christmas was magical with a march to the church through the village with the carol singers & hot mince pies Mary & Jospeh & the donkey .

We have young Children and we had a fantastic time to be honest I wished we were going back this year . Don't forget to take in the Ice rink just for fun Or the Dog Sleigh rides Mushing . Good luck and have a wonderful time. :D

We made it in Bessacar so Iam sure your Kontiki will do it .

Hi Michele

This sounds fabulous!! Can you tell me which site it was that you stayed? I haven't found much info on the net really for this village - so anything else you wanna throw in would be much appreciated!! I did find a campsite on the net and sent an email off to them - but it didn't look like they were open over the Xmas period...so...hmmm.....

So many books, guides etc. etc. what do folk's recommend as the best guide - bear in mind - we have no French at all - but will be getting a little phrase book for starters...

Vicarious books do various guides - but there are a few different ones? Which one do we go for?

Also - do people recommend joining French Passion - I assume you have to buy the guide book - which also gets you your sticker pass?? Are many of these places open over the winter period - specifically dec/jan?

Sorry if these are daft questions!

Cheers for your help!

Michelle

Hi wee Squaw try kevs site and have a look at where we went .

Prolognan La Vanosie Le Parc Isertan .

It was wonderful also have a look at panaghma's blog on his he went to the same place with his wife and children just as we left they arrived . He has done a wonderful Blogg worth reading .

I do think that Paul is back this year I am sure he mentioned it .

New User

. Anyone else with any info or updates from any ski resort please send it to me. You will be credited!! The site has had over 6300 hits now. Please have a look

-----

http://web.mac.com/kevbatchelor/Ski_Motorhome/Welcome.html

Ps thats my van on the piccy ..with the snow chains on .we throughly enjoyed it and would go back again I didnt want to leave it was so magical.

Archived