First trip away with the electric bike

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

First trip away with the electric bike, and we had a nice weekend in France.

We stayed at city de Europe on the Friday night jsut did some shopping and had a meal and a drink... then on Saturday down to Valarie sur Somme. Saturday was a lovely day and it is a pretty town, we stopped on the Aire and cycled down into town and around...very pleasant. Sunday, up to le Toquet and weather was dire, we cycled into town and had a lovely lunch and got drenched cycling back! All part of the fun lol

Monday weather was much better and a walk on the dunes next to the Aire then back up to Calais for some shopping before returning.

My wife is not convinced that she needs an electric bike. I believe she does, as she found it difficult to keep up especially on hills, as I made good progress and she had to get off and walk. She is a little intimidated by the weight and the controls......but its early days and I just need to find her a bike she likes, my Wisper is not right for her. That’s the whole idea of electric bikes they flatten out the hills and make riding more enjoyable. Down side, they are heavy, expensive and need charging but IMO cheaper and less hassle then a tow car!

I used power only when needed, and I am not wasteful . I turn of the electric assistance on the flat and downhill, and just use the gears. A full charge is probably enough for 30-40 miles so more than enough for a long weekend for us. My wife is not overweight and is younger & fitter then me so I may go for an electric kit which can be fitted to a step through style bike that she likes.... there are a few kits to choose from.

Have had the bike a month, and I have been using the bike locally for a bit of shopping and general exercise, as you are still getting aerobic exercise as you pedal as long as you don’t use the throttle to much lol. So I think a pair of these in the motorhome garage will be enough for our needs and make a tow car unnecessary as that was my idea.......

The summer will be the real test, but as we stay mainly on sites then charging will not be an issue. But those Italian hills will be a challenge......can see how people become a bit evangelical regards cycling as you do feel a bit guilty using the car :-D

1827916284_DSC06031(2).jpg.049e1370de33e3391a6b303bbd625f18.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
Way2Go - 2008-11-03 4:32 PM

Good report Judge and I must say I'm tempted judging (no pun intended) by the trouble I have with my knees.

Which one did you go for?

W2G

Exactly why I went for one... I have trouble with my hip and knee, to such an extent that my summer trip to Italy was ruined as walking becomes so painful *-)I went for a wisper 905 SE. http://www.wisper-bikes.co.uk/mainly because of my weight *-) I need a powerful bike lol. but there are others I would recommend as well. They are heavy! so a garage is useful as will be difficult to put on a bike rack....

I can quite see why you went for the electric bike judge, but I'm with mrs. judge on this and I don't think you should buy one until it's really necessary.

Having just bought a new bike myself, with plenty of gears, I find I have less pain in the knees with the extra exercise.

It's a case of "use it or lose it" where muscles are concerned.

Happy biking !

;-)

Guest JudgeMental
malc d - 2008-11-03 5:06 PM

I can quite see why you went for the electric bike judge, but I'm with mrs. judge on this and I don't think you should buy one until it's really necessary.

Having just bought a new bike myself, with plenty of gears, I find I have less pain in the knees with the extra exercise.

It's a case of "use it or lose it" where muscles are concerned.

Happy biking !

;-)

Thats the thing you are still using it! lol it just takes the hard work out of it, and makes for a more enjoyable cycling experience :-D

After a lifetime of cycling we also went for electric bikes last year. The thing about the 'assist' type is that you DO still use your muscles and get a good work out to the extent that you want. I no longer enjoy the effort of grinding up 6000ft passes, but I do electric assisted and thats the difference as far as I'm concerned.

We've mounted ours on a Thule towbar mounted rack which is low down and overcomes the weight problem of the bikes and also keeps the weight low for the van.

Eddie - if your wife is against electric bikes I think she might change her mind if you take advantage of some great routes around the Interlaken area next year as planned.

IMG_1491.jpg.6e553395419abbf9b6c351cfde6927f1.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
ron. - 2008-11-03 5:29 PM

After a lifetime of cycling we also went for electric bikes last year. The thing about the 'assist' type is that you DO still use your muscles and get a good work out to the extent that you want. I no longer enjoy the effort of grinding up 6000ft passes, but I do electric assisted and thats the difference as far as I'm concerned.

We've mounted ours on a Thule towbar mounted rack which is low down and overcomes the weight problem of the bikes and also keeps the weight low for the van.

Eddie - if your wife is against electric bikes I think she might change her mind if you take advantage of some great routes around the Interlaken area next year as planned.

Yes Ron, I am feed up of waiting around for her! lol. Looking forward to Interlaken next year on our way to Italy...what bikes did you go for?

We went for a couple of Schwinn Streamlines. A bit costly but very well built (it will see me out if the electrics stand up!) and only 20kg with battery. Battery range is subjective of course as no two people will ride the same, weigh the same, or cover the same terrain. I've seen 40 - 60 miles so far without running dry, depending on the going, including steep enough to have to get off. All in all we are well pleased with them.

Hi Judge & Ron, have to agree the best thing we have ever done getting the assist bikes use them as normal when you want then when you feel like a bit of magic press the switch and off you go, we had the giant lafree for 5 years then last year changed them for Scwinn Streamline the same as Ron, did over 200 miles up hill and down dale in Scotland this year and in the past 12 months Ed has done 850 miles on his and I have done 600 on mine, no way would I have seen so much beautiful scenery without the bikes, I believe Giant are just bringing new assist bikes out about £600 so well priced. Certainly would not be without ours.

1792988713_SEPT07027.jpg.7cef10b0a6636774b516156ed5002a06.jpg

Guest JudgeMental

A new Giant for £600...are you sure? as the new range seem to start at £900 for single battery models up to approx £1500?

a link would be nice or a PM :-D

To users of electric bikes.

BEWARE of traffic coming out of side roads !!!! You pose a different view to the motorist !!!!

Using an electric cycle represents you as (1) a cyclist 'free wheeling' and assumed to be going slow or stopping, when in fact (2) you may be going 20mph and NOT STOPPING.

The motorist assuming you are as (1) may oull out thinking there is plenty of time when (2) 'WOLLOP' a colliision.

Don't say never. It almost happened to me !!!!

The lady who shot passed me while I was waiting at a turning was really going some and she was free wheeling as she had been for a hundred yards, thats what nearly caught me out, I didn't expect her to be any where near as I began to move out.

Archived