Motorway tolls France and Spain

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

Although we have covered many miles in both countries this has been either by car on both toll and free roads or by van without using toll roads as we were never in a hurry in the van.

However as we are heading to Algeciras via Murcia in January it would be good to know exactly how much per km the class 2 toll is in France and Spain please to give us some idea of the potential cost of saving a bit of time.

Many thanks good people in the know!

If you cross the French/Spanish border south of Biarritz, turn south onto the autovia past Votoria (Gasteiz in Basque) then go via Burgos, Madrid and then Malaga, there is very little toll road to worry about - a few Euros will cover it.

For French Autoroutes, the price is not fixed per kilometre but varies by road. The best solution if to go to the French Autoroute site (if nobody replies to this post with the address, do a search using Google or ask.com.

Mel E

====

Guest Tracker

Thanks Mel - I had a look at the French Autoroute site before asking on here but was unable to find any details of the actual rates charged.

As we have friends in Alcossebre (twixt Tarragona and Valencia) who we would like to visit on the way we will possibly drop down from Bordeaux to Perpignan to the coastal route or maybe go via Pamplona & Zaragozza but mountain roads during January concern me a bit.

Try this link: http://tinyurl.com/5rh7ya

Enter start and destinations towns, (for France) and you'll generate a route that will tell you, with reasonable accuracy, the toll cost.  You'll need to adjust for vehicle type.  Try minibus, since these tend to go Class 2.

The toll cost will exceed the cost of one overnight stop on a campsite.  Crossing France on non-toll roads, in the direction of Spain, will take approximately one day longer than using toll roads, assuming one driver, sensible driving times/speeds, and meal/comfort stops taken at similar intervals.  If your journey dates are fixed, the campsite etc costs are no greater, you just spend the time in different places, so the tolls are a net oncost.  Approx cost Class 2, Calais-Biarritz, is 100 Euros (one way, that is!).  I don't believe there is much gain in the fuel required either way: you consume more on the autoroutes by going faster, and more off autoroutes by stopping/starting in traffic.  T'other cancels which, and you end up in roughly the same place, costwise!  If you can afford the time, go the slow way and spend the saving on a decent meal.  Much more fun!

Tracker - I agree with the above posters.

If you come down through the middle of Spain, to Madrid and then on down to Alicante or Murcia, I can't actually think of any toll sections.

But be careful about coming down the A7 east coast of spain motorway from south west france. There are a lot of toll sections on that motorway; notably, and expensive, from Barcelona to about 150kms south of there; and another expensive section from just south of Valencia down to just north of Alicante.

To get from Barcelona down to Alicante by motorbike or car (class 1) on the A7 (now renamed "AP7" on the toll, or peage bits) probably costs in the region of 50 euros in tolls now.

Twin-wheel motorhomes all get clobbered with class 2 here in Spain I think. Dunno the exact amount you'd pay for that run, but maybe double the class 1 amount?

If you do want to visit the Valencia area, might be best to come down via Madrid and then take the new motorway between there and Valencia (may be the A3, I can't remember, but it's clearly signed, and on every map). From memory there are no toll sections on that at all.

Then you'd only have to do Valencia down to Alicante as AP7 toll motorway (and the cost by car for that is currently 9.65 euros)......or even better take the A7 inland motorway to Alicante and you can even avoid those tolls.

BGD - 2008-11-06 9:33 PM

Tracker - I agree with the above posters.

If you come down through the middle of Spain, to Madrid and then on down to Alicante or Murcia, I can't actually think of any toll sections.

But be careful about coming down the A7 east coast of spain motorway from south west france. There are a lot of toll sections on that motorway; notably, and expensive, from Barcelona to about 150kms south of there; and another expensive section from just south of Valencia down to just north of Alicante.

To get from Barcelona down to Alicante by motorbike or car (class 1) on the A7 (now renamed "AP7" on the toll, or peage bits) probably costs in the region of 50 euros in tolls now.

Twin-wheel motorhomes all get clobbered with class 2 here in Spain I think. Dunno the exact amount you'd pay for that run, but maybe double the class 1 amount?

If you do want to visit the Valencia area, might be best to come down via Madrid and then take the new motorway between there and Valencia (may be the A3, I can't remember, but it's clearly signed, and on every map). From memory there are no toll sections on that at all.

Then you'd only have to do Valencia down to Alicante as AP7 toll motorway (and the cost by car for that is currently 9.65 euros)......or even better take the A7 inland motorway to Alicante and you can even avoid those tolls.

You could use the 332 from Valencia to Alicante no tolls but with a bit of a bottle neck at Oliva

Petedaniel

Guest Tracker

Many thanks to Brian, Bruce and Peter (sounds like a firm of Estate Agents dunnit!).

I'll read, compare and inwardly digest your sound advice.

