Gas in Europe comments

Guest Derek Uzzell

Guest Derek Uzzell
I'm just about to add a "Gas in europe" posting to the forum. This topic would be best dealt with in a FAQ section but, as we haven't got one, all I can suggest is that I try to lash together something that covers the major points and that can be resurrected and edited if anything new comes up. If you spot anything incorrect or misleading, or you think I've missed out something vital, now is your chance to say.

Hi Derek Many thanks for your most interesting and helpful posting on this subject. I'm sure many people will find it useful. One question: am I right in thinking that if you have to change regulators (Old System) all that is involved is slacking off a jubilee clip removing the old regulator, inserting the new one and re-tightening the jubilee clip? Is more involved? (One obvious possibility is that different types of regulators might have different diameter outlet pipes.)

Guest Derek Uzzell
Good question! I admit to never having tried to attach a French regulator to a UK flexible hose, but I'd always assumed (on appearance alone) that there should be no problems. Referring to my French accessory brochures it appears that French low-pressure flexible hose has an internal diameter of 8mm and the standard 'nozzle' is designed to match this. 8mm is also the internal diameter of the hose on my UK Superser LPG-fuelled room heater, which suggests the possibility of an international metric standardisation. Anyway, I'm pretty confident you can just remove a UK regulator and replace it with a French one in the manner you describe. (Don't know about other people, but I've always had to cut regulators off their hoses to change them as the nozzle seems almost to weld itself to the hose.)

Can confirm that the regultors on the French cube, camping gas and 4.5Kg calor butane and propane have the same size connector and are all interchangeable on the same hose. We have been using this combination for several years.

Archived