spain or similar off-season

cruiser

Hi all....

Just thinking ahead to the possibility of heading from Ireland to warmer climes for three or four weeks after Christmas....Jan or Feb. It's just an idea at the moment but I thought I'd throw it out there for any advice or comments. i.e.would it be cheaper to ferry to the uk and then tunnel it to France etc and also where is it warm at that time of year...Spain or South of France....all replies welcome!

A couple of thoughts about Spain, as we live here, which might help to shape your thinking:

Spain is a BIG country. Bigger than France. The climate varies a LOT depending on where you are.

In Jan and Feb, the warm bits are the East coast (Costa Blanca and surrounds) and South coast (Costa del Sol/Andalucia).

If you're looking for sunshine/warm weather, then you'll need to get yourself down through Spain to either of these regions.The North and North West of Spain is generally pretty wet and cold in the winter, and the middle of Spain (Madrid and surrounds) gets VERY cold indeed.

But don't think that you have to hug the coast on the Costas....the towns, cities, villages and countryside inland from them is simply fantastic.

And the roads are almost without excpetion extremely good indeed, and very uncrowded at that time of year.

If you're in no rush, try to avoid too much motorway travel (especially on the toll sections, which can get pretty expensive) and try to travel on "N" raods (national roads, similar to A roads in the UK). You'll see far far more, the cost of fuel and food etc is a lot cheaper, and you can stop wherever you like.

Spain is not as well served for campings sites inland as say the UK of France. Also many of them are shut through the winter, except on the busier (and nowadays generally built-up) coastal stretches. If you're feeling brave though, do what we do most of the time when we are touring around Spain inland, and simply wild-camp overnight. Even in towns and villages we've never yet had any problems with just parking up overnight.

The "ASCI" card is very useful here - loads of camping sites take it, and give you overnight stays for either 12,12, or 14 euros. The new 2009 one starts from out in January; and the book of sites that comes with it is very good.

Fags, booze, food and fuel are all a lot cheaper than in the UK; and the people are incredibly friendly, if you make any sort of effort to integrate, even just by smailing and saying "hola".

Try it.....we love it!!

BGD - 2008-11-05 11:02 PM A couple of thoughts about Spain, as we live here, which might help to shape your thinking: Spain is a BIG country. Bigger than France.

Now, now, Brucey, don't get carried away!  According to my Michelin Europe Road Atlas (which couldn't be biased, could it :-)) France is 543,965 Sq Km whereas Spain is 504,790 Sq Km.

I agree with all the rest, though.

As an aid to planning, if you land-bridge through UK via the tunnel, using motorway all the way, Dublin to Cadiz is a bit under 1770 miles (according to Autoroute).  Say 3250 miles round trip.  That's quite a lot of miles for 3 weeks, so I'd suggest planning for 4 if you can.

We moved out here in 1986 and have seen some very bad weather in Jan and Feb but it is winter out here and normally nice and sunny. It can be cool at night so be prepaired for that, if you make it down here.

Fuel is much cheaper than the uk, and even better in Gibraltar. Today diesel was 72 pence a litre and here in Spain just about 1 euro. As said earlier the roads are great but some of the campgrounds are not open in winter. It is a long drive so try to make it 4 weeks

Have fun, Sooty.

Brian Kirby - 2008-11-06 11:39 PM
BGD - 2008-11-06 9:21 PM Brian - but more of France is under water at any given time....... :D :D

Indubitably, but then, it stays green for longer. ;-)

Aaah - so you're including peat bog, swamp, lakes, rivers, pools, streams, rivulets, puddles, canals and marshland Brian...... B-) In which case I submit also the two North African territories of Spain, and the Canary and Med island groups too...as there's only a bit of water between them and the core country.:D Can I have Gibraltar too? :-D

Aaah - so you're including peat bog, swamp, lakes, rivers, pools, streams, rivulets, puddles, canals and marshland Brian...... B-) In which case I submit also the two North African territories of Spain, and the Canary and Med island groups too...as there's only a bit of water between them and the core country.:D Can I have Gibraltar too? :-D

Only if I can have Guadeloupe, Martinique, Reunion and French Guiana! Same argument applies. 

As to Gibraltar, as that famous Northern Irish preacher/politician with the Scottish name once (at least!) said:

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! :-)

Archived