We regularly travel to S.Spain from Calais. With out being stupid we use mainly N roads and apart from a section around Tours to Poitiers it is all dual carriageway. Total cost is around 25-30 euros (including 2 tolls on the Spanish side). We use the route the trucks use...fastest and cheapest. about 25 hours driving time in all. In some cases eg A10 and N10 after Poiters the N10 is shorter and quicker. The section between Bordeaux and San Sabastian (very boring) is free apart from the last 50kms and then only costs a few euros and is easier and quicker than trying to weave through the busy costal towns. Once over the boarder follow the N1 to Burgos. There is a Toll the other side on Vitoria and thats it.

We go to Spain regularly and never use Toll roads but fortunately we have the luxury of time. It usually takes us two to three weeks to get there ,I just tell TOM TOM to stay off toll roads and off we go. I know this is not much use to you when you ask about tolls, but I thought I would post it in case any others are interested. *-)

In the winter we do Dunkerque to Valencia in three days. No tolls and free aires.

First day, Abbeville, Rouen, Tours and overnighting at the aire in Saint-Maure-de-Touraine.

Second day, Poitiers, Bordeaux and overnighting at either of the aires in Biarritz or St-Jean-de-Luz.

Third day, Pamplona, La Almunia de Doña Godina, Teruel to Sagunto.

The A23 has been upgraded in the last couple of years and is now a fast toll free motorway with the mountain passes bypassed.

In total about 23 hours driving, but over three days is not too bad.

or even better take the A7 inland motorway to Alicante and you can even avoid those tolls.

Couldn't agree more. You pick up the non-toll A7 (por interior) south of Valencia on the A7 at Picasent, just before the tolled AP7 (por costa) kicks in.

Great road, usually pretty quiet and good scenery.

Guest Tracker
vindiboy - 2008-11-07 4:03 PM

We go to Spain regularly and never use Toll roads but fortunately we have the luxury of time. It usually takes us two to three weeks to get there ,I just tell TOM TOM to stay off toll roads and off we go. I know this is not much use to you when you ask about tolls, but I thought I would post it in case any others are interested. *-)

All points of view are appreciated - many thanks Malc.

Guest Tracker
derek500 - 2008-11-08 10:54 AM

In the winter we do Dunkerque to Valencia in three days. No tolls and free aires.

First day, Abbeville, Rouen, Tours and overnighting at the aire in Saint-Maure-de-Touraine.

Second day, Poitiers, Bordeaux and overnighting at either of the aires in Biarritz or St-Jean-de-Luz.

Third day, Pamplona, La Almunia de Doña Godina, Teruel to Sagunto.

The A23 has been upgraded in the last couple of years and is now a fast toll free motorway with the mountain passes bypassed.

In total about 23 hours driving, but over three days is not too bad.

I like this one Derek - many thanks.

Guest Tracker
Clive - 2008-11-08 1:24 PM

Why you use Autoroutes??

Whats the hurry?

We only ever use Autoroutes in an emergency with the camper.

C.

I don't use them if I don't have to but sometimes near towns and cities, unless you want to make quite slow progress on a convoluted route and in traffic, they are quite handy.

I was just trying to assess the cost per km in order to evaluate the cost to time differentials.

I would rather pay 10 euros or so to avoid spending ages in a large town - if thats what it costs to whip round say a 20km toll by pass.

But it's proving hard to get the actual costs involved in advance?

Tracker - 2008-11-08 3:42 PM

I like this one Derek - many thanks.

We tend to get an evening/night crossing from Dover to Dunkerque and overnight in Norfolklines' car park in Dunkerque, it's in front of the office/cafe/toilet building.

You need to drive out of the port area, round the roundabout and back in again. There is a slip road which leads to the car park, just to the right of the checking-in area.

here a few useful websites, if tolls are shown for cars multiply by 1.5 to get approx class 2 cost.

http://www.mappy.fr/

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/homepage.html

We follow the same route as Derek though we deaite after San Sabastian onto the N1 through the Tolosa Valley as we are heading to SW Spain. In January travelling by car our total tolls were:

Calais Rouen 6.9

Tours Poitiers 8.20 (avoids slow part of N10)

Tolls near Spanish border 3+2+1.5

total= 21.6euros. for a camper would be around 32 in total.

Remember apart from about 40 miles around Chartres , Vendome and Chateau Renault this is all dual carriageway/autoroute. Even this bit has alternating 3 lane sections for overtaking.

caljoe - 2008-11-09 7:06 PM

Last year we did "Pau" and then into Spain and the Tunnel du Somport into Zaragoza very good and no cost,think we are going that way this year as well.

Been using that route for over 25 years But do not recommend it in the winter time last time was in March very exciting driveing ,I saw many many accidents even with the new tunnel I would not want to do it again with a MH But I do agree with the road to Valencia from Zaragoza First class.

Pitty about the snow and ice From PAU To Husca.

Petedaniel

Archived