touring europe

Guest gordon frost

Guest gordon frost
hican anybody give me advice, this will be my first time touring in a motorhome,i dont want to go into it blindfolded but i am also game for any thing but dont want to get stuck,any touring routes will help,im thinking of going for 3 months,i have 2 dog they are in the process of getting there jabs.thank you gordon.ps have a nice xmas

Hi Gordon, I am sure you will get heaps of suggestions, offers of books, guides etc. But all I would say is take your plastic, a little cash, book the ferry and nothing else. Then follow your nose wherever you want. Village Municipal cam sites are normally very good in France, overnight "wild" camping is also legal in France, not so in Portugal though. If you do wild camp then "park where there are people" was the advice given to us by a French policeman. There is much to enjoy and in all honesty very little to fear. Personally we keep away from big towns and autoroutes but whatever is your poison - go and enjoy. Good luck Clive

Guest Nick Miller
Firstly Gordon make sure the van and appliances are fully serviced.Then check you and the van are insured for most eventualities.I never bother with dog's insurance. Purchase Caravan Club's European Camp site guides and an Aires directory.(Parking for Motorhomes) Book the ferry.Thats all. You will gradually learn,get into scrapes and messes but thats life.Go at your own or the dogs' speed.Europeans admire well behaved dogs. I have singlehanded in France for years the last five?? with the dog.Then there were no websites to guide you.As a solitary i have to think learning to do things in your own way is best. Off you go and best of luck...........Nick

Clive and Nick are right - go where the mood takes you. One of the beauties of motorhoming is that you can spend real time getting to know somewhere instead of being just a tourist. Insurance-wise, get the new E111 (European Health Card) which gives you treatment at local rates anywhere in the EU and, most important, do whatever is necessary to ensure the house you leave behind is covered: most insurers only allow you a month away at a time before they lapse the policy.

Guest Brian Kirby
Also check your buildings and contents insurances and make certain that they cover you for absences of up to 90 days. Some don't! If necessary, buy extended cover or change insurer! Regards Brian

Guest Derek Uzzell
On the subject of spending-money, you might consider getting a Nationwide "Flexaccount" bank account (with associated debit card) and pre-load it with a good helping of dosh before you go abroad. This account won't earn you much interest (unless you deposit a fair sized amount on a monthly basis): it's main merit is that Euro cash withdrawals from EC ATMs via the Flexaccount debit card are completely free of charge. As far as I'm aware this is unique - other debit or credit cards charge fees and/or interest ranging from a fair bit to a helluva lot. If you do intend to use credit cards during your 3 months trip, you may need to consider how best to pay the credit card bills that will be arriving on your UK door-step while you are away (direct debit is probably the simplest option). You may also need to think about how you will manage for gas while abroad (see my "Gas in Europe" posting two above this one).

We use "Camping Cheques" buy before you go Spain is popular in winter with most Europeans When there talk to the others - you will get advice on sites & where to avoid & loads more Euro's from the post office has no comission & they buy back at the rate you paid We also use a Cavravan Club credit card - no commission Gas is a problem in that they dony use the same bottles or regulators - each country is different Go to www.motorhomefacts.com You will get much more info - search their back posts - its all been covered

We used the ACSI camping card a lot whilst away this year in June - you can use it at campsites displaying their logo at anytime except during the 'peak' holiday period. You pay either 14, 12 or 10 euros a night for a motorhome & 2 adults and dogs including electric and access to all facilities. In the peak season (later on in August) some of them still gave us a discount anyway. At some other campsites where it's not accepted as 'full payment' (ones that aren't listed in their guide) we found that many of them still gave us a healthy discount when we showed them the card. We found the ACSI scheme much more cost effective than Camping Cheques which cost around 15 euros each (9.95 I think) which is more than the most expensive ACSI campsite! Also, you don't have to lay out any money in advance except to buy the card and guide - at £4.50 + £1.25 p&p you can't go wrong. Have a look at their website for full details: www.campingcard.co.uk

Gordon MelE's note is very important; from Jan 1 2006 the new European Health Card is the only "NHS" certificate accepted in Europe. All previous schemes will expire on that day. Regards Neal

Guest Pat Price
Don't forget that you cannot bring the dogs back until 6 months after they passed the post vaccination blood test. Have a great time!

Archived