Spain 1st time queries

LordThornber

Hi,

You can catch a bus outside the site which will take you into the heart of San Sebastian, there really is a lot to see and well worth a visit you will need at least a couple of days, Friday and Saturday early evenings are the best in the old quarter as all of the bars have tapas and everyone appears to keep moving from one to the other really nice atmosphere.

If you do find the time i would be suprised if you don'e enjoy yourselves

LordThornber - 2008-11-06 10:28 AM

Cheers Braunston, just a had a quick look, another one for the notebook!

Martyn

Guest Tracker
derek500 - 2008-11-04 3:42 PM

http://www.lapaca.org/areas/espana.php

A very interesting link - does anyone who understands Spanish know whether there is an English version of the website and whether the information is available in either book or cd format for use without a computer or when there is no wifi link please?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really excited for you - my first time was only 3 years ago and I remember it fondly. Someone has already mentioned San Vicente de la Barquera - its a lovely town and the campsite is almost on the beach but it does get a little noisy (the Spanish generally are quite noisy campers) but very friendly. We stayed 4 days in August 2007 and they were just upgrading one of their shower blocks. However, I recommend Comillas as another pretty town with a great beach and a couple of campsites - one on the edge of town with a sea view and one in a nearby village.

Try the website www.campingsonline.com or you can just type camping Comillas into google as a search and you get quite a lot of campsites appear.

Have a great time.

Tracker -

So far as I'm aware, there's no English version of this website.

That old faithful, "Babelfish" might help you if you are not sure what it says about an individual site....cut and paste the text into Babelfish and select "Spanish to English", but be aware that whilst it does it's best, the translation will be rough, and often amusing!

It may also be worth giving the site a quick phone call too....some of them do have English speaking staff in Reception.

Sorry, that's all I can think of

Martyn, to add to Colin's list I read somewhere that the Gardia wait the other side of tunnels for the unsuspecting GB tourist because it is obligatory to put headlights on even where there are no signs.

Also I went to the Picos area 15 years ago - spectacular scenery but dreadful roads away from the main ones. I was only in a car but for the only time in my life I bottled out of one journey - single track, log and very steep drops, few and far between passing places and coaches belting up the mountain without any consideration for other users.

It is a real pleasure Martyn - what a courteous and charming person you are. I have been busy "free cycling" lots of good quality things (having to downsize) and am struck by the utter ignorance and bad manners of many of the beneficiaries. Some are as polite as you but too often no "please" or "thank you" and often they do not turn up when I have waited in for them. The most polite of all so far has been an Eastern European who was charming and so grateful.

Anyway, that off my chest, I hope you have a lovely time Martyn and Andrea - enjoy your planning which to me is half the fun.

Patricia, thankyou for your kind words, how generous of you. Yes I agree with you, lots of fun in the planning, we're realy looking forward to it.

Courtesy? Well I try to work on the treat others as I'd like to be treated basis, i.e. politely. It costs nothing and it's nice to be nice. Although reading some of the threads on here...

Good luck with the freecycling/downsizing - less is more I say.

Martyn

• 4 weeks later...

Martyn - I have found this thread useful myself now as my daughter (who I usually go on holiday with in the summer) is thinking of this area for next July. I had forgotten the thread's title but fortunately Michael "spospe" did, so many thanks to him. He also suggested these following threads but I haven't had time to look at them yet:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13646&start=1

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13635&start=1

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13507&posts=23

I think, as it's Spain we're on about, you meant to say "Feliz Navidad" Martyn :-D

Just a by-the-way:

I've never ever heard of anyone being nicked by the Guardia or Polica Trafico sitting at the exit to a road tunnel and pulling in vehicles for not having their headlights on.

I'm not saying it's never happened (it's impossible to rpove a negative), but I've never heard of it here, and I cannot recall ever seeing Guardia at tunnel exits.

Having said that, always turn on your headlights when entering a tunnel....it's the law here, and there's always a big sign just at the tunnel entrance reminding you to do so.

Feliz navidad a todos!

Archived